Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer on the way, what to look out for ?

Options
  • 24-02-2010 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭

Well thats it... I have declared the winter over !! :pac:

Was wondering from those with some experience here what kind of setups give good weather in summertime

What kind of things should you watch out for on the charts ?

Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

for those who want a long warm summer, with the potential for biscay storms from time to time, then a pattern simliar to the one we got during the big freeze would be what you're after, with winds coming from the east or southeast it could get quite hot!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭Speak Now

tinners wrote: »

Was wondering from those with some experience here what kind of setups give good weather in summertime

Thanks !

:( another Derek

I can't even dream of summer until the clocks go forward

Look out for wind and rain pushing in from the Atlantic on the charts though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Nice block pushing all our usual Atlantic rain down onto Spain - I get great satisfaction when that happens. :D

What's the story with those 'Azores Highs' whenever i hear met eireann mention one of them and the possibilty of good weather, I get ****e weather?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Thanks !

Down with this sort of talk !

As some one said cant even think about the winter being over till the clocks go forward ( before anyone wades in thats just IMO, I know there is prob a set date ) or we at least get our last hurrah from the snow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

the sun?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Down with this sort of talk !

As some one said cant even think about the winter being over till the clocks go forward ( before anyone wades in thats just IMO, I know there is prob a set date ) or we at least get our last hurrah from the snow

We had the last hurrah and it was rain !!!

Move on man, move on :pac:

ch750536 wrote: »
    the sun?

:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

We had the last hurrah and it was rain !!!

Move on man, move on :pac:

Not at all, This weekend is going to provide the goods and you shall be banished from any wintry activities for this blasphemy :P

Not at all, This weekend is going to provide the goods and you shall be banished from any wintry activities for this blasphemy :P

OOohhhh... why is there no handbag smiley ??? :p:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Tinners, Fri / Sat is gonna be SNOWMAGEDDON.. I can just feel it.. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Don't mean to burst your bubble but march is not looking too warm either.

These charts have been accurate as of late,

euT2mMon.gif

redsunset wrote: »
    Don't mean to burst your bubble but march is not looking too warm either.

These charts have been accurate as of late,

euT2mMon.gif

*sigh* Right im dusting off the rollercoaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

redsunset, those charts look horrible!!! i hate cold miserable summers . . .:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

redsunset, those charts look horrible!!! i hate cold miserable summers . . .:mad:

The chart for march might not be too far off but the others will no doubt change somewhat.

Anyway their anomaly charts and the summer looks normal,it don't mean it gonna be 0 degrees.

There a below and above normal guide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

how about swallows as a hint for when summers going to arrive??

or when the postmen come down from the hills and the foxes run aaround and chase their tails . . . ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

snow ghost wrote: »
    Nice block pushing all our usual Atlantic rain down onto Spain - I get great satisfaction when that happens. :D

What's the story with those 'Azores Highs' whenever i hear met eireann mention one of them and the possibilty of good weather, I get ****e weather?

Because you live in the west. The much fabled summer Azores High is of little benefit to those of us in the west as the normal northward's positioning of the Azores High during the summer months fails to kill of completely any warm fronts that usual move up along its northern flank. The result is usuall a lot of cloud/stratus from weak warm fronts with spitty drizzle at times while the eastern side of Ireland fairs much better.

If the Azores was to ridge dramatically over eastern Europe, or a true Scandinavian High was to influence our weather, pumping an east or southeasterly over Ireland, then this is much more favourable for the midland and western side of Ireland. The real hazy, hot, summery type days you are likely to remember from the past usually come from this type of set up. If the air is unstable enough, then there is always the bonus of a big evening storm too.

I really hope this summer see's a lot of these type set ups. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Look out for a wet May, I'm gone off these fine months of May as they are a bit of a con.

Advertisement