Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm only getting faster!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭foleyalan

kennyb3 wrote: »
    any idea of how early the park gates open. only info i can find is says 10 (http://www.fingalcoco.ie/CommunityRecreationandAmenitiesDepartment/Parks/ParksHeritageProperties/MalahideDemesneRegionalPark/)
    but its open when i go by in the morning

It opens at the Garden centre entrance at 8am Mondays to Fridays and doesn't open until after 9am on the weekends for some reason. The entrance at the village doesn't open till quite late Monday to fridays as people just park there and head into work for the day. Dont know if that help you?

Sunday 21st:

I was very disappointed to have missed the Bhaa race in Maynooth yesterday but Family come first. (so they say!!). I spent most of the morning/afternoon in the hospital with the wife(all ok now).
    I went out for a longish run this morning. Ran into Baldoyle, out onto the coast road to raheny and back to Donaghmede via Kilbarrack fire station. Fantastic day for a run. Not to sure how far it is?, around 6.5 i think.

6.5 miles, Raheny : 48:38 (6.7miles, map my run)

Monday 22nd

I've just started a new training program(Hal's 8k) and today was the start. 3 mile run @ 7.30 pace. Nice and easy, no problems. Then did some strength work, mainly sit up, press ups and some light weights with high reps on the upper body. Not really into weight but will give them a go for a while.

3 miles, malahide castle: 22:37 + 30 mins strength.

Tuesday 23rd

Day two of my new training schedule. 30 minute tempo run. Jogged for the first 10 minutes to get warmed up. Ran the tempo run at 6.30/mile pace. Felt very comfortable and relaxed. Got a monster stitch about 20 minutes into my run and had to slow the pace down until it went (thats what i get for eating 4 weetabix this morning). Finished off with a 10 minute jog to warm down. Overall felt strong, starting to believe that i will break 30 minutes in Walkinstown now:D.

6.06 miles, Malahide castle : 48:22

Wednesday 24th

I was down for speed work session today but didn't have the time today. I went out for a slow run in Father Collins Park instead. I left the run until lunch as i didn't fancy running in the rain. I did just over 4.5 miles at just under 8 minute pace. Very enjoyable run today.

4.76 miles, Father collins park, 35:34

• Advertisement

Thursday 25th

5 Miles nice and easy in Malahide castle.

Friday 26th

Rest

Saturday 27th

I was away for the weekend in Cambridge visiting Relations. Brought my running gear. Did a 30 min tempo run with 5 minute warm up and 5 minute warm down.

Sunday 28th

Nice easy jog for 30 minutes in some park in Cambridge. Back to Dublin now so can get back into the swing of things again. :D

Tuesday 30th

Slow Jog in Father collins Park.
    5 miles, 41:22

Took a couple of days off as i was very tired.

Friday 2nd

Hill of Howth run. Started at the Marine Hotel, ran to the summit and back down through Howth village back to the Marine. About 7 miles, nice and easy.

7 miles, 58.44mins

Monday 5th:

Ran from Clongriffin into Raheny and back via Howth road, through Baldoyle and back to Clongriffin. Just under 7 miles. I ran with two mates and we picked the pace up to 6.30 min/miles for the last two miles. Good Tempo run.

7 miles, 48mins

Wednesday 7th:

Nice easy 5 miles around and around father collins park. Finished off with 4 x 100m strides. Doing the Bhaa 4 mile on Saturday. Have to work on sunday so couldnt do the Road relay:mad:. Looking forward to the Bupa 10k in a couple of weeks.

I took the training nice and easy over the past two weeks as i was starting to feel very run down. Feeling good now, will see how i go on saturday. Sub 24 i hope!.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

foleyalan wrote: »
    Doing the Bhaa 4 mile on Saturday.

What sector do you work for Alan and we can see if you can get on a team?

I work in Retail stmochtas. Would be good to get on a team. Was trying to set up one from work but no takers yet . I have one maybe so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

I work in Retail stmochtas. Would be good to get on a team. Was trying to set up one from work but no takers yet . I have one maybe so far.

Can you PM me your employer name and I will see what I can do? ;)
    If I get it early I might be able to get you setup for Saturday.

• Advertisement

Thursday 8th:

Went out for a slow 5 miler today. Felt really good and the pace turned out to be a little faster then i expected. Finished off with 6X100m strides and a 1500m warm down. Felt really good today.:D

5 miles, Raheny, 35:33

Friday 9th

Just a very short one today to get the legs moving for tomorrows Race. Just jogged 3 miles in Father collins park followed by 6 x 100m strides. Beautiful day out.

3 miles, Father collins Park, 26mins

Saturday 10th

4 miles 24:22

Race went quite well. I went off too slow for the first two miles. I was hoping that in would break 24 for this race. Went through 2 miles in 12:16, managed to get some time back over the next two(12:06). I usually have a good sprint finished but the legs wouldn't let me this time. Happy enough with the run all the same. Next race is the Bupa 10k next Sunday.

Sunday 11th

Hill of howth run today. Took it nice and handy going up the hill as the legs where still tired from yesterday. Sels decided to up the pace half way up and that was the end of the slow run! THANKS MARK!!!!

7 MILES, Howth hill, 53.09

Collecting my new Garmin 405 tomorrow, Happy days!!

Tuesday 13th

Went out for a 8 miler this morning. I started at Clongriffin and ran out to Portmarnock, taking in a nice hill on Wendell Ave and then back to clongriffin. Felt great and it was a nice pace too(7.29 average). My new Garmin is deadly!!:D:D

Ill be looking for a good time on Sunday, hopefully get close to 38 minutes.

