Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The end of the road (are we there yet?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

So much for updating more regularly !

Monday: 12 miles w/6 of bridges.

Some race specific training ! Did 3 roundtrip trip (did one side twice!) across the Bayonne Bridge, a suspension bridge of about 1.3 miles. Tough going. Some of the folks on the bridge found my reappearance quite hillarious - mostly encouraging.

Tuesday: 6 miles easy

Wednesday: 11 miles w/6 @tempo tm

Back to gym for 6 miles between 6.58 and 6.40 pace. Tough going ... but pretty happy to get through it.

Thursday: 8 miles, Pace 8.11 HR: 134
    Definately flagging towards the end

pm: Swim

Friday: 45 minutes on stationary bike.

Saturday: 3.5 + 1.5 + 18 miles

Out at 6am, not too warm but humid. Off to a organized training run. My plan was to join the 8mm pace group and see how it felt. Based on this I'd start to think about a pace for NY. Great plan eh ?

Ran up the West Side bike path to the run (3.5miles) racing a cruise ship coming up the Hudson. Cruise ship won :o - they are deceptively fast.

Found run, registered and took off for another 1.5 miles. Now I knew the big drawback to the run was that it was structured as a set of out-an-back 4 mile segments. Long delay before the run took off. Turns out they did not have a 8.00 pace group. One pace group leader takes off. The next group is 8.30-9.00. Humm, so I decided to join the first guy who I figure might be closer to 8.00 ? First mile 7.11 and I have made no impression on his lead. So I'm on my own and now running waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to fast. So the slow "fade to back" started about mile 8 and by mile 12 I knew I was cooked as the HR hit 161 :eek:. Gutted out another 6 miles with the pace dropping back to 8.48 at one point.

So a little annoyed with myself as I failed to answer the questions that I had planned. But ... it is 23 aggregte miles for the day and where I am now every mile is a good mile.

Stats are interesting

Miles: 1 - 4 Pace/HR: 8.01/124 8.10/137 8.30/139 8.16/138
    Miles 5+ : 8.07/120 8.06/135

Miles 6-23: 7.11/138 7.30/145 7.37/145 7.44/147 7.47/148
    8.02/148 8.13/148 9.03*/149 ?? ?/??** 8.15/157:eek:
    8.05/161 8.09/164 8.37/157 8.23/158 9.21*/158
    8.27/158 8.48/160 8.35/162:eek::eek:

*stop for water, **messed up Garmin and missed a mile - missed another half mile later.

Ok - so the big deal here it that the wheels absolutely and dramatically fell off after the stop for water at mile 8. HR shoots from 149 to 157 and never recovers. And this pretty much matches my preceived effort. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

That's some serious mileage and effort there. I think you are getting into excellent shape for going sub 3:30 on race day. Keep up the good work....and I love how you are sticking with swimming for some recovery. I hope you are enjoying it. :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    That's some serious mileage and effort there. I think you are getting into excellent shape for going sub 3:30 on race day. Keep up the good work....and I love how you are sticking with swimming for some recovery. I hope you are enjoying it. :)

Yes as my swimming has improved it is becoming quite theraputic - it's very peaceful in/under the water, cool in a non a/c kind of way, it's useful for controlling breathing and the legs seem to respond well after harder sessions. Odd thing is that we went to the local public pool last weekend and I could not get any rythm going at all I was floundering around after one length - weird.

Runners are funny creatures : We are very target driven, logging our miles, disecting the Garmin stats etc, but when the facts don't add up the logic gets jettisoned in favor of "give it a lash and hope for the best":). So ....a few months ago simply finishing NY was the goal .... now I dream of getting a BQ-5 in the bag and being able to give a spring marathon a real go .... but ... I'm facing the toughest course I have run, with the least miles-in-the-legs, and the heaviest weight** I have ever run at so ......

Sunday: 5 miles recovery/grass: Pace ~9.15

Interesting. Yesterday on the long I got hit with a persistant stich which dogged me for many miles. I had forgotton about this until the same problem started within a half mile of running. Normally I can breath through problems like this but not today. As the pain became intense I had to stop and walk for 20-30 seconds and then start again very, very gently. It did fade away after about 4 miles so I guess that's the definition of a successful recovery run.

