Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband

Options
  • 24-02-2010 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

I've just moved to Belfast, got a great apartment near the Odyssey. Now I need some net access. I had a look at http://www.broadbandchoice.co.uk, and looking for 20Mb+ lines with no download caps gives me a choice of BT, Be, O2, Virgin and TalkTalk. Anyone have any experience good or bad with these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

I'm using Sky. TV (3 packages, no premium stuff), phone with unlimited calls and uncapped broadband to 20mb (although I can only get about 6mb in my location, but that would be common to all providers).

The whole lot comes in I think at £45/month. I've no complaints about speed or service either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭deadbloke

I've noticed this 6Mb lark on BT and Virgin's websites. I'm surprised that I can only get 6Mb but I'm sure there's a perfectly valid yet annoying reason for it. I expect it makes getting a package over 6 meg pointless? Surely there's no point paying for a 20Mb line when I can't use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

Not a clue. Most of the uncapped packages are tied to the higher speed plans though, so if you still need quantity despite lack of speed then your tied.

If speed is the priority then Virgin cable bb is the way to go without doubt, its like lightning.

Only thing that annoys be about Sky is the crappy router they supply and your login is locked into it. It wouldnt annoy me but the wireless range by comparison to BT routers is pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭deadbloke

Just checked Virgin's site, cable isn't available in my building :(. TalkTalk offer an 8meg package with an 80Gb cap add on for £4 extra, this might be the best option. Anyone know if TalkTalk do any traffic shaping or anything?

Advertisement