Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The end of the road (are we there yet?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Monday: 45 mins bike pm: Core

Lack of enthusiasm in the face of rain/wind/darkness meant no running today.
    Pool closed due to maintanance (Auld git alert: I suspect a lack of pimply face youths to play with their phones while posing as life guards :mad:).

Tuesday: 14 miles w/7.5 @ tempo

Decent session - my best for some time. Always felt this was under control. Dreary damp mornings seem to suit.

LT Miles (Target Pace < 7.00)|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|7.5
    Pace | 7.00 | 6.41 | 6.48 | 6.55 | 6.44 | 6.41 | 6.47 | 6.42
    HR Avg | 138 | 152 | 156 | 157 | 159 | 157 | 158 | 156
    HR Max | 146 | 152 | 156 | 157 | 159 | 157 | 158 | 156

PM: Swim + strength

Wednesday: 7 miles, easy-ish

A damp morning turned into a wet morning. Splashed, waded through 7 soggy miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hey there! I'm just popping in to see how you are doing? Is the big day 3 or 4 weeks away?? Any concrete target time?

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Hey there! I'm just popping in to see how you are doing? Is the big day 3 or 4 weeks away?? Any concrete target time?

Target time ...the great dilemma. I'm more worried about concrete legs than conceter targets :)

It's actually weird knowing so little about your own body and what is realistic. Four months ago I would have been happy with sub 4 ! I'm pretty relaxed about a target time. I'm really looking beyond NY to spring (discussing Napa Valley or LA) to start chasing PBs again. I'd like to BQ...(<3.25) but I'm not going to stress over it. I suspect that on the day whether I fade past miles 18-20 as the figures suggest will decide all. Either way - given where I was in February ... simply finishing will leave me happy.

Thursday: 8 miles. 4*.75 mile hill reps. Pace: 8.26 HR: 136
    I found a replacement for my bridge. This is a toughish climb up to Union City. It's one of the routes that feeds into the Lincoln tunnel into Manhattan so the traffic noise/fumes are tough. Minutes before the top it's "never again". By the time I had reached the bottom ... "ah, fine - maybe one more"!

Pretty happy with this session.

Friday: 5 miles, grass. Pace: 8.46 HR: ~124

Saturday: 9+ miles. Pace: 7.41 HR: 135

Turned up for my club run ... and found no one ! So did the route solo.

Sunday: 5 miles: Pace 9.26 HR: 121
    14 miles. Pace: 8.20 HR: 130
    5 miles: Pace: 8.38 HR: 138

I was innocently minding my own business during the week when Mrs P called to tell me that she had voluteered me to lead a joint her club/my club training 17-20 miles training run. Welcome to my world. What, I asked, was I expected to do it some 2h40 guy showed up :eek:.
    Anyway there were two consequtive runs to allow people do any distance they want: 5 miles and 12-15 miles.

Only two showed up for the first run so I ran with them at their pace. Late back Mrs P had gathered a small group so after 5 minutes to allow for stragglers. Taking off for the second loop I was joined by a guy aiming for a 3.10 in NY. We doubled back to allow the group to link up again until we managed to lose everyone:confused:. I was seeing the headlines: "Runners lost. Idiot leader claims: "But they were there a minute ago"". Finally we found Mrs P who told me that everyone had turned around. Dropping my companion back I doubled back again and hooked up with Mrs P. I reset the watch again at this point and accompanied Mrs P for a few miles and then set off to complete the four remaining miles home.

Final mile was 8.02 and I was feeling ok. So I am happy enough,

24 miles total. Last 20+ run. Peak mileage week. I'll start reducing milage from this point on. 3 weeks to go.

You've done some awesome work and made strides comparable to claralara's over the past several months. You are in incredible shape - I say you go for the 3:25, but as you say, not stress over it if it doesn't happen in 3 weeks. Marthastew will be in NY with you - hope you two get to meet. She's an amazing woman!!! :)

You've done some awesome work and made strides comparable to claralara's over the past several months.

Ohhh no, no. no. CL's performance/improvement is beyond anything I can imagine. When NY is done I plan to re read her log to try to steal some ideas.