**Weight: 149lbs - yipee - back into the 14* range again. Another 7lbs would see me back to Barcelona weight again.

pm: Swim (35 minutes of meditation !!)

Fantastic weather week. Nice temps, low humidity.

Monday: 8 miles easy, Pace 8:31 HR: 124

pm: Swim 30

Tuesday: 8 miles w/5.5 @tempo

Beautiful day. Time to take the tempo miles off the treadmill and to the outside world again.
    Trying to keep the pace below 7, around 6.50-6.55.
    Things for off to a rocky start. Stopped for a bathroom break during the warmup miles and promptly got locked in a cubicle in the park bathroom . Eventually had to wriggle out under the door :o:o:o. Not the start I needed.

Tempo miles Pace(HR) : 7.01(136), 6.51(148), 7.00(152), 7.00(151), 6.53(153), 6.52?

Bit of a disappointing session. With the easier conditions I was hoping to nail this. Suprised at the results as checking the watch during the run suggested the pace was better. HR suggests I was not working hard enough. At least I got out of the bathroom.

And finally the elevators at work failed leaving me and the poor cleaning lady stuck :rolleyes: - so no swim session today. That kind of day. Staying out of small confined spaces for a while.
    Finished with a late night strength session.

Wednesday: 13 miles, 8.14, HR 128 Max: 179

A bit of struggle but I need to start pushing the mid week distance.

pm: Swim + Core

Thursday: 7 miles w/5x1000m
    Really did not want to do this at all. Three hard days in a row is probably not a great idea. Might need to rethink the schedule to get a midweek long-ish run in.

1000m |1|2|3|4|5
    Time | 3.52 | 3.52 | 3.53 | 3.58 | 3.55
    HR | 145 | 152 | 155 | 155 | 158
    Pace | 6.04 | 6.04 | 6.04 | 6.16 | 6.01
    Recovery | 3.38 | 3.50 | 3.44 | 3.53 | ----

Would really like to see the pace in the 5.** range. But for a session off tired legs it's not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Would really like to see the pace in the 5.** range. But for a session off tired legs it's not too bad.
    Really not bad at all, but three hard days on the trot? Returning from injury?

• Advertisement

Really not bad at all, but three hard days on the trot? Returning from injury?

Yes, on reflection - not a great idea. Thanks for the wake up. Will probably cut down or shelve the track session in favor of the mid week long run.

Saturday: 10 miles. Pace 8.34 HR: 130

Club run. I ended up linking up with a new member so the pace ended up being slower that I would have hoped.

Sunday: 22 miles Pace: 9.10 HR: 127

The opprotunity came up to join a group doing a route I have wanted to learn for a couple of years but had always missed. Starting from NJ, run up the Hudson River for 10 miles, across the George Washington Bridge and down the West Side Green Way to the West Village. Spectacular run!
    Again the guys who knew the route (entry and exit from the bridge is tricky to find) wanted to keep it slow ( 9mm+).
    The climb to the bridge involves three hills - the final of which is savage. Even at all out effort this mile dropped to 10.00++ :eek:.
    Once on the Green Way we split up and I decided to pick up the pace and dropped into the 8.xx range <Grumpy auld geezer alert>. However one the other guys stuck with me. Which was fine but ..... he proceeded to give me regular updates on progress. I eventually told him I was more of "a run in the moment kinda guy". "Oh, ok". Several minutes later - "That's eighteen miles". :rolleyes:. He then decided to complete the run with me rather than stopping at his original target and spent the last miles doing the equivalent of "Are we there yet". A mile from the end I was ready to kill ! </Grumpy auld geezer alert>.

Looking forward to doing this run in the reverse direction - perferably with a small camera.

PM: Short swim.

Monday: 5 miles, recovery, grass. Pace: 8.48 HR: 126

Tuesday: 1h45m stationary bike.

Woke up to stormy windy morning. Wimped out - downloaded a podcast and headed to the bike. Legs are still a bit tired so probably not terrible to give them something different to think about. Might try to squeeze in a few miles tonight. Looks like being a low milege week.

The opprotunity came up to join a group doing a route I have wanted to learn for a couple of years but had always missed.
    Any Garmin links? Would love to see the route. Sounds brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

The opprotunity came up to join a group doing a route I have wanted to learn for a couple of years but had always missed. Starting from NJ, run up the Hudson River for 10 miles, across the George Washington Bridge and down the West Side Green Way to the West Village. Spectacular run!

