Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing open fire to gas fire question?

• 24-02-2010 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of changing from the open fire we have to a gas fire but am not sure exactly what type I have to get. With the type of fireplace we have I've been told I can get a gas fire that will just sit into the space and can be connected to the gas as there already is a line for it. But someone else then told me that all the heat goes up the chimney and I'd have to get one that blocks the chimney so the heat comes out. Is this right? I haven't a clue so any help would be appreciated. I've added a pic of the fireplace just for reference.Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ryan T

To be honest Vinnie 70 I have a gas fire in my fireplace and it is rubbish.No way near the heat from a real fire. Expensive to run. Would not recommend at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Vinnie70

What did it cost you to put in Ryan T? Do you have the same type fireplace I have?

Similiar fireplace. Came as part of the house I bought. Mine runs off bottled gas.€107 a bottle and you could buy one a monnth

Jesus that sounds waaaaaaaaayyyyy too expensive. I'd be running it of the mains though.

Anyone else have any ideas?

• Advertisement

Off mains gas would be cheaper. My chimney has a 'lid' on it just at the bottom of the flue which has to be open when the fire is lighting. But when its not lighting the lid can be closed to stop down draught from chimney which is handy. Haven't a clue about cost of installation or of the appliance itself but I think i will probably take it out this summer and just have an open fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭neeb

We have one of the insert ones, chimney is still open. Its absolutely rubbish for giving off heat. I don't know how much it costs to run because we never put it on, just boost the central heating instead.

Blocking off the chimney sounds like a bad idea just looking at it but I'm not an expert. Where would the fumes go? Would you have to install a vent to the outside like the boiler? Is there access for this, i.e. is the chimney on an outside wall?
    Here is a comparison of costs to run efficient appliance, gas or oil are the cheapest and usually gas is more efficient. However those fires are not efficient. Open fires are very inefficient too.
    http://www.sei.ie/Publications/Statistics_Publications/Fuel_Cost_Comparison/Domestic_Fuel_Cost_Comparison_January_2009.pdfcient. Do they do gas stoves?

Hi Neeb. That link doesn't work. We live in a semi detached house so I dunno if an extra vent could be installed if it was needed. Anyone any idea on the the chimney having to be blocked up/cost etc if I did get in a gas fire?

Does not get blocked up because the fumes go up through the chimney-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Need2Know4Sure

Hey Vinnie.

Are you set on going for a gas fire?

Would you consider getting a small stove fitted. Im thinking of going down that route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭celtboy1888

never block off a chimney that is in use...especially gas!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

You need to get a vent installed now AFAIK and I wouldn't get one as other posters have said they are rubbish, I can't wait to move and get a real fire again..

Hi Need2Know4Sure, I never really thought about it. Is that what you are doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Need2Know4Sure

Well im in the "thinking about it" phase.

Ive seen a few installed and the heat off them is unreal.

Ive a regular size sitting room (3 bed semi) and youd get a good stove for 300-400 (more for fittings) but it think they are very efficient.

There loads of threads on here about them and some pic so youll see what they end up looking like....Think its best to have them sitting outside the fireplace to get max heat out of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭youtheman

Vinnie, I was down this very road when my house was built (albeit almost 20 years ago). I don't reckon things have changed very much in the interim, though.

If you get a gas 'insert' for your fireplace then it will give out practically zero heat. In fact it is purely for show.

You can get a similar fire, which greater efficiency, but you will have to replace the cement liner at the back of your fire place.

The most efficient fire, and the one I went for, sits out from the fireplace and has a glass screen (because is uses convection rather than radiation). It is no-where near as appealing on the eye as a real or fake fire, but I wanted efficiency over asthetics. To get it to look nice in your fireplace you would have to remove the steel insert (as it is not flat) and replace with tiles or some other non-combustible material.

No matter what fire you are going for, get the data sheet and look for the efficiency figure quoted. Or divide the 'heat output' figure by the 'heat input' figure to calculate it. You should really be looking for something around the 70% efficiency (minimum).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Ryan T wrote: »
    Does not get blocked up because the fumes go up through the chimney-
    never block off a chimney that is in use...especially gas!!

Definitely don't do this if your gas fire requires a chimney.
    However you can choose from a wide range of flue-less gas fires that burn so cleanly they don't need a chimney flue and can be vented straight into the room just like a Superser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭celtboy1888

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Definitely don't do this if your gas fire requires a chimney.
    However you can choose from a wide range of flue-less gas fires that burn so cleanly they don't need a chimney flue and can be vented straight into the room just like a Superser.

AND STINK THE HOUSE OUT WITH HEAVY FUMES? sorry for the caps

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭neeb

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Daithi07

Gas fires = 20% Efficiency, Dont do it!!
    I got an energy survey carried out on my home and was old a small stove is the best option available.
    Fuel lasts longer than an open fire and also you close the chimney up so you are not losing any heat in the room up there! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

We have one and use for mainly decorative purposes.

Having said that, it avoids the hassle with dragging in buckets of coal.

• Advertisement

Daithi07 wrote: »
    Gas fires = 20% Efficiency, Dont do it!!

What we shouldn't do is generalise, decorative gas fires are as the name suggests er,, decorative and are not designed to give a highly efficient heat output, but are designed to look lovely and keep pigeons bums warm.
    inset convection fires are designed to convect heat(asper Youtheman) and can achieve higher efficiency values, the fire in this link: http://www.firesgalore.co.uk/product.php/1241/valor-homeflame-dream-gas-fire gives 89% efficiency which isn't bad, i would agree that a stove is going to keep the energy chaps happy and do a good job of heating at a efficient price if picked right, the same goes for a proper fitted convector fire, it isn't that far away from a stove once people stop confusing it for a fire that designed to be pretty and a friend to birds with a cold arse, Gary.

Advertisement