Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cab+combo = louder sound?

• 24-02-2010 2:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,724 ✭✭✭✭

i have a peavey 75 watt combo.
    if i hook it up to a 4x12 will it make it louder?
    we also have a 15 watt solid state. would the cab make that louder?
    sorry for the noob question :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

a 4x12 would make it louder since its moving more air, but ive no idea if you can connect either of yer amps to it =/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,724 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

i'm pretty much sure the peavey has a speaker out......
    not too sure about the other one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Paolo_M

It will "feel" louder due to more air moving.

Whether or not it actually will be louder will depend entirely on the speaker efficencies.
    A 2 X 12 combo loaded with V30s will be louder than a 4 X 12 loaded with greenbacks, assuming both are a closed backed design.
    V30s have a sensitivity of 100dB and greenbacks have 96dB.

This basically means that a V30 will produce a SPL of 100dB when fed one watt from your amp. A greenback will produce 96dB with the exact same one watt.

The human ear is most sensitive at upper mid frequencies, where the V30 is strong, and so it will appear to be even louder. Some dont like V30s because of this, I think they are excellent when broken in and come into their own when used with high gain amps to cut through the mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

sure give it a whirl, whats the worst that could happen :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

As long as there's a line out it'll work and with the speakers in the bandits, it'll be louder. The speaker in the Bandit isn't great.
    (I have one too, but mine has a massive hole in it.:rolleyes:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

stetyrell, you'd be best off swapping in a more sensitive speaker. One of the reason SS amps are quieter is because they have cheaper, less sensitive speakers.

Is the Bandit really not loud enough for you? I can't imagine how it wouldn't be. I mean Swedish Death Metal bands used it, and with tones with scooped mids(which sounds relatively quieter in a mix). If you're playing more br00tal than At The Gates, then yes you probably need a louder amp. Try bumping up the mids a bit maybe?

Personally I'd recommend saving up 100 quid or so and getting

http://eminence.com/guitar.asp?speaker_size=12

Either the Lil' Texas or Tonkerlite from here. It'll also take about 8lbs off the weight of your Bandit(Bandits have heavy speakers), making it easier to carry, and will probably sound better too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,724 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

we might be playing eamonn dorans or academy 2 soon so the crowds go mental and it's hard to hear the bandit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

I can't see you having any problem. Just mic it up if it's too quiet, if they don't have a PA then you won't be able to have vocals anyway. Also, you could try splitting the signal into both the 15 Watt and the Bandit. That might give you a bit of a volume boost. Remember 100Watt is only twice as loud as 10Watt etc.

Advertisement