I always wanted to do this run! Is there a dedicated trail along the Palisades? The West side greenway from the Bridge to the village used to be part of my daily (bike) commute- love that route! I'm so freaking jealous!:D

• Advertisement

^^^^ And now I'm jealous!!!!! (But happy for how well your training is going - and to think, you had doubts a few months back!!! You're flying!!! :))

Any Garmin links? Would love to see the route. Sounds brilliant.

Yeah. There is a 5 minute under river train that links the start and finish of the run so it's really convenient. I really need to find a new small camera to carry.
    Hot off the watch ! I forgot to restart the watch entering the bridge as we waited for everyone to regroup so ignore the "swim" !

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/224267447
    Kurt Godel wrote: »
    I always wanted to do this run! Is there a dedicated trail along the Palisades? The West side greenway from the Bridge to the village used to be part of my daily (bike) commute- love that route! I'm so freaking jealous!

Yes the greenway is great - especially north of the piers/Midtown where it starts to get a bit congested. The NJ side is hit or miss. There is a river side path for some of the way but there are also sections where the path has collapsed into the river and others where where you have to rejoin the main road without a sidewalk. Below the bridge you have the Pallisades Park which has an eight mile stretch that's a nice run - but very very hilly. Very popular with cyclists around here. Part of it is used as the NY Triathlon route. But the route to/from the bridge itself bypasses this and stays on the main road.
    ^^^^ And now I'm jealous!!!!! (But happy for how well your training is going - and to think, you had doubts a few months back!!! You're flying!!! )

Ah well now .... with the runs you have local to you I think most of us would swap in a heart beat !

Happy with the run - especially a feeling reasonbly strong at the finish. Long way to go but I would have snapped your arm off if you'd offered me this six months ago. Endurance is coming back .... pace is still elusive.

Tuesday (continued): pm Swim(1k), pm2: Eliptical.

After the swim I considered a 'tri' day :Dwith the idea of putting in a few miles at night. However the tornado warning in the evening put me off that idea (:eek::eek::eek: - what the hell is with this weather - we don't get tornados - now two warnings in a month and a touch down in Queens ????? Should have gone out in the morning after all *sigh*). So a mix-n-match day.

Wednesay: 12 miles w/6 @ tempo (4 w/u + 6 + 2 w/d)

4 miles warmup. Basic aim is to keep the pace below 7mm.

Tempo miles Pace(HR): 6.42(142), 6.46(150), 6.44(152), 6.41(155), 6.51(155), 6.51(157).

After a poor effort last week, I took off too fast and had to dial it back in mile 1. Found it very hard and was definitely hanging on for the last mile or more. But the best tempo session I have put in since injury. To nit-pick ... I'd like to see the HR stablize rather than continue to creep up. But happy enough ... try 6.5 miles next week.

Yeah. There is a 5 minute under river train that links the start and finish of the run so it's really convenient. I really need to find a new small camera to carry.
    Hot off the watch ! I forgot to restart the watch entering the bridge as we waited for everyone to regroup so ignore the "swim" !

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/224267447
    I want to return to NYC and load that route up on my Garmin as a course. It looks amazing.
    Don't worry about the pace. Keep doing the miles and the pace will follow.

I want to return to NYC and load that route up on my Garmin as a course. It looks amazing.
    Don't worry about the pace. Keep doing the miles and the pace will follow.

Cheers, Give me an hour head start and I'll run it with you :D.

Thursday: 14 miles, w 1.5 bridge efforts. Pace: 8.20 HR: 128

Back to the bridge for for long slowwwwwww climbs. Ran out of time so had to turn around mid way on second bridge rep - hence the 1/2 rep !

Mrs P reports that a "tall thin guy with blond hair" came over to her and asked how my training was going. I think I have Ryan Hall worried :) - he's already scratched from NY to avoid facing me after what I did to Haile in the NY half a few years ago.

pm: Swim (1k)

Friday: 5 miles, recovery, grass.

Saturday: 10 miles, Pace : Very slow.

Club run. With an 18 mile race tomorrow I wanted to take this handy. Dropped back to pick up a newish guy who was struggling with a stich. But the pace dropped to ~10mm so, I had to cut him loose with a few miles to go when he decided to walk for a while. Managed a few decdent sub 8 miles. I waited for the guy to finish. When he came in he shook my hand and .... told me he was recovering from the flu :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.

