Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suggestions required for leaking flat felt roof

• 24-02-2010 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi there
    We had a large wooden garage built last year & extended same 6mths ago-the roof is roof wood sheeting & felt...Over the past 6mths various leaks have appeared. The builder initially returned and did a few patch up jobs with paint on sealer, bitumen and refelted in places but the leaks are still there & he's gone to ground :mad: So what do we do now ? I've been advised that the pitch on the roof is not steep enough & a friend suggested a corrugated roof... Needless to say our budget is non existant but we have to do something - Advice/ Suggestions/Help please ???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ChemoInf

Hi Marina,
    sorry to hear about your leaks. We have a small flat roof on our bathroom. The edge where it attaches to the main roof had a number of cracks, and leaks would run down that wall. A visiting roofer suggested slating, even though it has a pitch of about 5 deg. I think that would have been a mistake, as the roofer would not have been around to catch the leaks. Instead I got a roll of wide (~30cm) roll of bitumen/aluminium 'lead'. It's briliiant stuff. Because it's alluminum foil, it moulds around bumps and corners. Then the gooey bitumen layer (~1mm thick) makes a waterproof seal. It's safe, but they colour it lead to look the part. My trick was to use a hair dryer to soften the tar surface, then squeeze it down. Once that cools in place it is going nowhere!
    You may be able to cover the worst areas with overlapping runs of this stuff. Should be cheaper than a new roof!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MartinaFC

Thanks for the advice - unfortunately the garage/workshop is pretty huge so there'd be a lot of patching to be done....thanks though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 aj25

Only option is to re felt. no point in trying to patch over a bad job. if you can remove the old felt and lay timber firing pieces to increace the fall, fix down ply sheets and prime it. torch on felt in 2 layers an under layer and a top coat. then flash any part that joins the house with lead. think paralon is the name of the felt i used before. use a registered and acredited Paralon Agent and they will give a manufacturers 30 year warrenty on their product.

Advertisement