Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The end of the road (are we there yet?)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Best of Luck PG. I hope not to see you during the race :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Many thx to all. Limited Internet access. 3.23.45 is the final. Met ronanmac at the start. Got muscled out once the horn went and endedup a long way off the horn went and ended a long way behind the 3.15 ballon. I finally rejoined them about mile 17. Calf start acting up at mile 6, and became a problem at mile 10. Finally I figured that speeding up made it feel better so I zipped through 14-17. Around 20 I met Krusty but by then earlier fast miles and hills were taking a toll. So I had to tell him that I was unlikely to be around for long. Over the overpass on the dual carriage way I hit the step to the sidewalk arkwardly and the calf flared up. Lots of bad laguage - sorry Ronan! Diappointingly at mile 23 the legs went and the last 3 miles were grim.

Met plodder at the end and meno and brianderunner on the way into the bar! Had to rally the other 3 runners so could not stop to meet. I have not yet read the rest of the logs here so I hope the day went well for all. Mrs p got a pb which given her dnf last time I am trillled with. Nephew ran 3.41 off minimal training and brother in law got his best time of the year.

I've mixed feelings. Happy with the BQ -not to upset with missing 3.15 given that I might have missed the race but I need to figure out why Idied at 23. Still a decent next step ....

Congrats to all !

Ok ... after a few nice days of running the Grand Canal and now the Gresyones and Delgany I finally some internet access.
    An accident with a hair dryer tok out the adapter we needed for the lap top :rolleyes: so internet access has been limited. So while everyone else has moved on here's my thinking on Dublin.

Race itself was great. The crowds really were fantastic - especial thanks to the two women on Grand Canal St one a the bottle of water, the other with a jelly baby when things were grim !

My one gripe was with the water stops : hard to see them coming and much shorter than I am used to so I missed the first two completely.

My own performance :
    Looking at the splits I am shocked by the degree to which I fell off the pace in the last two miles. I got "jelly" legs but still I had not idea that I had fallen so badly off the pace.

Mistakes :
    1) Only took two gels. took the first two roughly on schedule but was feeling so good mile 13-16 that I got complacent and did not bother. probably not a good idea.
    2) Over hydrated ? The convenience of water in bottles may have lured me into drinking too much. First time I ever took a toilet break in a race - though my urine suggested I was dehydrated .... so not sure what to make of that.
    3) Maybe over relied on the pace group or put too much into rejoining the pace group. Also when the calf started being a problem speeding up made it feel better so miles 13 to 18 I was may have pushed it a bit. Whaterver the cause the splits suggest the classic "too fast too early" crash.

So what is next:

Well the positives are a PB, a BQ and a race which I can learn something from (not completely sure what yet). Clearly endurance is a problem and I need to look at my training for this - maybe I enjoy the LSRs too much ? May also been that the absence of hill work in P&D left me poorly equipped for the 18-20 miles in Dublin.

With some shorter races coming up in the next months I am tempted to follow Krusty's example and start a 10k program. Barcelona looks tempting but it may be too early in the year if we have a rough winter that curtails outdoor training.

Suggestions welcome ! Ok my parents are now revoking my internet priviledges :o.

Splits:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Hard luck. You ran a good race all the same despite your pre-race setbacks. Would you consider Kildare for a Spring marathon?

Not entirely sure I'll be running Barca myself, might give myself more time to get my fitness, strength and conditioning back. I'm just going to see how training goes before deciding on racing Barcelona. Plenty of Irish and UK Spring/Early summer marathons.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Looks like a perfectly executed plan, but for the last 4 miles. I'd say the small number of gels could've been a contributing factor. How did you sleep in the days leading up to the race? Would've been the middle of the night stateside right? Maybe some late night long runs are in order. :)

The water-stops were a little poorly organized. I missed several, but just grabbed water from the other runners (most people seem to only drink about 1/3rd of the bottle).

• Advertisement

Hard luck. You ran a good race all the same despite your pre-race setbacks. Would you consider Kildare for a Spring marathon?

Thanks, but don't get me wrong - as a basis for improvement I'm not unhappy with it. As regards Barcelona .... well no offense to Kildare but .... Kildare v. Barcelona .... I mean ... I know Kildare has many great qualities ... but still ...
    How did you sleep in the days leading up to the race? Would've been the middle of the night stateside right? Maybe some late night long runs are in order.

