Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm only getting faster!!!

Options
  • 24-02-2010 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

I decided to join boards ac team just after christmas 09. I have just got back into the running after a massive 12 years away from proper training and racing. I have been training very hard since Dublin marathon last October which i finished in 3hrs 46mins. Since christmas i have introduced speed work, tempo runs and fartleks into my training and managed to finish the Raheny 5 mile in a time of 30:45. I am now training 6 days a week, hence this blog. I have only one interest and that is simply to GET FASTER!!!!. (My main target this year is to break 30 mins for 5 miles) Anyway here goes.

Monday 22nd
    5 Mile tempo run in 32;47, felt good. Did two laps of the outside circuit in Malahide castle.

Tuesday 23rd
    7.5 miles slow run 57:47, Clontraf/Raheny area

Wednesday 24th
    5 miles slow run @ 7:30 pace, legs tired but glad to have gone out. 36:47. Malahide castle grass circuit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Bset of luck, your sub 30 should be in the bag this year :). Then get you back out on the track for some 1500m this summer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭foleyalan

Thursday 25th:
    Working all day so only got a core workout done.

Friday 26th: 35mins
    Went out to Malahide castle and did 3 miles slow on grass, followed by 8x100m strides with a 1 mile cool down in preparation for tomorrow's BHAA Garda race. I feel like I'm in really good shape. Im looking forward to this, I believe it is a great course??.

Saturday 27th, BHAA Garda race 4 miles

Was feeling really good this morning for my first cross country race in a long time. Conditions were perfect, no wind, no rain and not to cold. Ran a great race and finished it in a time of 25:28. Had a really good finish sprinting the last 100m and picking up another three places. Delighted with my run and felt good throughout the whole race. Nice to meet you today Gerard65.

Will head out tomorrow for a nice easy 5 miler.

4 miles cross country: 25:28

Sunday 28th:

Went out for a slow 5 mile today. Had a long stretch after and am just in the middle of can of well deserved Guinness since i didn't drink at all this week. Legs very tired after yesterdays Bhaa race. Finished 63rd in race yesterday so happy enough with that.

5 Miles : 38:54

Monday 1st: Rest Day

Tuesday 2nd: Speed work session (Malahide Castle)

1.25 miles warm up
    5 x 1.087 miles( slightly hilly)
    1.25 miles warm down

Started off with a 1.25 mile warm up, followed by 10 minutes of stretching. Felt quite tired today and my lap times where all over the place. I was trying to keep it at 6 minute mile pace but found it very hard after three laps. I felt like giving up after the third lap but just got stuck in for the last two and improved slightly on the last lap. Finished off with a very slow warm down of 1.25 miles. Im glad i finished it though!

Lap 1 : 6:30
    Lap 2 : 6:35
    Lap 3 : 6:38
    Lap 4 : 6:43 :(
    Lap 5 : 6:39

Total distance: 7.93 miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

foleyalan wrote: »
    5 x 1.087 miles( slightly hilly)

Just a guess but is that the lop around the pitch and putt course;)

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Just a guess but is that the lop around the pitch and putt course;)

Thats the one, i usually do all my speed work in Father collins park(1500m lap) in Donaghmede but wanted a change. I found the pitch and putt lap much harder. You must do a bit of training out in the castle then?. Im there 4/5 times a week, great place for running. Sometimes i run out from my house in Donaghmede to the castle and do a couple of laps and run back as my long run.

ha ha i just knew it cause of the exact distance - its my favourite loop on a long run. yeah living in malahide so my long runs on a sat morning are generally there - did that loop 7 times sat morning picking up the pace all the time. some people find loops boring but when you are working to time for tempo's and intervals its your only man because you have consistent terrain.

looking forward to the bright evenings returning as my normal run would be down to the portmarnock and back but having done it 5times a week for 6 months i need a change and for the castle park to open late.

good seesion btw.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    looking forward to the bright evenings returning as my normal run would be down to the portmarnock and back but having done it 5times a week for 6 months i need a change and for the castle park to open late.

good seesion btw.