Smiled fixedly and speed home when I am scubbed my hands to the bone and wolfing down echinacea and vitimim B, C.

Interestingly I met a guy who in going to college on an atheletics scholarship from the local high school. College sports baffles me. He's looking to hook up with some guys for track workout because ... he not going to be able to compete for his first year. Happy to see the guy get an education - the school is a good school - but what possible purpose does having him sit for a year serve ?

18 mile race tomorrow?? Best of luck!! What a funny distance though....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ellie_sun

Good luck tomorrow, hope the run goes well!

18 mile race tomorrow?? Best of luck!! What a funny distance though....
    ellie_sun wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow, hope the run goes well!

Well ...... some days you just have to laugh ! This was one of them.

Sunday: NY 18 Miles tune up : 2.22.57 Pace 7.58

My first race in sixteen months. Was taking this semi seriously. Wanted to see what sort of pace I could hold in a race (had a notion about 7.40 pace) but not enough to need to take more than a day off to recover.

I have been buried at work for several weeks now - so (Error 1)on Friday I did not get up to collect our (me + Mrs P) bibs and tags. Both being busy, we decided to collect bibs the morning of the race. It might make time tight but ... it would be ok - right ?

Potential error 2: One the morning I ate my oatmeal - bit dry so I drank two glasses of water - and washed it down with a large mug of coffee. Nothing unusual here.

On the way to the race things started to jump the rails a little. I needed to pee - really:o. So leaving Mrs P I got off the subway and set off in search of a bathroom. It's 6am on the east side in the city that does not sleep. Well they may not sleep but they sure don't open any thing. Eventually, I choose the desperation option and prayed the cops would not arrive and there were no cctv cameras around.

Now I had to make it to the number collection so there was a pretty intense two mile warmup ! Met up with Mrs P. Damn - need another bathroom break.

Error 3: I heard a "rip" but could not identify any damage ... until I tried to retie my shorts. Ahhh. So my shorts were not hanging by a thread - find for walking but running ?

Error 4 : In the midst of apparel engineering I missed the corrals closing and had to duck into one of the backend corrals. So it was mile 6-7 before I was running freely.

Error 3 revisited: Not that congestion made much difference because my shorts lasted half a mile :eek:. Had to pull over - luckily I was wearing compression shorts as a help for my dodgy hip and miraculously had some extra safety pins (otherwise my race was over) ... so I stopped and pinned my shorts to the compressions shorts - front and back, and on we go.

Error 2 revisited: At mile 3 I started to need a bathroom - again. But every portoloo had a line longer than my shrinking bladder buffer. So at mile 4 I left the course and ran to a park bathroom.

Error 2 revisited - again: Soon after resuming the stomach began to churn - not feeling good at all.

Error 2 revisited - one more time: Yet another bathroom break was needed .... and so went the day.

Avoided all liquid/gels until I chanced Gartorade at mile 16.
    Post race I went for a loop of the reservoir and discovered that - a) I had nipple rash and b) the the Ascii Wave Rider 15 had left the the outside of my left ankle sore to the touch.

All in all, a bit of a shambles. It'll build character - right ?

No idea why the bathroom issues. Never had issues before - but this is the second time this has happened in recent months. Too much liquid for the cool conditions ... but again it is pretty much the same breakfast I have always had. The shorts were to be my marathon shorts and are now finished. So while I like them (Race Ready) I have to decide to buy a new pair or drop back to my old reliables.

Mrs P comment on the day's ... events ? "Did you sneak out and go drinking last night?"

The positives :rolleyes: were that while I was actually running there were 12 miles clocked below 7.30 pace (of course most of this was in search of a bathroom!). I put the foot down over the last mile and clocked a surprising 6.39 pace. I finished just outside the top 10% overall. However HR info suggests I never really recovered from the third climb of Harlem Hill so it is unclear I could have clocked another 8.2 miles at this pace.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/226246671

Missed a mile or more by not restarting watch post bathroom break - there was no swimming involved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Well ...... some days you just have to laugh ! This was one of them.