Oh ... right I can it now as I head out at 3am. "It's that bloody Irish nut again. Right get the gun" - and that's just Mrs P. :eek:

Time to start getting serious again. The NY marathon had me itching to get out and punish myself again ! Congrats to everyone who ran it. It is supposed to be a tough course beginning with the 59th Street bridge.

On the trip back I cam across a quote from Beckett that I really like and seems appropriate :
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Somehow this seems like a good motto for my marathon attempts.

Since DCM:

Oct28: 3.9 miles @ 10.59
    Oct29: 2.2 miles @ 10.49
    Oct31: 5 mile @ 8.35
    Nov1: 4.7 miles @ 8.41
    Nov4: 6 miles @ 7.58 HR M/A 159/206
    Nov6: 15 miles @ 8.17 HR M/A 137/183

Ok ... while pondering on Dublin and looking over my log from the NJ marathon in search of a reason why I faded so badly in the last miles in Dublin and reading eg. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055723042 (this deserves a boost) I had a flash of inspiration. My longest runs in training for Dublin were 3hours 10 (20 miles) in July, a 3.03 in mid September (22 miles), 2.58 in October (22 miles), 2.56 in early September (21 miles). So I was getting faster while still keeping the runs in the LSR pace range .... but at the faster end of the range. The fade started at about mile 23 and probably at about 2 hours 50. Bottom line is I think the fade may be a symptom of not enough "time on feet" during the long runs - aka running the LSR too fast.

Not taking sufficent gels probably contributed - though I rarely use more than one gel on training runs so while this was a mistake it was not critical and a late Cliff Blok and what ever I got from the crowd on Grand Canal St did little to revive me.

For the next marathon training cycle on some (not all) LSRs I will run for time (in the 3.15-3.30 hour range) and let the milage take care of itself.

The calf injury is still not 100% so everything depends on it continuing to heal. Right now it is still hanging around. ( Mrs P has christened it "Bessie" the calf - not that she's unsympathetic:rolleyes: ) - I notice it after any run where I pick up the pace so plans may be modified. Given that, here is the plan:

This week I'll start a four week(!) 10k program but keep the weekend runs marathon training length. Have three races between now and the new year, an 8k, 10k and 15k. In early December I'll begin a 12 week P&D program with a view to Barcelona. Have not committed to Barcelona yet as I need to see who else would run but Mrs P and I are starting to warm to the idea. An early spring marathon would leave the way clear for other events (though the NY Half Marathon two weeks later would probably have to be dropped as an A-race).

Monday : 6 miles w/4 tempo: Pace 7.30

LT Miles|1|2|3|4
    Pace | 7.06 | 6.54 | 6.53 | 6.50
    HR Avg | ??? | 166 | 163 | 164
    HR Max | ??? | 189 | 172 | 166

Humm ... not the best of starts... but it is a start. Tempo pace should be about 6.45 and HR is way too high. Dublin is still in the legs, I have gained about 7lbs since the DCM and feel somewhat sluggish. I'll continue to take an extra rest day a week until the freshness returns. Still the DCM training is in there ... somewhere !

Dublin splits : http://connect.garmin.com/activity/55535816
    The reason why the Garmin time is less than the chip time is that I did not see the start mat in Dublin !

Monday evening returned to the chiro. When he heard about the calf muscle he did his magic and told me that if applied pressure with my index finger five times a day to a particular spot it would resolve itself in "a couple of days". He's nothing if not confident - I often suspect if I confessed the the wife was leaving me he'd give me an exercise for it:D. He did qualify this by telling me to call him if it did resolve itself in a week. Is it working ... hard to tell really.

Tuesday AM: 8 miles with 5*800m.

Was supposed to be 6*800m but I had self-negotiated back to 4 then added one more. As the figures tell I was running out of gas. Pleased with the session.

800m|1|2|3|4|5
    Time | 3.09 | 3.08 | 3.08 | 3.13 | 3.16
    Pace | 5.44 | 5.39 | 5.47 | 5.54 | 5.51

Tuesday PM: 4 miles - easy.

Went and finally joined the local running club. It is more of a running "group" than a formal club - though it does run a race each year. They hold five group runs a week, but nothing over 10 miles. I suspect most are 'social runners' but there is a core that race. Hopefully a new outlet for me and at worst a few new routes. Initial run was fun as I normally train alone.

Wednesday: 6 miles with 8*100, grass, Pace: 8.56, HR Avg 138 Max 183.

