Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying 1st DSLR-cost estimates & advice please

• 24-02-2010 5:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I know this is a bit of 'how long is a piece of string' (and I have read the 'thinking of buying/getting started threads' but here goes anyway.

I'm going to upgrade (from Panasonic FZ 28) to a dslr (haven't decided on make etc yet).]
    Budget would be 'small' to begin with (€400 or so, ideally €300 or so. I could stretch it if it'd really be worth it).

Trying to figure out what I'd need and prices, totally open to 2nd hand.

I suppose I'd start off with a body 1 lens and then build up from there.
    These would be the main lens I'd be interested aquiring after the body, can people tell me what kind of prices I'd be looking at and any advice etc.:
    • indoor/low light/portraits (nifty 50?)
    • general all round lens
    • sports lens

Down the line would probably get a macro lens
    macro lens/general close up (how good would a 'normal' lens be at close up? As good as/better than this (taken with FZ28) or this?

I've seen this good article ( & same for Nikon) but I'm wondering about stuff like 2nd/new prices, recommendations etc.

Obviously could buy something like this on Adverts to get started.
    Is it better to have image stabilisation in the body, does this mean that lens will then be cheaper as you dont need the technology in the lens?
    Some say-
    Canon have more 2nd hand lens available.
    Buy expensive body as you'll always use that.

Anything else that'd help me would be great.

thanks,
    Patrick.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

Not an option many people like but I would recommend getting a second hand camera. The Olympus E1 would be within your range that is an outstanding camera. Its an older model but the sensor still outshines most lower end and medium range DSLR camera on the market. My house mate has a Canon 50D and when comparing imagines on print and screen my E1 was outshining his in most cases.
    I have since moved on to the Nikon D700 but I had that camera for over 5 years and only for I was lucky to stumble into enough money to upgrade I would be using the E1 and happy about it

You can probably still find a new one some place but very much doubt it.
    Try conns cameras or someone else like that and see if they have one with a warranty. Possibly try the north if you dont trust the net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

Wow, an E1 recommendation! It's a great, solid camera but getting a bit long in the tooth.

I'm going to recommend a camera with in body IS, the Olympus E520, as you'll save on not having to invest in IS lenses. Also there are mount adaptors available to allow you to use old manual focus lenses in poor light. Pentax K, Olympus OM, old Nikon lenses all mount with cheap adaptors from ebay. You can also just about get the camera and a kit lens within your budget by using this place http://photoagora.gr/olympus-e-520-kit-me-14-42mm-lens.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I am sure you have heard this before, but whatever you choose you are buying into a system. It sounds like you plan to carry on with Photography so look at the bigger picture.

The three major systems are Nikon, Canon & Sony.

Nikon have been up there since they introduced the F1. Canon are the other big player. The advantage of these two is that there is a huge range of options & support.
    Sony are the new kids on the block but are there for the long haul I think. They have the heritage of Minolta to give them their back catalogue & Carl Zeiss lenses for their future. They have IS in body as opposed to In Lens for the other two.

If I were starting off now I would choose between those three & if necessary wait until my budget improved.

The nifty fifty is the best value lens around so highly recommended. The Kit Lenses will do for most "general" stuff, though the Nikon Kits are much better build than their Canon equivalents. For Sports the lenses tend to be very expensive & maybe better discussed when you have the budget for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

duffarama wrote: »
    Wow, an E1 recommendation! It's a great, solid camera but getting a bit long in the tooth.
    "bit long in the tooth"? Yes and no. Features and shutter speed I would have to agree but as its a 1/2 frame sensor and only 6MP the sensor physical size are actually bigger than the modern equivalent ones so it operates better in low light. Thats the reason why the Nikon D700 is 12MP and not more (or so say Nikon but I say the proof is in the pudding and I can vouch for it).

I started college in September and there were a wide range of cameras there and in results my was keeping up with our outshining the newer models. Since then I have upgraded and so have others but if I was still using it I would be happy it could keep up.

The E1 was a market leader in its class for some time and is a highly under rated camera.
    Now that you can get them cheap its a great buy imho. I would sell you mine for next to nothing but I am giving it away to a very good friend as a wedding present as he is a amateur photographer and does not have anything good

Advertisement