Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queer as Folk vs. Queer as Folk

Options
  • 24-02-2010 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Just wondering what everyone's favourite version of Queer of Folk is; the American one or the original UK one?

Personally I prefer the UK one. It comes across as much more real than the American one, which over the years became a bit too carried away with itself.

I also found Brian became just very annoying, and not as 'true' to character as Stuart was. The one thing I did enjoy about the American version was that Lindsey and Mel were great characters and I could've happily watched a spin-off with just them in it (though I don't fancy them!)

I think the final reason why I prefer the UK one is the writing of Russel T. Davies which I always love. He can be fun, serious and though provoking, all at the same time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

What in Gods name is Queer as Folk ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Has to be the original Uk queer as folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

The UK version, without question. Grittier, more interesting characters, more believable events, and it ended properly and at the right time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

The English one for sure.
    But the US one certainly had it's moments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I just can't deal with the horrible Manc accent, so it has to be the US one for me (may have been spoiled by seeing US one first before watching UK one).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

snappieT wrote: »
    I just can't deal with the horrible Manc accent, so it has to be the US one for me
    :eek: Ehh best accent around.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

The debate that defines our generation :)

Sometimes I think the UK one because the characters and stories are more realastic and relatable, but then they screw it up all up in the end where the two main characters become outlaws in mexico

But the US one is like all cool and glossy :) and evolves more as a series, it's basically the gay Sex and the City

I'm gonna say the US one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,953 ✭✭✭Daith

Loved the British one. Never saw the american one but did visit some of the locations shown when I went to Toronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Never watched the US one at all - The UK one was brilliant

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Only saw the UK version and absolutely loved it!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Saw the UK one, loved it, saw the first episode of the US one, didn't bother watching any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I watched the US one first, really enjoyed it, then saw some of the UK one and hated it. UK Brian is just not hot enough to be that much of a tramp :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

The professional speaks. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

azezil wrote: »
    I watched the US one first, really enjoyed it, then saw some of the UK one and hated it. UK Brian is just not hot enough to be that much of a tramp :p

Yes! Cannot take him seriously as a sex god. Whereas Gale Harold (Brian) is sheer yumminess.

azezil wrote: »

Its the irish accent, it will go along way in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CSaber

Stuart may not be as yummy as Brian, but I think I'd rather have Nathan over Justin!

Interesting thing about Nathan is that he now stars as a bad ass in Sons Of Anarchy

From
    charliehunnam3.jpg

to

6a00e54fb7301c883400e553e661fc8834-800wi
    to

charlie_hunnam_1193422861.jpg

to

charlie_hunnam_shirtless_sons_of_anarchy_1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CSaber

He looks completely different in the last shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Epicurus

Would prefer the US version. I didn't feel the UK characters were given a chance to develop as it was so short. They just seemed a bit caricature-ish. The US one is perhaps a bit too long, but there are a lot more important topics dealt with LGBT rights in the political arena, gay parenting through both the biological route and through adoption, gay marriage. Plus the UK idea of 29 year old man 15 year old boy sickened me.
    CSaber wrote: »
    Stuart may not be as yummy as Brian, but I think I'd rather have Nathan over Justin!

I'd take US Michael over any of that lot :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement