Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap LWB van or many skips

Options
  • 24-02-2010 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi Guys
    Have just recently bought a 4 bed house circa 1400sq ft. The house needs total renovation. I would consider myself quite competent and will be doing a lot of the donkey work myself i.e taking out old kitchen, bathroom, wardrobes, carpets etc. I know all the work in the house is going to take about four months as it need to be re cabled and plumbed and plastered. My question is would I save money if I bought a long wheel base van like a transit instead of hiring skips and by taking the waste to my local dump where you seperate iout all the contents into large skips for recycling. i have used this recycling centre loads of times and they cahrage about 10 - 15 €uro for a car and trailer so a van will not be much more.They also take builders waste. I have seen vans on local paper for about €1,000(D.O.E'd) and with insurance and tax for 4 months a total of about €1,500. It is extra work but I reckon when I finish and sell the van I would save a fair amount of cash. Also the van would be handy for collecting supplies from builders providers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

If you are going to do the work you say it sounds like a good plan as each skip is about €250, but then you would get an awful lot into 6 skips...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭mendel

Hi wondered about this ourselves, we bought a trailer, oh needed it for work (kinda) so thought it could save us on skips during renovation. Haven't looked into the cost at the dump yet. I'm interested that poster says skips cost 250 i assumed they were more costly than that?

Obviously this option creates leg work but for us (who know nothing about building) we thought it was at least somehting we could contribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

The last skip I paid for was €270 because I wanted it the morning after I rang. If I waited a day or two I could have gotten it for €250/230. That was 3 weeks ago.

Advertisement