Thanks, have you ever ran the malahide rd to balgriffin, back by portmarnock train station and back to malahide?. Good run a little dodgy when you get to the back of portmarnock(no paths):eek: but a good 11 miler loop. Thats what ill be doing when the evenings get brighter!. :D

yeah have run it a few times, but like you say - no paths make it not one for the winter months. any change of scenery is good tho im constantly going in search of new routes. im sure i ll see you out and about at some stage no doubt.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 3rd:

Went out for a slow 5 miles this morning. Legs tired from yesterdays speed work session. Took it very handy.

Malahide castle on grass,

5 miles : 39:24

Thursday 4th: Malahide Castle 5 Miles

Was out in Malahide castle again today, leg still a little tired from Tuesday. Decided to do an easy 5 miler(two laps of the outside circuit). Felt very good after the first lap so decided to push the second lap a bit. A good run, plenty of people out running at 8 am this morning in the castle.

Lap 1 . 18:35
    Lap 2 . 17:01

5 miles : 35:36

Thursday 4th: Malahide Castle 5 Miles

Was out in Malahide castle again today, leg still a little tired from Tuesday. Decided to do an easy 5 miler(two laps of the outside circuit). Felt very good after the first lap so decided to push the second lap a bit. A good run, plenty of people out running at 8 am this morning in the castle.

Lap 1 . 18:35
    Lap 2 . 17:01

5 miles : 35:36
    Should race over that lap sometime , i'm you wouldnt be too far off my best time on that lap..

shels4ever wrote: »
    Should race over that lap sometime , i'm you wouldnt be too far off my best time on that lap..

Hey gonna do fartlek tomorrow morning if you're around ?? Malahide castle for 10am.

Hey gonna do fartlek tomorrow morning if you're around ?? Malahide castle for 10am.

Working tomorrow and will be going ot do a session soon today, but will be doing an easy 10 on sat morning.

Working tomorrow and will be going ot do a session soon today, but will be doing an easy 10 on sat morning.

Staying out in Clonee on Friday night so will bring my gear and meet you in the park on saturday at 10 am?

Staying out in Clonee on Friday night so will bring my gear and meet you in the park on saturday at 10 am?
    Yep will be at the papal cross at 10am .

Friday 5th:(

Wasn't feeling well today so only went out for a slow 3 miler. Was supposed to do fartlek but gave it a miss.

3 miles : 22:07

I took 3 days off the running as i wasn't feeling well over the weekend. Went out this morning for a easy 5 miler. Nice and easy pace. Left calf slightly stiff. Done plenty of stretching afterwards.

5 Miles : 37:43

5 Miles, Malahide Castle(grass) : 37:40

Took it nice and handy again today as i was still not feeling the best. Beautiful day for a run.

Anybody thinking about doing the National road relay on the 11th of April ????

• Advertisement

Today was better than two weeks ago. I had missed a speed session last week as i was sick. Went out for me usual 5 x 1 mile @ 6 min/miles pace with 90 seconds rest between.I started off with a 1 mile warm up and some stretching. I did struggle again at lap 3 for some reason, legs felt tired and i was finding the going very hard.I managed to get it back on the forth lap but it all went up in smoke on the last lap. I just hadn't got anything left in my legs. Happy enough with the session all the same. My target for next month is to hopefully break 37 mins in the great ireland run.

1 mile warm up(grass)

Lap 1 : 6.07
    Lap 2 : 6.08
    Lap 3 : 6.15:mad:
    Lap 4 : 6.09
    Lap 5 : 6.20:mad:

2 mile warm down(grass)

Total : 8 miles

Today was better than two weeks ago. I had missed a speed session last week as i was sick. Went out for me usual 5 x 1 mile @ 6 min/miles pace with 90 seconds rest between.I started off with a 1 mile warm up and some stretching. I did struggle again at lap 3 for some reason, legs felt tired and i was finding the going very hard.I managed to get it back on the forth lap but it all went up in smoke on the last lap. I just hadn't got anything left in my legs. Happy enough with the session all the same. My target for next month is to hopefully break 37 mins in the great ireland run.

