Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm only getting faster!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭foleyalan

Thats exactly what i need to do. Also need to start doing some Hill intervals and get back doing my speed training. Ill have you at the next one!!! :D

Sunday 26th

5 miles nice and easy. Ran from Portmarnock to Malahide and back the back roads. Just over 5 miles. Legs tired from yesterdays race.

5.4 miles, on road, 42.02

Wednesday 29th
    3.2 miles, Father collins Park, 32.34

Saturday 1st

5 miles nice and easy in the Castle, last run before belfast Marathon relay on Monday. Good turn out , 6 of us.

5 miles, malahide castle, 41.01

Monday 3rd May: Belfast Marathon Relay Leg 3 (7.1 miles)

A group of ten of us went up for the relay this year. Two teams, our team were always gonna be runners up but we wanted to get as close to them as possible. At our change over we were 15 minutes down after only 9.5 miles. I went of at 6.20 pace and managed to maintain a steady pace throughout the full 7.1 miles. Mile 5 was my fastest at 6.02 for the mile. Finished very strong in a time of 45:32. We managed to finish the relay in a time of 3 hr 22 mins(66th overall), over 24 minutes behind the other time who finished in 19th overall in a time of 2 hrs 58 mins. Great craic but i think next year we wont go on the piss the night before the race!!!!.

Wednesday 5th

Went out for a recovery run. Decided to take it nice and easy at 8 minute pace. Felt really good and noticed i was at 7:30 pace. Continued at that pace. Kinda enjoyed the rain today. Ran from Clongriffin into kilbarrack, down to the Howth road and back through Baldoyle. Looking forward to Walkinstown saturday week.

5.26 miles, on road, 39:02

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Alan, just so you know I believe the Retail team are holding a prize for you from the DCC race in Raheny.

:DThanks stmochtas,

Ill try and hook up with them at the next race. Thanks for that.

• Advertisement

Friday 7th

Went out for a 10 miler this afternoon. I ran into clontarf and back via the Howth road. Measured 10.34 miles. I tried to keep it at a steady 8 minute pace but ended up at 7:45 for most of the run. Found it a little hard on the coast road as the wind was very strong. Happy enough with my run.

10.34 miles, 1:19:30 (Avg Pace 7:41).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

foleyalan wrote: »
    Friday 7th

Went out for a 10 miler this afternoon. I ran into clontarf and back via the Howth road. Measured 10.34 miles. I tried to keep it at a steady 8 minute pace but ended up at 7:45 for most of the run. Found it a little hard on the coast road as the wind was very strong. Happy enough with my run.

10.34 miles, 1:19:30 (Avg Pace 7:41).

Decent spin Alan, it's a good sign when you're struggling to keep the pace slow

This was my first time doing this run. Wasn't expecting anything amazing today as the beach was in rag order. The beach was covered in this slippery scum of some sort. Anyway went out at 6 minute pace and felt really good went through the first mile in 6:01, the second was a little slower in 6.09 and the last mile in 6:02. Finished in 18:12 in 32nd place, i think. Didn't see any of the IT team there???.

Wednesday 12th

Went out today for a short run in my new Kayano 16's to break them in. Did just over 5 miles. Leg felt great after last nights race. No problems.

Father collins park, 39:57, 5.32 miles, Avg pace 7:30

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

great time yesterday alan, if you can run that time you should be running 38 for 10k (at least). I was going to mention it a few weeks ago but didnt but i see macanari did, you defo need to get that long run up (as i see you have with the 10m) and even a medium midweek run in (7-9miles). you clearly have the speed.

if you look at your log you ll clearly see you do alot of 5milers but only 4-5 runs of 7miles+. I think thats why your struggling at the end.

• Advertisement

kennyb3 wrote: »
    great time yesterday alan, if you can run that time you should be running 38 for 10k (at least). I was going to mention it a few weeks ago but didnt but i see macanari did, you defo need to get that long run up (as i see you have with the 10m) and even a medium midweek run in (7-9miles). you clearly have the speed.

if you look at your log you ll clearly see you do alot of 5milers but only 4-5 runs of 7miles+. I think thats why your struggling at the end.

Totally agree with you Kennyb3, I will be getting out for at least 1 long a week and hopefully start doing some hill intervals too. Just need to get Sundays race out of the way and i will be back training hard. Hoping for a sub 30 on Sunday so dont wanna over do it this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Totally agree with you Kennyb3, I will be getting out for at least 1 long a week and hopefully start doing some hill intervals too. Just need to get Sundays race out of the way and i will be back training hard. Hoping for a sub 30 on Sunday so dont wanna over do it this week.

I would say get them up to 12-15 miles on non race weeks, you still had your marathon miles in your legs early in the year but they wont last for ever.

Friday 15th

Just did a short 3 miles to get the legs warmed up for Sundays race. Finished off with a couple of strides at 5:55 pace.

3 miles, Malahide castle, 22:43

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

All the best for Sundays Race - What is it?

Just one more thing on building up the milage and/or the LSR distance - use the 10% rule as a guide for increasing both the weekly milage and the LSR distance.

Macanri wrote: »
    All the best for Sundays Race - What is it?

Just one more thing on building up the milage and/or the LSR distance - use the 10% rule as a guide for increasing both the weekly milage and the LSR distance.

Doing the Walkinstown 5 on Sunday. Won't be doing anything over 13 miles in training. Not really interested in Marathons at the moment. Really Enjoying all the shorter races. Thanks for all the tips and keep them coming.

