Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm only getting faster!!!

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭foleyalan

Saturday 2nd

22 miles today. Ran 10 miles before meeting up with Shels and a Mate of mine(Steve)for the last 12. Took it nice and handy and flew the last 3 miles. Avg pace was 8:55. Managed to run the last 3 miles in just under 22 minutes. Legs feel good now. Looking good for Dublin, still undecided if i should go with the 3:15 pacers or run my own race??.

21.95 miles, Malahide, 3hrs 14mins 22sec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

foleyalan wrote: »
    Saturday 2nd

22 miles today. Ran 10 miles before meeting up with Shels and a Mate of mine(Steve)for the last 12. Took it nice and handy and flew the last 3 miles. Avg pace was 8:55. Managed to run the last 3 miles in just under 22 minutes. Legs feel good now. Looking good for Dublin, still undecided if i should go with the 3:15 pacers or run my own race??.

21.95 miles, Malahide, 3hrs 14mins 22sec
    I'd prob run my own race, Don't think your too far away from been able to run 3:15 but might be better going out at Just under 7:40/45 pace and see how you feel at 18. If your feeling good then you'll make up time from then on.

Your 6:30/7 last few miles were very strong today, wasnt able to drop you ;)

Went down the doctors this morning as i couldn't shift this cold i had since Friday last. Turned out to be acute Sinusitis and he has put me on antibiotics for the week. Feckin great timing with only two and a half weeks to go to the marathon. Really pissed off.:mad:

At least you will have it sorted this week, better to have it nwo then 2 weeks time, your last long run is done so relax and don't push it too hard this week.

Sunday 10th

Got back into the swing of things after 7 days out sick with a 5 mile run. Felt good throughout. Didn't want to do to much as i was still sick.

5 miles, Raheny, 37:34

Monday 11th

10 miles today, ran out to Saint Annes park and did 5 miles in the park. Felt tired. Im still not right . Finishing Antibiotics Thursday so should be back to normal by the weekend. Fingers crossed.

10 miles, Raheny, 1:25:47

• Advertisement

Wednesday 13th

Legs felt tired this morning so decided to loosen them up with a Marathon pace run . Went out for 8 miles at marathon pace. Found the going hard, still fighting off this cold. Managed 8 miles at 7:33 avg pace. This is how my training looks for the last few days before the BIG ONE.

Thursday: 8 miles easy
    Friday: 10 mile easy
    Saturday: 10 miles easy
    Sunday: rest
    Monday: 5 miles easy with strides
    Tuesday: 4 miles easy
    Wednesday: 3 miles easy
    Thursday: 3 miles with strides
    Friday: 3 miles easy
    Saturday: 2 miles easy
    Sunday: 1 to 2 mile jog
    MONDAY: 26.2 miles @ 7:30/7:45 pace:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Wednesday 13th

Legs felt tired this morning so decided to loosen them up with a Marathon pace run . Went out for 8 miles at marathon pace. Found the going hard, still fighting off this cold. Managed 8 miles at 7:33 avg pace. This is how my training looks for the last few days before the BIG ONE.

Thursday: 8 miles easy
    Friday: 10 mile easy
    Saturday: 10 miles easy
    Sunday: rest
    Monday: 5 miles easy with strides
    Tuesday: 4 miles easy
    Wednesday: 3 miles easy
    Thursday: 3 miles with strides
    Friday: 3 miles easy
    Saturday: 2 miles easy
    Sunday: 1 to 2 mile jog
    MONDAY: 26.2 miles @ 7:30/7:45 pace:eek:

Good plan, I would substitute Wednesday with 6/7 mls with 2 @ mp in the middle and take either Friday or Saturday off completely, cause it means 7 days straight before the race otherwise (albeit easy days), but thats just me. Hard to believe it's days and not weeks to the big one :eek:

Might do that alright. Dont mind to much about the 7 days straight as the milage is low and ill be taking it very easy. The Marathon pace session is a good idea alright. Starting to look forward it the big day now.

Thursday 14th

Ran out to Howth today and did the hill nice and easy or so i thought!. Felt good today. Legs slightly tired but nothing to worry about. Happy days!

8 miles, howth, 1:04:09, 8:01 avg pace.:eek:

Friday 15th

8 miles nice and handy, legs still not feeling to good. Felt sluggish.

Saturday 16th

Only did 5 miles today as i still dont feel 100%. To be honest i struggled mentally with this run, just didn't want to be out there and just gave up after 5.

Sunday 17th

Rest

• Advertisement

Relax your training is done, your not sick anymore you will recover in a couple or days. Have a nice easy week and remember that you have done all your training. Your in Far better shape this year, eat well, sleep well and drink well for the week and you will be grand.

