Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Docklands Rail Station

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

JHMEG wrote: »
    That is my perception and I dare say the perception of the majority of commuters on that route.

Perception does not equal reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

BostonB wrote: »
    If they put some secure bicycle parking near it, it might help.
    There are bikes racks in the arches.
    I bet you will find the Navan trains using the interconnector, or connolly until electrification.
    It would be really difficult, based on current plans for Navan trains to use the Interconnector. Nobody has ever suggested they will.
    My main point in starting this thread was to ask how useful is the Docklands Station to Dublin given it will be replaced by an underground station 100m away with direct connecton to Luas.
    Actually several hundred metres.
    What was planned as a temporary Station is now (if you believe some people) going to become permanent, with routes redirected to it.

Is this a good example of how a city like Dublin should be developing its public transport?
    No, its a bad idea, especially as CIÉ want to put a new bus station in the Connolly car park.

i think IE haven't done nearly enough to promote the docklands station, there is definitely a perception it's in the middle of nowhere when it is 5 minutes from connolly, ten to tara street and fifteen to pearse less if you use the dublin bikes.
    Connolly is 10 minutes door to door, never mind the time it takes to get through the concourse to platforms

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Ireland+(Docklands+railway+station)&daddr=Connolly+Station+Dublin&hl=en&geocode=FeQQLgMdhcug_yFfuhv5oRhO9Q%3BFcETLgMdraGg_ykbk8K0jg5nSDGdq8qOZ_xxwg&mra=cc&dirflg=w&sll=53.352595,-6.24473&sspn=0.004765,0.011587&ie=UTF8&ll=53.351499,-6.244912&spn=0.004765,0.011587&z=16
    DWCommuter wrote: »
    It is located in an area with a very high rate of crime, hence the regular ERU patrols on the streets. The area can rightly be referred to as "dodgy" This point has nothing to do with peoples wealth.To twist it to such a view is nonsense. JHMEG was right yet again.
    That is down to a feud between two extended families, not the general background level of crime. If it was a high crime area, then all the banks would leave, wouldn't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

KC61 wrote: »
    Perception does not equal reality.

If my perception of something is bad, then that's my reality. If the actual reality is different then the service provider/stakeholder/vested interest is going to have to do something to educate me.
    Victor wrote:
    If it was a high crime area, then all the banks would leave, wouldn't they?
    With all due respect that's a purile argument. Banks have security personel, and don't walk alone after dark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Apologies JHMEG for using the term nonsense. Shouldn't have done that.

I still believe you're wrong however on this and virtually all your points about public transport.

I'd be interested in how much cheaper people think a temporary station could have been built than the docklands station? what could/should have been taken out given that it was supposed to be temporary?

I still believe you're wrong however on this and virtually all your points about public transport.
    Surely not all of them? Statistically is that possible? ;)
    I'd be interested in how much cheaper people think a temporary station could have been built than the docklands station? what could/should have been taken out given that it was supposed to be temporary?
    A temporary station. Do you remember the temporary stations on the Maynooth line before the current ones were built? Eg the station that was in Castleknock for years.

Temporary train stations don't need marble floors or elevators, never mind permanent ones.

With all due respect that's a purile argument. Banks have security personel, and don't walk alone after dark.
    LAst train from Docklands is at 19:20.

Victor wrote: »
    LAst train from Docklands is at 19:20.

Is that supposed to be a good thing? :) (I didn't realise it was that early)

Sunset is currently around 6pm. 19:20 is dark for 6 months of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Surely not all of them? Statistically is that possible? ;)

A temporary station. Do you remember the temporary stations on the Maynooth line before the current ones were built? Eg the station that was in Castleknock for years.

Temporary train stations don't need marble floors or elevators, never mind permanent ones.

well, i did say virtually!

i don't actually know what castleknock was like beforehand and i'm fairly sure docklands doesn't have any marble.

but with the requirement to be accessible for all, i'm seriously trying to wonder what differences there could be between a temporary and permanent station. there doesn't seem to be much room to play around with in regard to what could be left out. especially given docklands was originally going to have a long 10 year temporary status.

• Advertisement

i don't actually know what castleknock was like beforehand

That's a shame as the temporary Docklands is finished to a higher standard than even the permanent station that's now at Castleknock. It's also ironic that you were saying I don't know what I'm talking about!
    i'm seriously trying to wonder what differences there could be between a temporary and permanent station. there doesn't seem to be much room to play around with in regard to what could be left out.
    Go and look at Castleknock station right now and compare it to Docklands. You'll see what can be left out of a permanent station, never mind temporary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

If my perception of something is bad, then that's my reality. If the actual reality is different then the service provider/stakeholder/vested interest is going to have to do something to educate me.

Well the reality with Docklands Station is that there is public transport from the station - there are two bus services directly outside the station - the 90 and 151.

The reality also is that you can walk perfectly safely from the station directly through the arches under Sherriff Street bridge and through the Spencer Dock apartments to the LUAS stop at Spencer Dock, or continue walking along Mayor Street towards the city. There is no need to walk anywhere near Sherriff Street.

KC61 wrote: »
    There is no need to walk anywhere near Sherriff Street.
    The whole area has an air of dodgyness. It's not confined to just one street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

well, i did say virtually!

i don't actually know what castleknock was like beforehand and i'm fairly sure docklands doesn't have any marble.

but with the requirement to be accessible for all, i'm seriously trying to wonder what differences there could be between a temporary and permanent station. there doesn't seem to be much room to play around with in regard to what could be left out. especially given docklands was originally going to have a long 10 year temporary status.

The long term intention is that the station building would be an entrance to the underground station when it comes into being. CIE initially wanted to build it on the opposite side of the road but this was apparently scuppered by planning chiefs as were proposals for a more modest building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Hamndegger wrote: »
    CIE initially wanted to build it on the opposite side of the road but this was apparently scuppered by planning chiefs .

Have you any data on that?

Thanks.

The whole area has an air of dodgyness. It's not confined to just one street.
    Sure, the area is post industrial. However, for the duration of the Luas construction, I took photos about once per month, so I've been down there maybe 25-30 times. Other than traffic offences the only thing dodgy I ever saw was a guy with what looked like an unmuzzled pit bull.

Correction, I once saw two dodgy looking guys in a car, but then I realised they were gardaí.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Have you any data on that?

Thanks.

http://www.irrs.ie/Journal%20160/160%20News.htm

http://www.irrs.ie/Journal%20168/168%20Docklands.htm

You could search for planning permission records as well but I'd hardly say you have that amount of time:)

Victor wrote: »
    Other than traffic offences the only thing dodgy I ever saw was a guy with what looked like an unmuzzled pit bull.
    I used commute via that station regularly to beat the crush on the Maynooth train. I've seen a few dodgy things.. syringes, gangs of kids robbing stuff, domestic disturbances..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Hamndegger wrote: »
    The long term intention is that the station building would be an entrance to the underground station when it comes into being. CIE initially wanted to build it on the opposite side of the road but this was apparently scuppered by planning chiefs as were proposals for a more modest building.

I thought I was going mad for a minute and you had stumbled across some scandal.:(

Ive read the IRRS link. It appears that the issue concerned access and the use of the arches as part of the station structure, because the station was always planned to be in Spencer Dock North as opposed to Spencer Dock South. Construction of office blocks in the south yard had already started by the time IE were planning Docklands.

As Ive said previously CIE never planned to have the station in the more convenient south yard.

Thanks anyway. Normal service has resumed.;)

Advertisement