Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many have you / would you like?

Options
  • 24-02-2010 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

I know it's been done before, but I think it's worth asking again every once in a while. You know...people change. :)

We have 3 now. I'd like at least 1 more, probably would want 2 more but age will be a consideration so we'll play it by ear.

You?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I have 2, can't say I really wanted any but here we are and I don't want any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Have two and was warned after my last pregnancy that I shouldn't have any more - which is fine, because we don't want any more anyway! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bogtotty

I have one. I never really wanted any when I was younger, but since the wee man was born I'd like to have five or six more. Age, finances and career prospects being what they are, we'll have two more, all going well. I don't care about the boy/girl mix either, just want three children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

Have 1st one on the way so it is all purely theoretical :D
    But I would like to have at least one more because don't want my son to be an only child and can't imagine the whole parenting lark is going to be horrible enough that I change my mind.

OH is from a family of 7 and would like the whole herd of kids and I would in principle be up for it, but I guess only time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

We have 2 kids. Only 18 months between them. I wanted a third and am raging we didnt go again with the same age gap between them but time has moved on. Think I will always regret not having a 3rd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

We have two. I wanted to go for another shortly after number two was born but my husband didn't. I accepted that with good grace. Now the youngest is 4 and I can't imagine going back to sleepless nights again, but if it happened ( which is unlikely) so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

We have one, would love one more. If money, career and other things weren't an issue i would love 3 but i think it's very irresponsible to have more kids than you can afford :eek: It's a very personal choice isn't it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I have 3, one boy and two girls. I never had a sister, so I am so pleased my girls have one. I'm hitting 40 soon, so any more is definitely out of the question - I'm looking forward to getting on in my career.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

2 boys 1 girl. 3 years ago said would ahve another in 5 years, well its still another 5 years....

am happy with what i have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

I have 1 boy :) but I would like to have 7 but the lady told me to dream on so 3 max :( I need a daddy's lil princess :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

I have three beautiful little girls, and now that I have a full set, I am finished. People tell me 'never say never' but there will definitely be no more!!

I had two. Swore I'd never have any more. Unfortunately they died in an accident. I had another because I didn't really know what else to do! She is now 5 and I am besotted with her. I would happily never ever have another child but I don't want my daughter to be an only child. My body is fecked though, haven't had a period in years. Came of depovera 18 months ago. So now waiting on an apt to get that looked at. If all goes well I would hope to be pregnant in the summer but that seems too easy. I'm absolutely dreading sleepless nights and dirty nappies again. :pac: Also terrified of things going wrong etc but guess it has to be done.

Drama :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

i have 3 ...2 girls and a boy..i would love another 1.. but my husband is adamant about going for the snip... i think if i even suggested it he'd have me committed!! our youngest is just 7 weeks today :eek::D but i really really want another...

cbyrd wrote: »
    our youngest is just 7 weeks today :eek::D but i really really want another...

:pac: Fair play! I think I'd be the one giving him the snip at that stage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I have 4- two boys and two girls. I would happily have had 4 more except for the lack of money and an enormous house and live in maids!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I know it's a bit sad, :) but he's such a happy baby i'd love him to have a playmate .. his sisters are 11 and 7, and i've given up work for good and it's so different this time round, i have time to enjoy him, and also when i'm pregnant i don't have to worry about my waistline!!! hahaha lame:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

We have 4 children, 3 boys and a girl. Only planned for one:eek: Hubby got the snip about 4 years ago so we are definitely done. The youngest is 8 and I'm starting to get broody as he is exiting that "young " stage. I knew this would happen with me and that was why we decided to go for the snip at the time when I knew I didn't want anymore. So to fill that "gap" I went back to college and am now in 2nd year of my science degree. Hopefully I will go on to do a Masters and so by time the littlest is 12 and my eldest is 20 I'll be ready to go out into the big bad workforce world....

Well, that's the plan anyway;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I have 2 boys, my younger lad is 12 and I'd hate to have another, jaysus the thoughts of it at my age would be unbearable.

Being the eldest of 9 I wouldn't inflict a large family on my lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Waiting to pop now, it has been not been easy for us to have a child (even though all my husband has to do is look at me and I am pregnant!) as we have had miscarriages and other issues but I would still love another 2...ask me again when our son is born...I only have one sybling so I feel that I lost out but having a big family is not me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I have 3 so far, Girl(10) and two boys (4 & 1). I am really wrestling in my mind on whether to have another one or not.

I love my children, I love when they are babies.

Ask me in another 6 months, hopefully I will have decided by then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Quality wrote: »
    I love my children, I love when they are babies.

Hehe. Yeah, the only way I know for sure I want another is that we were out for a meal the other night (god bless the in-laws) and she said "you know...if this is the last you'd better enjoy all the stages" and that freaked me out. Her too. :)

mariaf24 wrote: »
    i think it's very irresponsible to have more kids than you can afford :eek:

How would you decide that a person (yourself included) had reached that point though? :confused: Genuine question. I'm not trying to trap you or whatever.

Nobody's gonna go hungry in Ireland because there are too many children in a family like. For me it's a tradeoff between what I'd call the "high end comforts" and the benefits of having an extra child. So maybe we can't afford such a nice holiday if we have an extra child, or maybe we have to eat out less, or maybe the kids don't get nike's or whatever, but I'll get an extra hug when I walk in the door, and they'll have someone to play with, etc.. :)

I think childcare becomes prohibitively expensive beyond 2 children anyway unless you're both on a very serious wage and therefore ceases to be a problem (i.e. for most people you have to have one of the parents at home if the number of children is 3 or more so there is no extra childcare cost for an extra child at that point).

But....like I said in another thread there recently, I don't think there's a breaking point financially (in fact, I'm surprised it's such a big consideration for so many, though maybe that's naivity on my part :)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

we have two and are happy with that. I love the ages they are now (5/7) and couldn't go back to the baby stage now. I'm too old anyway :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Good point Khannie,
    I dont see how having money or not having money can make you irresponsible?

Should only rich people breed?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I have one, she wasn't planned. I always wanted another fairly shortly after I had her and I would've been happy with two.
    But ex dragged his heels and then we split so she's 7 now and I'm single.

Due to the age gap I'd say if I go again I'll want two more, so 3 in total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Good point Khannie,
    I dont see how having money or not having money can make you irresponsible?

Agreed. I'm flat broke most of the time but my daughter is loved and cared for and I'm a good mother even though I was also broke when I had her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I have 2... both six weeks old.

In theory would like more but wife not so sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I have see big families and it always seems that some kids get lost and do not get enough of their parents affection, some can feel like they were just there to look after the home/other kids...for me I want to devote as much individual attention to my child/kids (if we are lucky) as possible.

LOL. :D
    CathyMoran wrote: »
    I have see big families and it always seems that some kids get lost and do not get enough of their parents affection, some can feel like they were just there to look after the home/other kids...for me I want to devote as much individual attention to my child/kids (if we are lucky) as possible.

Yeah, that's another thing completely. It's one of the things that would stop us wanting a very large family (more than 5). Of course there are benefits as well as down sides for the kids (lots of people to play with, people to look out for them in school, more toys to share, etc. etc.). I'm not having trouble sharing affection with 3 so far (though it's *very* early days) though I'm finding I have been more conscious of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Have one and another due in July.

The End.

:D

Advertisement