Back to my usual routine. It's got cold in a hurry ... well it is November. Highlight of the run was chanting "Must bring gloves, must bring gloves ...."

Order 5 pairs of new shoes - good sale on a NB pair that come in ... bright yellow ... think I see why these are on sale!

Thursday: 5 miles, Pace: 7.40 HR Avg 149 Max 170

Ok so the plan called for "2 fast miles but not 100%" ? Eh ... ok so I figured I'd try to hit 6.20 with a veiw to this being the pace that would hit my goal at the upcoming 8k. ... not a chance !! Managed two and was slowing badly at the end of the second ! This 8k may been too soon after Dublin ... and if so that's ok. Good news is that the calf is holding up, and I'm getting back into the routine. I had a few days after I got back from Dublin where the enthusiasm was just not there. Forgot the gloves again. Chomping at the bit to sign up for Barca but still have not got the rest of my crew to sign on yet.

Mile|1|2
    Pace | 6.31 | 6.36
    HRAvg| 160 | 167
    HRMax| 167 | 170

Ok fallen down on the log updates ...

Saturday: 9.5 miles Avg HR 143, Max 157
    5.5 miles @ 7.53 HR Max 143 Max 158

First weekend run with the new group. 9.5 miles. Group was mixed, with some folks in taper mode for the Philly marathon, so there were two halts to allow everyone catch up. Focusing on the social niceties I forgot to restart the Garmin after one stop :rolleyes: so pace is a mystery. Nice route to some parts I have not been for several years, with some spectacular views down the Hudson River. Will definitely bring a camera next week. Some detours around a collapsed road ( the same road that re routed my last 5k !). One serious hill in the run - something Dublin suggested was lacking in my training. Really enjoyed the run - wish they stretched it a little longer. After the group broke up I added another 5.5 miles solo with another decent hill.

Sunday: 7 miles 2 miles warmup, 4 miles fartlek, with 70s + 4 mins recovery, 1 mile cool down. HR Avg: 150 Max 206

1.5 miles easy with Mrs P.

Monday: 6 miles @ 7.42 HR Avg: 137 Max 157

Tuesday AM: 8 miles w 5*1000m HR Avg 141 Max 191
    Back to the track. Uneven session - first 1000 was clearly too fast and the rest progressively slowed :

1000m|1|2|3|4|5
    Time | 3.30 | 3.38 | 3.36 | 3.43 | 3.35
    Pace | 5.35 | 5.46 | 5.46 | 6.01 | 5.57
    HR Avg | 160 | 154 | 157 | 156 | 159
    HR Max | 191 | 162 | 167 | 166 | 165

Tuesday PM: 2.7 miles ???
    Took the older Garmin (the "backup") out for the run with my new group. Garmin had a complete melt down - recorded a duration of 23 minutes ...
    Problem with this night is that a sizeable number want to retire to a bar and engage in a pub quiz. Not really my scene even if I were not wet and cold ! I really have turned into a middle aged grump.

Wednesday: 5 miles easy w/hills @ 8.23 HR Avg: 129 Max 154
    Not sure I am getting this right "easy with hills" ? Ok ... I am taking this to mean run the hills reasonably easy too ...

Thursday: 5 miles recovery, grass, Pace ?, HR Avg 141 Max 174

Again managed to mess the Garmin up so pace is a guess in the 9.30 area. The blue-grey-ish egret is back - s/he seems to be getting used to me. I really MUST remember to bring a camera. Stopped at a local running store near the office and found that ther is a subgroup of my new group gather there to run to the meet up place tonight. So tonight I will join them and see how it goes.

So ... at this stage I have been focusing on more track/speed work and more hills in shorter sessions. Have to say the quads are feeling the hill work ... but for the first time today the calf muscle has been twinge free. Fingers crossed.

The immediate goal is an 8k race in a week. It's a largish race - 2000+ runners iirc. The first 100 males and females get a commemorative mug ... and one such mug is my last major goal of the year (other than fixing my 10k pb). Realistically I need to run close to a 32 minute race to get my mug so this will be a good early test of my new 10k training :D (Assuming my calf allows a serious effort *sigh*)

Still circling a Barca decision ... but I have been looking at places to stay ... so .....:)

Ok ... really need to get back to regular updates.

Thursday (18th) PM : 6.55 Pace 8.36
    Run with HoHa.