1 mile warm up(grass)

Lap 1 : 6.07
    Lap 2 : 6.08
    Lap 3 : 6.15:mad:
    Lap 4 : 6.09
    Lap 5 : 6.20:mad:

2 mile warm down(grass)

Total : 8 miles

I would have though that 6:15/20 is ok pace and the others a little fast :). Remember its training and not a race . Yor 5 mile race pace is going to be 5:59 ish so no need to go too hard in training.

I would have though that 6:15/20 is ok pace and the others a little fast :). Remember its training and not a race . Yor 5 mile race pace is going to be 5:59 ish so no need to go too hard in training.

Should i not be pushing myself in speed sessions. I dont see the point otherwise??? Will i not find it harder in a race then if i what to go faster than 6:15 a mile. Is it not all about training your body to do these speeds or is that where races come in? Sorry about all the Questions! If you could get back to me on these that would be great coach!:D

Thanks

Should i not be pushing myself in speed sessions. I dont see the point otherwise??? Will i not find it harder in a race then if i what to go faster than 6:15 a mile. Is it not all about training your body to do these speeds or is that where races come in? Sorry about all the Questions! If you could get back to me on these that would be great coach!:D

Thanks

Should be hard but not too hard(as you have a full weeks training to do ), I would have had you doing them at 6:12/20 pace,(5mile/10k pace +15) seconds per mile) .
    They should be hard but not too hard that you wont be able to train for a few days.
    When your racing you will be resting up and not doing a full weeks training. You were only 20 odd second away from your 5 mile pb today:) and you did an extra 3 miles.

Come race week you will reduce the volume of training and be much fresher and run 5X 5:59 easy :)

In a couple of week start on longer tempo runs 4-5 miles, and then join me on the Track for a thursday morning session.

But saying that I didnt listen to my own advise this week.

Should be hard but not too hard(as you have a full weeks training to do ), I would have had you doing them at 6:12/20 pace,(5mile/10k pace +15) seconds per mile) .
    They should be hard but not too hard that you wont be able to train for a few days.
    When your racing you will be resting up and not doing a full weeks training. You were only 20 odd second away from your 5 mile pb today:) and you did an extra 3 miles.

Come race week you will reduce the volume of training and be much fresher and run 5X 5:59 easy :)

In a couple of week start on longer tempo runs 4-5 miles, and then join me on the Track for a thursday morning session.

But saying that I didnt listen to my own advise this week.

I suppose that makes sense. I will deffo join you on the track next week. I have it in the diary already. How much does it cost for the hour and where is it in irishtown?

I suppose that makes sense. I will deffo join you on the track next week. I have it in the diary already. How much does it cost for the hour and where is it in irishtown?

Its Ringsend, Mick side we can park in his ma's house :) €5 to use.

4 miles, 31:22, Father collins park
    Friday 12th

Took it nice and handy yesterday. Felt good. Working all day today but will get out again on Sunday.

Had a bit of a break due to stupid work but got back this morning for a 5 miler in the Castle. Two laps of the outside loop. Felt good. Going to give the BHAA Maynooth race a go on Saturday.

5 miles, Malahide castle : 39:47

Nice and easy 4 miles today in the Castle. Did some strides from mile 2-3 and jogged in for the last mile. Lets hope the weather stays good for Bhaa Maynooth race tomorrow.:)

4 Miles, Malahide Castle: 32:32

• Advertisement

any idea of how early the park gates open. only info i can find is says 10 (http://www.fingalcoco.ie/CommunityRecreationandAmenitiesDepartment/Parks/ParksHeritageProperties/MalahideDemesneRegionalPark/)
    but its open when i go by in the morning

Advertisement