Sunday: NY 18 Miles tune up : 2.22.57 Pace 7.58

My first race in sixteen months. Was taking this semi seriously. Wanted to see what sort of pace I could hold in a race (had a notion about 7.40 pace) but not enough to need to take more than a day off to recover.

I have been buried at work for several weeks now - so (Error 1)on Friday I did not get up to collect our (me + Mrs P) bibs and tags. Both being busy, we decided to collect bibs the morning of the race. It might make time tight but ... it would be ok - right ?

Potential error 2: One the morning I ate my oatmeal - bit dry so I drank two glasses of water - and washed it down with a large mug of coffee. Nothing unusual here.

On the way to the race things started to jump the rails a little. I needed to pee - really:o. So leaving Mrs P I got off the subway and set off in search of a bathroom. It's 6am on the east side in the city that does not sleep. Well they may not sleep but they sure don't open any thing. Eventually, I choose the desperation option and prayed the cops would not arrive and there were no cctv cameras around.

Now I had to make it to the number collection so there was a pretty intense two mile warmup ! Met up with Mrs P. Damn - need another bathroom break.

Error 3: I heard a "rip" but could not identify any damage ... until I tried to retie my shorts. Ahhh. So my shorts were not hanging by a thread - find for walking but running ?

Error 4 : In the midst of apparel engineering I missed the corrals closing and had to duck into one of the backend corrals. So it was mile 6-7 before I was running freely.

Error 3 revisited: Not that congestion made much difference because my shorts lasted half a mile :eek:. Had to pull over - luckily I was wearing compression shorts as a help for my dodgy hip and miraculously had some extra safety pins (otherwise my race was over) ... so I stopped and pinned my shorts to the compressions shorts - front and back, and on we go.

Error 2 revisited: At mile 3 I started to need a bathroom - again. But every portoloo had a line longer than my shrinking bladder buffer. So at mile 4 I left the course and ran to a park bathroom.

Error 2 revisited - again: Soon after resuming the stomach began to churn - not feeling good at all.

Error 2 revisited - one more time: Yet another bathroom break was needed .... and so went the day.

Avoided all liquid/gels until I chanced Gartorade at mile 16.
    Post race I went for a loop of the reservoir and discovered that - a) I had nipple rash and b) the the Ascii Wave Rider 15 had left the the outside of my left ankle sore to the touch.

All in all, a bit of a shambles. It'll build character - right ?

No idea why the bathroom issues. Never had issues before - but this is the second time this has happened in recent months. Too much liquid for the cool conditions ... but again it is pretty much the same breakfast I have always had. The shorts were to be my marathon shorts and are now finished. So while I like them (Race Ready) I have to decide to buy a new pair or drop back to my old reliables.

Mrs P comment on the day's ... events ? "Did you sneak out and go drinking last night?"

The positives :rolleyes: were that while I was actually running there were 12 miles clocked below 7.30 pace (of course most of this was in search of a bathroom!). I put the foot down over the last mile and clocked a surprising 6.39 pace. I finished just outside the top 10% overall. However HR info suggests I never really recovered from the third climb of Harlem Hill so it is unclear I could have clocked another 8.2 miles at this pace.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/226246671

Missed a mile or more by not restarting watch post bathroom break - there was no swimming involved

Definitely character building:) and it will stand to you in 5/6? weeks time. Impressive that you had safety pins to sort out your shorts, were you a boy scout?;)
    Some great miles in there, I'm delighted you're returning back to fitness.

How did Mrs P do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ellie_sun

Nice report Mr P, at least all the mishaps kept it interesting!! Hope MrsP had a good run, is she doing the marathon as well?

I did a couple of laps outside you guys, the leader was ridiculous. I started as he passed Columbus Circle and he passed me just after Harlem Hill again, still bombing along! Noticed there weren't too many bathrooms and each one a big enough queue. Also noticed some non runners in the queues, was surprised no one was bawling them out!

By the way, tried to look at your garmin but says I don't have sufficient priveleges

Impressive run, especially considering all the comedy of errors you endured - just think what your time might have been without all those "extras"!! Definitley must give you a good feeling for the big day knowing you have this 7:58 pace buffer. And do tell us how Mrs. P did.....and do tell us if she had extra safety pins on her too! If so, I'm going to think that you are the couple that always carries those wet-wipes and a sewing kit with you just in case..... ;)

Marthastew wrote: »
    . Impressive that you had safety pins to sort out your shorts, were you a boy scout?
    ...and do tell us if she had extra safety pins on her too! If so, I'm going to think that you are the couple that always carries those wet-wipes and a sewing kit with you just in case.....