Friday: 5 miles, recovery, grass Pace 8.54 HR: 145/201

Saturday: 9 miles @ 8.05 HR: 142/181
    6 miles @ 8.12 HR: 137/174

HoHa - 9 miles, 6 miles solo with two climbs of about .25 miles. Both sessions included some decent hills.

Sunday 10 miles @8.32 132/156
    A leisurely outing with Mrs P.

Tuesday AM: 8 miles with 4*1200m. Pace 7.47 HR: 147/170

Plan called for 5*1200m. Cut it to four with a race pending. Definiltely overcooked this looking at (and feeling) the pace on the final 1200. Only took 400m recovery between 1/2 and 3/4, 800 between 2/3. Longer recovery intervals are probably necessary. One to learn from.

1200m|1|2|3|4
    Time| 4.42 | 4.47 | ? | 4.56
    Pace| 5.46 | 5.46 | ? | 6.11
    HR Avg | 158 | 163| ? | 165
    HRMax | 166 | 169 | ? | 170

Tuesday PM: 1 w/u @9.46 + 2.7 @7.35 + 1 w/d.
    HoHa run. Met a guy who ran the NY marathon and followed 13 days later with a 60k run in Central Park :eek:.

Wednesday: 5 miles, grass, recovery @ 9.05 HR: 151/185
    Looking at the HR I definitely overdid the Tueday am session. Curious thing. As I ran along the edge of the playing field I came across three guys tossing a beer keg in the air. They also had tree stumps that they were training with - I later saw one walking/climbing steps holding a tree stumpon his shoulders. Training ... but for what ?

Tomorrow is the Ashenfler 8k classic. No idea how this will go for me. I have probably not given it the attention it needs to do well ... but we will see.

After some indecision we have registered for Barcelona 2011. Flights and accomation are set. Now all I have to worry about whether I can really train for this over winter. I am reading Daniels right now but finding it tough going so will probably do a P&D 12 week program - an amalagam of the 12/70 and 12/85 tailored to try to address the endurance problems I had in Dublin. I have also registered for NY 2011 ... so my 2011 is set as far as marathons.

Finally ....as my contribution to the "where I run" thread ....:D: Need to go about 5:10 into the video.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-november-17-2010/jason-jones--bayonne

The area where the window of the car is broken is part of my usual 18 mile+ route.

A favorite event. My aim was a sub 32 finish which would be enough to finish in the top 100 male finishers and take home a coveted
    Ashenfelter mug.

Nearly a disasterous start to the day. My pre run trip to the bathroom involved an unstable portopotty cabin. Didn´t notice at first but had just got it to stop rocking when someone entered the next cabin the entire structure began to rock wildly back and forward. I had panicked vision of the whole thing toppling over before I managed to tiptoe my way out :eek:

Again my usual poor staring position. I thought I was better positioned than I turned out to be so the first half mile involved more weaving than I had hoped. Passed the first mile marker at 6.5x so had some work to do.
    When I started to feel the strain I looked at my garmin ... 1.6 miles ,,, not good ! Some days it flows ... somedays you have to muscle it... today was one the muscle through it days. Was comforted as the subsequent miles clicked off in low 6.xx times. Still was never confident that the crash was not coming.

Coming to the finish I saw 31.xx on the clock. Success ! Well .... nearly. Came in, headed for the mugs and heard ..."thatś it". Agggghhh .... 105th male over the line :(!! Damn !
    112. 31:10.62 6:16 103/1108 M45-49:14/138

• Advertisement

Friday: 5 miles recovery, grass. Pace 8.56 HR 146/182

Saturday: 11 miles. Pace 8.30 HR: 143/185

9,5 miles with the HoHa running group. 2 miles solo with hills,

Sunday: 14.5 miles, Pace : 8.11 HR 137/188

A new route. Based on reading about a good 8 mile hilly run we drove out to the Pallasides Park over the Hudson. Great views, little traffic and plenty of hills. Garmin shows 2000 feet of elevation for the run. Small potatoes to IMRA folks but that's a mightly session for me. Think I have found my Boston training route though it's actually only about 6 miles long. Had planned 16 miles but 14 was enough !

Monday: 5 miles recovery, grass. Pace 9.32. HR 139/181

Frost on the car for the first tme this year. Legs were definately stiff after yesterday. Woke up with a cold so tomorrows track session is probably going to be pushed off unless I can fight this off.

Tuesday AM : 9 miles with 5*1200m.