Monday 18th

REST

Tuesday 19th

Did 5 miles today with the last 2 miles at marathon pace. Decided on my pace for the marathon. I reckon i will go out at 7:40 pace and hopefully have something left in the tank towards the end to try and chase the 3:15 pacers down!. Will be happy with 3:20 finish.

5 miles, Malahide Castle, 40:17

Wednesday 20th

Went out for 5 miles tonight. Did the last 2 miles at Marathon pace(Felt good). Really looking forward to Monday. I really think i have a good time in me . Felt good today which has given me a real boost. Roll on Monday!

5.5 miles, Baldoyle/Kilbarrack, 41:12 .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Best of luck monday Alan.

Nice pb today might not have been what your after but not ever day you run a 16 min pb.

I felt in great shape yesterday morning, got up at 6 am to have my porridge and toast and was feeling good about the day. I hit town at around 8am and did a short warm up with some stretching. My plan today was to go out with the 3:15 pacers and hope for the best!. (Probably not the best plan)

Started of well no problems at all, come 10 miles i was feeling that this was way to easy and that maybe i should push on ahead. I decided to stay put with the pacers and see how i feel a little later on. We where bang on time come 17 miles and i was still feel great. My wife was at 18 miles with two more gels for me and i knew then that this was gonna be a great time. I felt fantastic. I was gonna push on ahead of the pacers and go for a faster time.

I Hit 19 miles and started to feel a slight pain in my left hamstring followed by a huge stabbing pain. I ran on trying to keep with the pacers but started to loose them. My left leg became DEAD, followed shortly by my right leg. I knew at this stage 3:15 was gone. From mile 22-26.2 mile it took me a painful 39 minutes. What the hell happened. All this training for my legs just to give up. I kept positive and just kept on ticking the legs over.

I was passed by the 3:30 pacers at Trinity College. I wobbled over the line with a new PB of 3:30:42 over 16 minutes faster than last year, so happy days with that.

Looking forward to some shorter races in the next month or two. Dublin Championships xc end of November, followed by Raheny 5 in January(deffo sub 30 here)

Feck that was hard:D

Well done on your time nice run, maybe a little too fast over the fist 19 miles when I seen you in front of the 3:15 lats at 9 I was a little worried, but a few phone calls along the route and you seemed really easy at 17 miles, maybe the sickness for 10 days took a bit out of you , but your not far away from runnning 3:15. But I once I get back in shape I think I can go faster then your 3:30 so you better keep the training going...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Fair play for giving it a lash and congrats on the pb. Its only a matter of time before you go 3'15. Might be targeting sub 30 myself in raheny, see you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Fair play, Alan, it was nice to meet you out there. I was wondering where you disappeared to at the time. Sounds like a pretty horrendous way to finish. Nice that you still got a PB out of it though!

• Advertisement

Yeah it all happened so fast. How did you get on? I watched you fade away into the distance. Did you manage to hang on to the pacers?????

Really nice to meet you too. I was delighted to have finished with a PB.

Alan

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good running Alan. Congrats on the PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Well done Alan, congrats on the PB. A pity the legs didn't hold up. At least it gives you more minutes to knock off the pb for your next outing.

Macanri wrote: »
    Well done Alan, congrats on the PB. A pity the legs didn't hold up. At least it gives you more minutes to knock off the pb for your next outing.

Cheers Mick,

Am thinking about doing Belfast in May next year so will give that a go for the 3:15 . Thanks again for the Sponsorship, we raised almost 1,500 for Temple street Hospital.

Cheers
    Alan

Good running Alan. Congrats on the PB.

Nice PB yourself, Shame about your ankle. Congrats again.

Alan

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Nice PB yourself, Shame about your ankle. Congrats again.

Alan

Meh, soft PB, soft PB. Easily beaten soon hopefully. :D

Thursday 4th

Ive been out three time since the Marathon, all handy 20 minute runs. Went out today for a 5 miler, Felt good. No problems with the legs. Gonna start my new 8k training plan on Monday. Looking forward to getting back to some short, fastish races!!!!

5 miles, Malahide castle, 39:15

Thursday 4th

Ive been out three time since the Marathon, all handy 20 minute runs. Went out today for a 5 miler, Felt good. No problems with the legs. Gonna start my new 8k training plan on Monday. Looking forward to getting back to some short, fastish races!!!!

5 miles, Malahide castle, 39:15

So no waterford for you then? Might meet up with you for a fast 7-8 miles the week after next. if you can keep up ;)

Yeah wont be doing Waterford. Ill take that challange!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭AJCOT

Great running earlier on the beach & another prize for the Retail team. I have a voucher & lightbulbs for you & another guy has a tee shirt. Can we meet before Santa slides down the chimney or we sell the lot on ebay! See you at the Ward?

Advertisement