But yes, given where I started I'm happy with where I am but not looking too far ahead right now. Right now I'm enjoying running which was not true 6-8 months ago. Strength training (and a little luck) seems to have made a big difference.
    Marthastew will be in NY with you - hope you two get to meet. She's an amazing woman!!! :)

I just found out recently that having run Berlin, she's pacing Dublin and then running NY - all off injury. That is amazing !!

• Advertisement

Monday: 30mins bike, + Swim in the morning, Swim in the evening.

A 2 swim (albit both short) day.

Tuesday: 11-12 miles with 6.5-7 miles @tempo ...approx

Low battery on the Garmin meant that this was a guesstimate session. Annoying for my last longish tempo. Turned off the Garmin and did about 4 miles warmup. Then switched on the watch to find tempo pace (sub 7). Last check before the Garmin died showed a lap pace of 6.45. Mental arithmetic is the first thing to go when I start to tire. Combined with an aversion to knowing the exact distance of any particular loop I run meant that I could only guess when I had got to 7 miles. Started to struggle around mile 4. I think I may have cut it off early possibly around 6.75 miles but I am not sure as I cannot remember how many loops of my tempo circuit I ran ( I know it is about 1.25 miles - but did I do 5.5 or 6.5 loops ?). Anyway - whatever it is hopefully my legs did not notice the absence of the Garmin and will get the training benefit. Found it tough going - I think the 24 miles on Sunday is still in the legs.

PM: Strength.

Wednesday: 10 miles, Pace: 7.52 HR: 132

Legs were very definately heavy and I had to give myself a bit of talking too and sent them up a few short hills. Quite suprised at the pace - I remember seeing 8.2x in the lap pace more than once so sub 8 is a suprise. Probably too fast for the session, this was supposed to be a fairly easy session.

Tomorrow I return to the hills (actually the 14th St viaduct) for four or more hill reps.

Usually I am limited by either legs or lungs. Right now it seems to be legs that are the issue. Hopefully once I hit taper they will start to close the gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

You've done some awesome work and made strides comparable to claralara's over the past several months. You are in incredible shape - I say you go for the 3:25, but as you say, not stress over it if it doesn't happen in 3 weeks. Marthastew will be in NY with you - hope you two get to meet. She's an amazing woman!!! :)

I presume you're in wave 1? I'm in Blue wave 2, Corral 21. Are you and Mrs P starting together? I've an Irish Flag on my top and my name in green so I'm easy to spot.
    The chances of us crossing paths are highly unlikely but you never know... 3 years ago I ran Chicago and I had a friend who was also running but starting way up ahead of me. We had friends waiting at mile 16 and as luck would have it he had just stopped to give them a hug when I arrived:)

Are you and Mrs P keeping the running gear low key or going for the leprechaun look?:D

Marthastew wrote: »
    I presume you're in wave 1? I'm in Blue wave 2, Corral 21. Are you and Mrs P starting together? I've an Irish Flag on my top and my name in green so I'm easy to spot.
    The chances of us crossing paths are highly unlikely but you never know... 3 years ago I ran Chicago and I had a friend who was also running but starting way up ahead of me. We had friends waiting at mile 16 and as luck would have it he had just stopped to give them a hug when I arrived:)

Are you and Mrs P keeping the running gear low key or going for the leprechaun look?:D

I'm Blue Wave 1 - coral 10 (I think). No - I cannot really pull off the leprechaun look :D:D ! Sorry I'm very boring ... no distinguishing features. Black shorts/white singlet/black arm warmers for the record.

Starting together ??? Mrs P isn't even travelling to Staten Island with me ! She's going on a bus with her club and I'm on a bus with mine. She rarely agrees to be seen in public with me at the best of times. She's in wave 4.

Hopefully the boardsies will hook up post race. Not sure if there is a tradiitional bar. Though I will need to try to meet Mrs P who will be on the slower side.

If you're spending a few days in NY - we'd love to take you guys out for dinner on the Monday. We are actually travelling to Ireland on the 6th.

You realize you will be here for the few days before the presidential election ! Oh, and by the way worth noting that the hour goes back here the night before the marathon. I'll post this on the event thread nearer the date.

pgmcpq wrote: »
    I'm Blue Wave 1 - coral 10 (I think). No - I cannot really pull off the leprechaun look :D:D ! Sorry I'm very boring ... no distinguishing features. Black shorts/white singlet/black arm warmers for the record.