Well ... with a 10k on Sunday I have a cold ! There seems to be something about 10ks which means I go down with something as soon as they get close. Considered pushing this session off a day but with stormy weather forecast and the race on Sunday I decided to get it in.

1200m|1|2|3|4|5
    Time | ? | 5.01 | ? | 5.02 | 5.04
    Pace | 6.19?| 6.21 | 6.08 | 6.07 | 6.14
    HR Avg | 145 | 155 | 152 | 157 | 157
    HR Max | 156 | 161 | 161 | 163 | 162
    Recovery| 400m | 400m + 2 mins | 600m | 400m |

Messed up on the splits (met someone after #2 so there was a brief stretch chat included in recovery). The ones I did get correct were rather disappointing and considerably slower than last week. I was kind of aware that I was not pushing it but I am not sure I could. Still I got the session in - next one will be better. Was not feeling it this morning so I am (I think) blowing off this evenings club run.

Wednesday: 50m bike. As expected a storm arrived making running impossible.

Thursday: 10 miles, Pace 7.30

Decided to try something new and try a 2easy+2mp+2fast routine. Bit of a disaster ! I think I underestimated the work I put in on the bike and core on Tuesday so the two fast reached 6.54, 6.52 when I would have been looking at more 6.10m/m pace ! At this stage I decided that some easy running was called for.

Friday: 5 miles recovery, grass, Pace 9.46m/m.

Sunday: Another 4.30am start !

I had thought going into this 10k that a sub 41 might be on the cards. The recent thread on the "big 8" and "average" club runner were weighting on my mind but a sub 40 needs an easier course than the hills of Central Park. Still, my recent 8k result was promising. As against that my 1200 intervals earlier in the week were not so promising.

Cold morning - slightly below freezing - but otherwise good conditions, at the 8am start. I had managed to largely recover from a cold earlier in the week and was feeling ok. Got my 2 miles warmup in but probably did get not enough strides done before entering the corral.

As ever, I managed to mess up my start. I was busy retying my laces :o when they removed the barriers between the corrals so I lost my place ! As the first half-mile take in the biggest climb of the day (Harlem Hill) the crowding for the initial mile was tough. Combined with the hill gave me first mile split of 7.32 ..... probably just as well I did not know this as there is really no way back from that when trying to hit about 6.25 or so.

Remaining splits were :
    6.44, 6.18, 6.26, 6.39, 6.23. 1.54.

Take the first 1.5 miles out and this might have been a very nice performance. Ce la vie - it's a PB (on a soft target) so I'll take it and move on. Oddly results in general seemed slow - can't really see why that would be.

12 Weeks to Barcelona.

Plan is to follow P&D 12/70 plan, but incorporate some variations on the tempo runs (I've been reading Daniels), do much more hill work, and put a greater emphasis on endurance - my weakness in my first two marathons. 3.10 is the target training pace.

Training cycle will include 15k, HM and 5m races.

Included in this I need to drop the 8lbs I have managed to put on since Dublin (how the heck did I do this?) and get back to a better race weight.

So:

Monday: 6 miles recovery, grass. Pace 9.32 HR 132/183

Cold - first now flakes of the year. Good thing I don't live in Ireland :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Unfortunate first mile, but a good performance. At least you know that that 10k PB is there for taking again! As for slower times, is it me or does the cold slow you down?

ronanmac wrote: »
    Unfortunate first mile, but a good performance. At least you know that that 10k PB is there for taking again! As for slower times, is it me or does the cold slow you down?

Don't know about that - it may just be I vary where in the race I have my c**p mile ! Happy enough with the other 4.6 miles. There is a 10k next May that I may focus on after Barcelona. Not sure about cold weather - I do know that it takes me a lot longer to loosen up before a race ...not sure if it has an impact after that.

Tuesday : 9/4LT miles.

Cold again at 7am. Tough enough. Decided not to kill myself on this two days after a 10k race. But at the end I was wondering how I had done 7 miles at faster than this before Dublin - and how I could ever do so again !! One mile at a time.

Looking to hit paces between 6.48 - 6.53

LT Miles|1|2|3|4
    Pace | 6.51 | 6.55 | 6.49 | 6.42
    HR Avg | 151 | 157 | 159 | 162
    HR Max | 157 | 159 | 162 | 165

Wednesday: 13.5 miles, Pace: 8.01 Elevation gain: 2,027ft

Took the morning off and returned to the Palisades Park. Tough route by my standards. The reason why I am returning to this area is that it is the hilliest run - and hills are an area which seem to be a weakness. It's also a spectacular run ... and one day I will remember to being a camera ! (Forgot the HRM too - pity would have been interesting).