Well yet again the race didnt go to plan. Went out way to fast, first mile 5:42. I was running with a guy who posts on boards (jaymack75) sorry forgot your name and he told me that we were at 5:39 pace so i slowed it down. Managed to get into a bit of a comfort zone for mile 2 which i clocked at 6:00. I went through 3 mile at 18:01 but at this stage i was slowing alot. Felt sick and just had nothing left in the tank. Finished in a time of 31:24. Disappointed but glad i ran. Gonna up my long runs and cut down on the amount of races i am doing. I will keep it at 1 race a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Well yet again the race didnt go to plan. Went out way to fast, first mile 5:42. I was running with a guy who posts on boards(...... 97?) sorry forgot your name and he told me that we were at 5:39 pace so i slowed it down. Managed to get into a bit of a comfort zone for mile 2 which i clocked at 6:00. I went through 3 mile at 18:01 but at this stage i was slowing alot. Felt sick and just had nothing left in the tank. Finished in a time of 31:24. Disappointed but glad i ran. Gonna up my long runs and cut down on the amount of races i am doing. I will keep it at 1 race a month.

Cheers for the encouragement at the end there today. Felt great to get back to my schoolboy sprinting days :D

Monday 17th

Went out for a slow 50 minute run to loosen the legs up after Sundays race. Legs felt good. Gonna concentrate on upping my milage and slowing down the pace in training runs. Starting a new training schedule which will hopefully work.

6.19 miles, 51:36, avg pace 8.20

New Training Schedule

Week 1

Monday: Slow 40-50 mins Build this run upto about 70 mins over a few weeks.
    Tuesday: 4 x 1000m @ 6:20 pace 2 mile warmup and warmdown
    Wednesday : Slow recovery run 30/40 minute run this can be as slow as you want but not faster then 8:15 idea is to get the blood moving and allow legs to recover after the session on tuesday.
    Thursday: 90-105 minute Run @ 8 /8:15 minute pace, last 2 mile @ 6:30 pace start off with 90-105 mins you could even run a little slower if you wanted for the first few miles.
    Friday: Recovery run 4-5 miles @ 9 min pace.
    Saturday: Rest Day
    Sunday: 45 mins easy @8:30 pace.

Tuesday 18th

Interval session: 4 x 1000m, 2 mile warm up and 2 mile warm down
    1. 1000m @ 6:39
    2. 1000m @ 6:20
    3. 1000m @ 6:38
    4. 1000m @ 7:00
    (jogged this one as i was knackered)

Found this though, i think it was to soon after the race on Sunday. Will see how it goes next week. Finished off with 2 mile warm down.

Wednesday 19th

Recovery run:

Went out to Malahide castle for a slow 30 minute run. Felt good

3.45 miles, 29:39, avg pace 8:37

Thursday 20th

Decided to get out nice and early this morning as it was already 15 degrees at 8:30 this morning. Ran from Clongriffin to Malahide and back via Portmarnock. Great day for a run. Tried to keep the pace slow. Felt really good throughout the whole run. No problems.

Time: 01:28:48
    Distance: 11.12 miles
    Avg pace 7:59

Thursday 20th

Decided to get out nice and early this morning as it was already 15 degrees at 8:30 this morning. Ran from Clongriffin to Malahide and back via Portmarnock. Great day for a run. Tried to keep the pace slow. Felt really good throughout the whole run. No problems.

Time: 01:28:48
    Distance: 11.12 miles
    Avg pace 7:59
    Nice run, i'll have you running slower then 8 mins miles soon ;).

• Advertisement

Friday 21st

Took it nice and handy today. Left foot was slightly sore starting off but went after a mile or two. Probably the new shoes???.

Time: 00:36:28
    Distance: 4.39 miles
    Avg pace: 8:18

Just had alot going on over the past while so wasn't posting on my training log. Training has been going really well. I started my Marathon training about 5 weeks ago and just finished my longest weeks training last week. At the moment i am training for a 3:15 marathon.

Tuesday 10th :

10 mile fartlek session

Wednesday 11th

8 miles @ 8:30 pace

Thursday 12th

8 mile @ marathon pace

Friday 13th

10 miles easy @ 8;30 pace

Saturday 14th

SLR 18 miles @ 8:35 pace

Monday 16th

8 miles nice and easy around and around Father collins park. 10 mile fartlek on the cards for tomorrow.

8 miles : 1 hr 5 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

glad to see you've kept progressing. Are you gonna race on Sat? If so, what time are you shooting for?

Monday 16th

8 miles nice and easy around and around Father collins park. 10 mile fartlek on the cards for tomorrow.

8 miles : 1 hr 5 mins

Maybe cut back a little on tomorrows session and give it loads on Sat. You have a 66 min in you at the moment if you taper a bit this week.

christeb wrote: »
    glad to see you've kept progressing. Are you gonna race on Sat? If so, what time are you shooting for?

Yeah racing on Saturday alright. looking at in and around 65/68 mins maybe. Should be good for 65 mins i reckon.

shels4ever wrote: »
    Maybe cut back a little on tomorrows session and give it loads on Sat. You have a 66 min in you at the moment if you taper a bit this week.

Sure im taking Friday off!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

well FA, good to see you're still hard at it. All the best for the 10miler on Sat.

Tuesday 17th

8.6 mile fartlek, took this nice and handy today. Felt good .

• Advertisement

Wednesday 18th

Went out for a very slow 8 miles today. Was very tired after a hard day at the office!!. Just ran up to bull island and back to Clongriffin.

8 miles @ 8:45 pace.

Thursday 19th

I was down for a 10 miler today but changed it to a 8 miler with some strides and finished off the last couple of miles @ 10 mile race pace. Felt good throughout. Rest day tomorrow.

7.86 miles @ 8:10 pace

Advertisement