8.01 miles, Portmarnock, on road : 1:00:25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Tuesday 13th

Went out for a 8 miler this morning. I started at Clongriffin and ran out to Portmarnock, taking in a nice hill on Wendell Ave and then back to clongriffin. Felt great and it was a nice pace too(7.29 average). My new Garmin is deadly!!:D:D

Ill be looking for a good time on Sunday, hopefully get close to 38 minutes.

8.01 miles, Portmarnock, on road : 1:00:25

Howth this Sat? Sunday might not be a great morning after Sat night....

I'll run the hill a bit slower for you next week ;)

Im doing the Bupa 10k on Sunday so will probably just do a short one on Saturday. Wont be drinking Saturday night. Gonna give the bupa run a real lash. Will hope to go through 8k in 30 minutes:eek: this time so am looking for a fast time.:D

Wednesday 14th

Took it nice and handy today. Went to malahide castle for a slow 5 mile on grass. Bumped into a follow runner today and ran with him. The company today on my run was a nice change and i picked up alot of new tips to improve my times over 5 miles, thanks Pat!.

5 miles, Malahide castle, on grass: 39:43

Thursday 15th

Went out for a late run today. Went to Father collins park for a short 4 miler with Macker. Finished off with 3x400 strides . Feeling good for sunday!.

Father Collins Park, 4.58miles, 32:27

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Wednesday 14th

Took it nice and handy today. Went to malahide castle for a slow 5 mile on grass. Bumped into a follow runner today and ran with him. The company today on my run was a nice change and i picked up alot of new tips to improve my times over 5 miles, thanks Pat!.

5 miles, Malahide castle, on grass: 39:43

Sharing is caring...bring on those tips:D

Macanri wrote: »
    Sharing is caring...bring on those tips:D

If i told you id have to kill you!:D

• Advertisement

Well didn't get anywhere near 38 minutes. I really struggled in this race. It started off really well, went through 5k in 18:07. It was probably a little fast but i felt really good, i was actually holding back a bit as i wanted to save energy for the rest of the hills. 6k,7k,8k where an absolute disaster, i didn't think i would even break 45 at this stage. As soon as all the hills had gone i got straight back into my pace and was flying again. The last kilometer was my second fastest at 3:40. When i saw the clock at 39 i started to sprint all out and stopped my watch at 40:00 dead. The chip time was 39:59 so I'm taking that.
    I was happy i broke the 40 but disappointed in my splits. Looks like hill intervals are in order!! Hi to all the boardies i met after the race and well done Mick, you where flying when you past me at 8k.(6.5k)

Glad you got in under the 40mins anyway. I tought it was around 6.5k when I passed you, not 8?? Anyway I was sorry for you that I was passing you knowing your target.

Anyway, gives you the target still to go for (on a flatter course maybe).

Good to meet you Alan, last time we met we were probably skulling pints at some party in Portmarnock! A bit of a change.

Yeah gonna give the Bhaa race in the k club a go on Saturday. Its a 10k too. So hopefully will get a better time then. What time did you do in the end, you where flying when you passed me, You looked really strong.

Tuesday 20th

Went out to Malahide castle for a slow 5 miler on the grass. Took yesterday off as a rest day to recover from sundays race. Legs felt good but kept it slow at 7:59 Avg Pace.

Malahide Castle, 4.73 miles, On grass, 37:43

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Tuesday 20th

Went out to Malahide castle for a slow 5 miler on the grass. Took yesterday off as a rest day to recover from sundays race. Legs felt good but kept it slow at 7:59 Avg Pace.

Malahide Castle, 4.73 miles, On grass, 37:43

Howth on sunday?

Yeah gonna give the Bhaa race in the k club a go on Saturday. Its a 10k too. So hopefully will get a better time then. What time did you do in the end, you where flying when you passed me, You looked really strong.

All the best for the K Club 10k. I don't think strong is a word I would use to describe myself (maybe I just raised my shoulders and stuck out my chest as I passed), manged to do it in 39:10 so am well happy with that.

shels4ever wrote: »
    Howth on sunday?

Maybe, Gonna run the bhaa on saturday so ill see how i feel afterwards.

Wednesday 21st

Decided to take this week easy as i want to race on Saturday. No tempo runs or intervals. Went out for a nice slow 5 miles again today. I took it nice and handy at 8min pace. The calves where a little tight when i finished so did plenty of stretching and a 1 mile warm down.

6 miles, malahide castle, grass, 48:45

shels4ever wrote: »
    Howth on sunday?

Hey i can probably do a slow one around lunch time on Sunday, if you are still interested?

Saturday 25th

This race went alot better then the Bupa 10k. I started out alot slower then the previous weeks race. This time i went through 5k at 18:47(instead of 18:07). I felt comfortable through out the race. Unfortunately my legs had nothing left in them over the last 2k and i faded away a bit. Still came home under 40 with a new PB of 39:41. Happy enough with my run. Might give next weeks bhaa race a miss as doing a leg in the relay in belfast the following Monday.

Bhaa 10k, K Club, 39:41 (PB)

Sunday 26th

Went out for a slow run yesterday. Started in Portmarnock and ran out to Malahide and back the back roads. Lovely run with plenty of hills. Took it nice and handy. Legs sore today so gonna take a rest day.

Portmarnock, On Road, 5.41 miles, 42:01

• Advertisement

Glad to hear the race went well for you Alan. Maybe increase the distance of your weekly LSR (a little increase each week) and that might help with the later stages of a race. Not that I've enough experience to be dishing out advice, but I think that may help. Congrats again.

Advertisement