Planned to do 15 miles but called time after 13.5 Leaving the car again to get another 1.5 miles done was more than I could face. One some Made a mistake by not bringing a gel with me and by mile 9 - after the second major climb - I was close to spent and had to grind out the last few miles.

Thursday AM: 6 miles, recovery. Pace 9.35

In a word : chilly !

Thursday PM: 5.5 miles. Pace 8.07

Run with the local running group. Felt like I was working harder than the pace suggests. I think the Wednesday session took a lot out of me. Not really sure how to categorise these runs with the local running club - too fast for tempo, two slow for MP ... they are looking suspiciously like "junk" miles.

Friday: 5 miles, recovery - mainly grass. Pace 9.35. HR: 139/189

Plan called for 11 miles, but I have to move my LR/MP to Saturday (not confident about the MP miles) so Friday is recovery, Sat LR with MP, and Sun MLR.

Next week we are looking at three very windy days. Not sure if a tempo run in high winds is a good idea... but I've no idea if a tempo run is possible on a threadmill ?

Friday: 5 miles recovery

Saturday: 17 miles w/8 @ PMP (6+8PMP+3). Pace 7.39, HR 145/181

Was not confident about this effort and the ability to hit the new PMP of 7.15. It was partly an experiment. So very pleased with the say it went. The day warmed up which helped and I did not go out until the afternoon.
    As every two miles into the PMP miles I felt I as struggling but it came good.

Of course ... my history is training well and racing ... not so well ! So while I'd like to bottle these miles it does not work like this. Still a decent start.

MP Miles|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8
    Pace | 7.18 | 7.14 | 6.59 | 7.06 | 7.12 | 7.07 | 6.59 | 6.55
    HR Avg | 141 | 142 | 144 | 145 | 146 | 147 | 147 | 149
    HR Max | 145 | 150 | 146 | 148 | 162 | 153 | 150 | 153

Sunday: 11 miles - threadmill - Pace between 7.15 and 8.30, 1-2% incline

Waiting for a phone call, and Mrs P's need to get a long run in, combined with wild weather left me with no option but the threadmill. The last three miles were grim as the brain just shut down. Thumbs up to the Marathon Talk podcasts.

So ... week 1 of Barcelona training: Will use P&D 12-85 as a "loose" template (will not be hitting that kind of mileage) but this week is an "extra".

Week|PlanWeek|M|T|W|T|F|Sat|Sun|Total
    12| P&D | | | | | | | |
    12| Actual | 6RP | 9/4LT + 4GA | 13.5 hills| 6RP + 6GA | 5R | 17/8PMP | 11LR | 76
    |HR(Avg/Max)| 132/183| 151/193(lt session) | | | 139/189 | 145/181 | n/a |
    | Comments | | Missed targets | tough ! | | | good mp session | |

• Advertisement

Monday: 5 miles recovery, track. Pace 8.57 HR: 130/168.

Bit of a downpour overnight left my usual playing field like rice paddies. After half a mile and soaked feet I gave up the finished the session on the track. Threw in a few strides at the end to break things up a bit - the track is a step up from threadmill but still trundling around a track is not really my idea of fun.

Tuesday: 8 miles, 10*100m. Pace: ~8.20

Had planned a LT interval session but a thin sheet of snow/ice and a biting wind (wind chill was 7f : about -14 centigrade) made LT pace a dodgy proposition. So dropped back to the P&D session for the day.

Missed the club run Tuesday night ... in fact did not leave work until after 11pm.

Wednesday: 15 miles, Pace ~8.15, HR: 137/183 Elevation +/-2300ft, Time 2:03

Encased in four shirts, tights, sweat pants, two gloves per hand, hat and ear muffs I returned to the hilly run. Despite yet again forgetting to bring a gel this session went better and I was able to complete the fifteen miles and complete the hills much better this time around. Very cold single digit wind chills (about -13c) which began to tell a few miles before the end. Happy with the session and happy to finish it too !

Thursday: 6 miles recovery, grass.

Things have dried out enough to allow me back onto the playing fields again ! Might try again for the club run tonight.

Thursday PM : 5 miles, Pace ~8.00

Thursday night club run.

