Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digging Through Past - Bad For the Spirit?

Options
  • 24-02-2010 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

I spent a while yesterday sorting through some old stuff, including loads and loads of old photos. Many of the people in the pictures have passed on. I felt an incredible negative feeling all evening. I was wondering was it down to the old stuff?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ROMARHEATING

I would be more inclined to think that the negative feelings u had were more down to the fact that those people are no longer around.
    Nothing to do with the stuff itself, but rather ur perception of what or who it represents.
    When someone dies our feeling sad is mainly due to us feeling sorry for ourselves - we will no longer get to see or talk to the loved one gone. And naturally any reminders of this person in the future will unearth those feelings of sadness.

What u could try next time u r sorting out old stuff, don't do too much in one evening to avoid getting overwhelmed. When u do come across a picture of a loved one who passed away try to shift your thoughts towards happy memories involving that person, while focusing on being grateful u had this person in ur life and got the chance to experience those positive emotions with them. Once you start feeling sad know that this is u feeling sorry for urself and shift ur thoughts and focus to more happy memories of this person. It is a gradual process and to a certain extent u will always end up with that little sad feeling after being reminded of those no longer with us.

Advertisement