Starting together ??? Mrs P isn't even travelling to Staten Island with me ! She's going on a bus with her club and I'm on a bus with mine. She rarely agrees to be seen in public with me at the best of times. She's in wave 4.

Hopefully the boardsies will hook up post race. Not sure if there is a tradiitional bar. Though I will need to try to meet Mrs P who will be on the slower side.

If you're spending a few days in NY - we'd love to take you guys out for dinner on the Monday. We are actually travelling to Ireland on the 6th.

You realize you will be here for the few days before the presidential election ! Oh, and by the way worth noting that the hour goes back here the night before the marathon. I'll post this on the event thread nearer the date.

It's probably a good thing that you and Mrs P don't travel to the start together, too much stress:)

I'm well aware that we'll be arriving during election mania, all my US friends are getting tired of all the coverage at this stage,as I'm sure you are:)

We would have loved to join you and Mrs P for dinner but it's a flying visit to New York, land on Friday afternoon and fly home on Monday evening... Just enough time to see the 9/11 Memorial, meet some pals for dinner, run a marathon and do some shopping. Thanks so much for the offer, especially since I'm sure you'll be busy packing for your trip home and recovering from a great marathon;)

The extra hour sleep sounds fantastic, although I'm sure it will just be an extra hour to lie awake waiting for marathon day to start;)

Marthastew wrote: »
    ... land on Friday afternoon and fly home on Monday evening... Just enough time to see the 9/11 Memorial, meet some pals for dinner, run a marathon and do some shopping.

Just an average weekend then eh ?:)

Wednesday (continued): pm Swim + 30 mins Bike.

Another tri day :D.

However ... my trusty 14 year old car decided to start stalling periodically when idling .... so trip back from the pool was stressful and plans for tomorrow are now blown.

Thursday: 10+ miles ? w/5xbridge

With no car I returned to my bridge. Lead and paint fumes be damned. However ... open manhole covers spanning almost the entire predestrian way are a different matter:eek:. I was able to squeeze past but there was no running the entire length of the northern side. In the midst of talking to the guys working to make sure I could do this I stopped the watch and failed to restart it again - again. So 2.5 miles to the bridge, 2 complete round trips (2X2X1.3 miles) and one half-way/turn-around trip (1 mile?) and probably 2 miles home = between 10 and 11 miles or there abouts.

Weight: 145. Getting back to my weight of 18 months ago. I was 142 running Barcelona 2011 iirc.

Limped the stalling car into the autoshop where it behaved beatifully - no sign of a stall :mad:. I even whispered something about a scrape yard if it made my look stupid - but oh no -with strangers watching it was perfect.

• Advertisement

You crack me up. :)

You crack me up. :)

... the George Constanza of running :rolleyes:.

Friday: 5 miles. Pace 8.47 HR: 126

A rather miserable morning. When I hit the river I was facing a head wind and a stinging rain. Ugh. Probably too hard an effort for recovery but I had to get home again !

pm: Light core session

Saturday: 17 miles. Pace 8.00 HR: 135

Really strange morning. Along the river the skyline was lost in clouds but below the clouds was a very strange surreal light that illuminated the streets between the buildings. It was cool but the air was heavy and strangely humid for the first hour until the sun burned it off.

Legs felt very heavy. I also got a little light headed on the first set of hills. It passed before I ditched the run but left me a bit wary. So while the end pace was ok this was a much tougher run than I expected. Pre taper - taper madness ? Or the result of a massage Thursday night ? Or tired legs ? I'm going with the massage as the cause right now.
    But I'm also aware that I have spent way too much time on concrete and brick surfaces this week. If I missed this my knee registered a minor protests after this run.

However ... the big event. At the end of run I did a loop of water front park waiting for the 17 miles mark to register on the watch. What did I see in the middle - hay bales (proper square ones by way) piled up in the middle of the park unto which small children were being hurled from a great height.

PM: Swim

Sunday: 4 miles, grass. Recovery

Another watch messup. Forgot to stop post the run. Last two miles dipped into the 8.3x pace. But a nice run .... and on grass. Followed by ....
    Swim.

Taper time ! No idea what I'm going to do here. Maintain intensity ... drop mileage is the rule. Don't know about tempo runs in the last two weeks ?
    A little track work and strides are on the agenda. I'll continue the swimming and the occassional bike session. But continue the strength training ? Decisions, decisions ....