Friday: 10 miles, Pace 8.19 HR 139/187

Tough enough to get through the 10 miles. First mile on the track with Mrs P. Now that the park is largely empty in the mornings again I'm starting to see signs of wildlife first thing in the morning.

Small technical problem with the Garmin. The wrist band has developed split between several holes. Need to get a new band but never had any luck changing the band. *Sigh* - add this to the leaky faucet, drafty window, clanky heating system, etc, etc... (the Garmin takes priority of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sure you can live with a drafty window, but can you live without a Garmin?! I'm not so sure. :)

Sure you can live with a drafty window, but can you live without a Garmin?! I'm not so sure. :)

Sure you can live with a drafty window, but can you live without a Garmin?! I'm not so sure.

I could live with a drafty window ... but not with a chilly wife ! I am told that, in fact, I could under no circumstances live with a drafty window.

Saturday: 7 miles recovery.

Great day. With a race on Sunday, I was kicking myself that I could not get a LSR in given the conditions. Tacked on extra mile onto the run as consolation. If only the rest of winter could be like this.

Sunday: 2wu, 15k, +3 wd:

Well a guaranteed PB (as it was my first 15k race!). Preparation was not too good - a party the night before with a 4.30am start. Legs were tired and expectations were low and the strain was there at mile 3. So in the context, I am pretty happy with the result - better than I expected. Pace was 6.45 - so a good tempo session. This really is the pace I can sustain for an hour ! I found it a curious distance - could not /decide between/get settled into/ either an allout effort and settling into a "distance" pace.

Around mile 7 I was struggling but I then saw my arch enemy from previous races. He's a guy who, with plenty of room, has twice barged into me in races when I was overtaking. I was surprised to see him this late in a race .... but no way was I letting this **** finish ahead of me. So I gathered myself and blew by him. No sign of him. Then just before the mile 9 I looked over and he's back along side me ! I glared and kicked (feebly) for home - and my last .3 miles were a lung busting uphill 6.20l... amazing what anger can do do for you.

Of course .. a little later I saw him. With his hat off I realised it was not the same guy at all ! Hopefully he missed the glare !

157th overall, 13th in the AG - 6.45 average pace. A good solid result. 2 miles warmup, 3 miles warmdown completed the day. So that's it for the year in terms of racing.

To borrow from MarathonTalk - here's my rant for the week : To end my warmdown I started backtracking along side the course to cheer Mrs P in. I was amazed at the number of runners who having finished and on their way to luggage pickup were cutting across the course in front of runners coming in. Seriously ticked me off. Bad enough pedestrians do it, but runners who know what it's like to be trying to grind out that last half mile to run across the course in front of people - not on - go around or wait.

Oddly traveling back from the race I had a weird allergy attack (possibly from a perfume) on the subway and could not stop sneezing for close on 30 minutes ! This pretty much knocked the stuffing out of me and I had to leave another party that afternoon feeling truly awful. Mrs P had to get me home. A night sleep I seem ok again.

The week:

Week|PlanWeek|M|T|W|T|F|Sat|Sun|Total
    11| P&D | 6RP | 8GA/10STR | 12MLR | 6RP | 11MLR | 6RP | 17w/10PMP| 66
    11| Actual | 5RP | 8GA/12STR | 15MLR hills| 6RP + 5GA| 10MLR | 7RP | 2+15K+3 (14) | 70
    |HR(Avg/Max)| 130/168 | | 137/183 | | 139/187 | | |
    | Comments | | | progress! | | | | 1:02.28 |

Monday: 6 miles recovery, Pace 9.41 HR: 128/185

Tuesday AM:
    4 miles recovery, Pace: 9.32 HR: 140/179

Run with Mrs P. Really this should have been a Monday PM run but again work got in the way.

Tuesday PM: 13 miles. Pace 8.15 HR: 140/192

Intended 15 miles but legs were tired. I think Sunday's race was still in the legs so I cut it at 13 after grinding out the last 2 miles.

Wednesday: 12 miles. Pace 8.07, HR 141/182, Elevation +/- 1,800ft.

Back to the hills. A day time run for a change. Got to the park by noon. I had discovered that the sun disappears behind the cliffs that border the roadway to the left by about 2-3pm - and it get's damn cold. Legs were still heavy and the last few miles back to the car were a struggle even though the last mile is downhill. Hopefully these hill sessions are doing me some good - this was my last one for a while in all probability.

Thursday: 6 miles recovery, grass/track. Pace 9.24 HR 133/183

Out with Mrs P again.