Drat. My secret identity as "Draper Man" is exposed ;). Fighting loose seams and ripped clothing the world over. Faster than a speeding sewing machine ....
    Marthastew wrote: »
    How did Mrs P do?
    Hope MrsP had a good run, is she doing the marathon as well?
    And do tell us how Mrs. P did ....

I'll have to tell her she has fans. She had a good race. Home in 3.48. Happy as she has struggled with nausea and excercise induced asthma. So an uneventful run and a smile as she finished is a good day. Yes, she doing NY (for the third time I think).
    I did a couple of laps outside you guys, the leader was ridiculous. I started as he passed Columbus Circle and he passed me just after Harlem Hill again, still bombing along!

An well now - the winner is Abiyot Endale - he's an Ethopian runner with a marathon PB of 2.19 which it looks like he's aiming to lower. http://mzungofire.blogspot.com/2009/06/abiyot-endale-living-and-training-in.html He must have lapped me somewhere towards the end of my second lap - no disgrace there. It is amazing to watch these guys - 5.16 pace :eek:.

It's been a while since I ran CP - training on those hills will stand to you.

By the way, tried to look at your garmin but says I don't have sufficient priveleges

Ah - thanks for the heads up. Should be fixed.
    Impressive run, especially considering all the comedy of errors you endured - just think what your time might have been without all those "extras"!! Definitley must give you a good feeling for the big day knowing you have this 7:58 pace buffer.

Happy with the bits I actually did run ... we'll see how the last few weeks go. Eliminating the "extras" is a priority and is a little worrying.

A week that so far might be described (in the cool palance of "ids today") as : meh !

Monday: 5 miles recovery, Pace: 9.05 HR: 126 PM: Swim

Tuesday: 10 miles, Pace: 7.52, HR: 132 PM: Swim/Core

First few miles were tough but felt much better in the later miles.

Wednesday: 10 miles w/2+3 @tempo PM: Swim/Strength

As ever I was not enthusiastic about this session. Why do I find tempo runs so difficult ?

Intended a 6 mile tempo run but on the 3rd mile it all fell apart a bit. Although a cool morning I was sweat was pouring from me and sunblock began to sting me eyes. I had to stop to fix this - though in truth I was already struggling. With the mile already blown I also took a break for water. Resisted the urge to pack it in and completed the session but as the pace shows - it simply was not there today.

Pace (HR): 6.54(143), 6.50(153), 7.28(151), 6.59(153), 7.00(157), 7.10(158)

Both pace and HR drift is ... disappointing.

Thursday: 5 miles recovery, Pace 8.39 HR: 128

Friday: 9 miles w/hill reps

Weather knocked the planned track session on the head so headed out for a hills rep run instead. This is my usual park look but with each hill repeated five times. Found this tough and again am sweating profusely. I am beginning to suspect that I am fighting a virus - this has happened before (and takes some time to shake:().

On a further setback - my bridge run now seems to be out of bounds:(:(.
    It seems the painting work has made the bridge tough to run - I've read reports of burning lungs and signs advising people with breathing problems to avoid the walk way. Since this was crucial to getting ready for the NY bridges this is annoying. Debating whether I should risk it.

Anyway we are heading away to the shore for a few days - or "training camp" as I an calling it :D. Lots and lots of easy running by the ocean.

Don't worry about the tempo run - we all have days/runs like those, or at least I do!! Not sure I would risk burning lungs, etc - I might try to find a different route. Do you ever run stairs - long flights of stairs (do you have a stadium nearby)? Would that be comparable to your bridge hills??

Have fun at the shore!!! :)

Don't worry about the tempo run - we all have days/runs like those, or at least I do!! Not sure I would risk burning lungs, etc - I might try to find a different route. Do you ever run stairs - long flights of stairs (do you have a stadium nearby)? Would that be comparable to your bridge hills??

Have fun at the shore!!! :)

Not sure if the NYGiants would let me run up and down the Meadowlands (do they still call it that ?) :D. I'll probably try the bridge and if not see it I can find a multilevel parking lot with a chilled out guard.