Friday: 18 miles, Pace 8.29, Duration: 2:33 HR: 145/194

Intended 11 miles but once I got out I found the day so mild that I decided to get my LSR in. This is the start of my "Time on Feet" run which I ma hoping will fix the marathon "fade". Probably needed another easy day or two because by mile 9 I was in trouble and had to resort to the "emergency" gel I had stuffed in a pocket. Effect was almost immediate and while the rest of the run was not 'easy' I was able to complete the session. (This confirns that I should have taken an extra gel in DCM !)

Wierdly, I again had a sneezing fit about an hour after running. Hope this is not the start of a pattern.

Saturday: 5 miles recovery, grass/wood. Pace 9.50, HR 143/179

Christmas morning. First time in many, many years we have not travelled to Ireland for Christmas - picked a good year by the lool of the airports in Europe. Enjoying not having to worry about schedules etc.
    Nice mornng here but snow may be on the way. Legs were heavy - possibly pushing the milage a bit to far this week.

Happy Chrismas/Holidays to all !

Sunday: 16miles, Pace 8.05 HR 145/194

Up early to beat the incoming snow. I wanted to get in a quality session before we got socked with snow ( over a foot ) and also a session where I could keep warm ! Decided to try a new session based on a session described on Marathon talk. It is a combination of easy+marathon paced+ fast miles. For fast I substituted tempo.
    So the plan was 3e+3mp+2tempo+3e+2mp+2tempo+3e, Difficult enough as there was a stiff wind making keeping a consistent pace tricky but I like session as it keeps me focused.

Well .... the first time through was ok.

MP miles were right on target (7.15) : 7.15, 7.15, 7.11
    Tempo (6.45) were a little off : 6.41, 6.51

Second time around ( not so good):

MP: 7.14, 7.30 (ran into a flock of geese that forced a diversion over a playing field :o. .... and facing a stiff hill and feeling out of gas, I wimped out on the second set of tempo miles.:( Bit disappointed with this session - will return to try it again.

We're facing blizzard conditions now (snow and very high winds) which probably will mean running outside will be reduced to a plod for a day or two. I should be grateful we've been spared this long.

The last time I called dear old mum I had just said a cheery "hello" when she interrupted to ask me if we had snow yet. No. Having not left the house in more than a week our relatively good weather seemed to leave her even more annoyed. So ... mum ... if you're reading ... it's ok - we got snow - a blizzard in fact - with drifts over my head in some places. This morning (Tuesday) I finally waded/swam/dug through waist deep snow to dig out the back door so we can get out the back door having wimped out on an effort to climb out a back window !

So ....

Monday AM: 1 hour easy effort on the stationary bike. No chance getting out.

Carver out something akin to a path from the front door to the street.

Monday PM:
    6 miles recovery Pace: 10.32:D, HR 147:eek:/182

A "go play in traffic" session. My usual park was unuseable so I stuck to minor roads. This was ok but I had to duck off frequently to make way for cars - and people doing incredibly stupid things with cars. Took a small cheap camera but it failed to work. Despite the pace, the HR indicates I was working - probably too hard for a recovery session - really suprised by this. Q: What did I learn? A: There is no way to get any quality work in until the roads are cleared.

Mercifully some kids with shovels showed up at the door and extorted a high price to dig my car out.

Tuesday AM: 10 miles w/5LT.

Office is still closed so used the now freed car to drive gingerly to the gym. Did my tempo session on the threadmill. 1% incline speed between 8.9 and 9.3mph (which is approx 6.46-6.30 pace I think). Have to say it felt easier than my normal LT effort so I have some doubts about its effectiveness. As a session if was not bad - not the normal mental torture the threadmill instills.

Took me three attempts to get the car back into the carport as my "snow drive" is rather narrow for a turn off the street.

Happy to still be getting some work in despite the conditions.

• Advertisement

Tuesday PM: 50 min easy on the bike.

Wednesday : 10 miles/threadmill
    Fit in a quick run - last few miles at mp to try to get in the miles ... Followed by a 7 hour drive to Cape Cod for the new year.

Thursday AM: 7 miles recovery. Pace 9.09
    Forgot the HRM. Run with breaks for bathroom, ATM and to help pop a car hood!

Thursday PM: 5.5 miles recovery.
    Out for a run with Mrs. P. Georgous run through sand dunes out on the tip of Cape Cod.

Advertisement