Saturday: 12 miles, Pace: 7.48 HR: 136

Intended to make this my long (>=16 miles run) but the legs were not there today. So cut it at 12 - anyfurther would have been a struggle ... and I am on vacation.

Sunday : 13 miles, Pace:7.52 HR: 135

Squeezed in a run in the morning before Mrs P dragged me to another piece of Americana - the chowder festival. Yes, 20+ years livng here and the attraction of pushing past hundreds of often large people to compete for tiny cups of clams drowned in heavy cream still esapes me. ...

My "comfortable" pace is starting to inch down a bit. I felt I had more in the legs today.

Monday: 8 miles, easy Pace: 8.18 HR: 123

Tuesday: 17 miles, Pace: 7.48 HR: 133

Found this run very hard - much harder that the stats suggest. It may be that I need to take a day off soon but part of the reason is that while it is very nice here - I find it (and it is shameful to admit it) a bit dull to run. It's pancake flat (it is long split land 14 miles long and at it's widest a four blocks. So the roads are long and straight and the houses very much alike. I was also out of gas at mile 15 and broke down and got a sugarly drink from a vending machine at a motel. This picked me up a bit for the last few miles in. Just about got back to the motel before the skies opened. No swimming today by the look of it so I have a massage scheduled.

Checked my resting heart rate this morning: 43/4 ... not too bad. My fitness seems to be coming back. Just in time.

That's a lot of mileage several days in a row....and at some pretty nice paces!! A break might be wise, though. ;)

You mention flat miles being boring....I'm also thinking they may be harder on my body than a varied course. Perhaps I am wrong, but I sort of think that by varying the course I'm working different muscle groups and spreading the stress over a greater body distance. Or maybe I'm just fooling myself into digging the hills. Any way....great training you're doing. And enjoy the massage!!! :)

That's a lot of mileage several days in a row....and at some pretty nice paces!! A break might be wise, though.

You mention flat miles being boring....I'm also thinking they may be harder on my body than a varied course. Perhaps I am wrong, but I sort of think that by varying the course I'm working different muscle groups and spreading the stress over a greater body distance. Or maybe I'm just fooling myself into digging the hills. Any way....great training you're doing. And enjoy the massage!!! :)

Yes, nice to find that the pace is beginning to drop finally - though all these runs where pancake flat and straight.

I think you are right. With a flat course the same muscles are getting stressed repetitively. Hills bring different muscles into play. But the real thing was that there was little variation in the landscape and while it's quite pretty down there it's pretty much the same mile after mile with very few people out early at this time of year.

Wednesday: 6 easy miles. Pace: 8.15 HR: 123 PM: swim+strength

A final run to the bird scantuary before the long drive home :(.

On the island there is an 18 mile run ( it is in memory of the athletes killed in Munuch in 72 - one mile per athlete) which I have wanted to do for years. It's an arkward time - too close to fall marathons (it is on this weekend). Turns out the guy who owns/runs the motel is a runner/triathlete. He's also a fluent Irish speaker who lived in Dublin for a number of years. He runs this 18 mile race each year, and introduced me to his buddy who is the local record holder for the race. He also told me about running the Dublin marathon in 1982 with around 3,000 runners ! So we exchanged info and I'm now determined to get this race in the next few years.

Thursday: AM: bike 30 mins PM: Light strength

Friday: 9 miles w/8*100m strides. Pace: 8.04 HR: 129

PM: Swim

Tomorrow ... back to the 22 mile NJ->George Washington Bridge->downtown Manhattan route.

• Advertisement

Saturday: 20 miles, Pace: 8.56 HR: 134

This was another NJ->GWB->NY run. Run turned a bit complicated as they guy with me started to get unwell shortly after we crossed the bridge, so we had to walk for a while. He wanted me to continue on so - the compromise was I went ahead but doubled back periodically to see how he was doing. He did recover but was then hit by a cramp.

This is a different route to the previous route - it's less scenic on the NJ side but has a number of long drags rather than shape climbs. On the Manhattan side it stays away from the river for while offering higher views and a few rolling "bumps'.

Worryingly HR soared in the last few miles.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/231863430

Sunday: 6 miles, recovery, Pace 8.44 HR: 130

Probably a bit too hard for a recovery run.

Advertisement