Hay bales?? You saw hay bales?? That IS a big event. I seriously don't know how you had enough self control and discipline to not go over there, push the kids out of your way and hurdle yourself into blissful delirium. :D

On my way to trail run today I passed a huge hay field with so many gorgeous hay bales scattered about, and that scene caused hyper-hay-bale stimulation resulting in ideas flying through my mind of what I could do with all those bales that I myself was thrown into my own blissful delirium just thinking about all the possibilities and fun. (Gosh, and I was even driving while all that was going on.) ;):)

Mind the light headedness, George. Perhaps if it wasn't the massage then maybe you didn't eat enough in advance. You are so ready for this marathon. :cool:

Hay bales?? You saw hay bales?? That IS a big event. I seriously don't know how you had enough self control and discipline to not go over there, push the kids out of your way and hurdle yourself into blissful delirium. :D

On my way to trail run today I passed a huge hay field with so many gorgeous hay bales scattered about, and that scene caused hyper-hay-bale stimulation resulting in ideas flying through my mind of what I could do with all those bales that I myself was thrown into my own blissful delirium just thinking about all the possibilities and fun. (Gosh, and I was even driving while all that was going on.) ;):)

Oddly enough I was able to restrain myself :):).
    Mind the light headedness, George. Perhaps if it wasn't the massage then maybe you didn't eat enough in advance. You are so ready for this marathon. :cool:

I'm putting the heavy legs down the the massage. The light headedness ... well my first suspect would be electrolytes.

Ready or not ... here it comes ! I'd guess I'm about ~80%. I suspect that I will face some serious struggles later on as I suspect I don't really have the miles in the legs tbh. But we'll see. I really have no idea !

Anyways.....

Monday: 7 miles w/short hills. pace 8.09 HR: Avg: 129

Have not done this in a few weeks. 5 x each hill. I did skip the last hill.

Tuesday: 8 miles w 4x.75mile hill Pace: 8.18 HR: 136

Back the the viaduct leading to the Lincoln Tunnel. 4 reps of the hill. First and last were tough but the ones in the middle were not too bad. HR at end was ~160 which is getting into 5k territory for me.

No more hills this week !

Wednesday: 5.5 miles, recovery, grass. Pace: 8.38 HR: 124

Probably too fast - again. I thought I had cracked this bad habit but it is creeping back :(.

PM: Swim (1k) + 30 mins bike

Thursday: 8 miles w/5@ tempo

2 miles warmup on track and grass, 5 tempo miles, 1 mile w/d on grass.

LT Miles (Target Pace=6.50)|1|2|3|4|5
    Pace | 6.55 | 6.46 | 6.42 | 6.50 | 6.49
    HR Avg | 149 | 154 | 160 | 162 | 164

Ummph ! The HR is creeping into the 160s - that's pushing it a bit for me. This was as hard as it felt ! I normally do the tempo run earlier in the week so the legs are a bit fresher - still 160+ on the watch was a bit of shock. So harder than I expected, but it is in the bag. Keeping on grass as much as possible to keep the knee happy.

Thursday (continued): Swim + strength

Friday: 6 miles Recovery(?) w/4*100m strides, grass Pace 8:17:(, HR: 128

Waaaaay to fast ... even allowing for the strides.

Saturday: 11 miles, Pace 7.54 HR: 137

Spend the morning as an ill fated marshall for a 5k hosted by Mrs P'c club. I was the 2m marker and supposed to call out the time in the absence of clocks. So after carrying traffic cones around all morning I was happy to assume my "human clock" duties.
    Given what I do for a living I should have known better but I meekly agreed to have the start texted to me so I would know when to start the stop watch.
    Of course texting is not really real time and the "start" text took almost 2 minutes to show up. So when the first runners passed by I cheerfully called out "8 35" ... and then began to wonder .... really three guys at sub 5 pace. A quick look at the runners comming next convinced me that there had not been an influx of Olympic calibar runners. So I dumped the watch and just smiled (hands held the two miles sign).

And then I went for a run. A great run on fresh semi tapered legs ? Running easily, sailing up and flowing down the hills ? Well ....no. Actually felt like c**p! Was very happy to get the run done. I may need a taper a bit more aggressively but I always have a bad run before a marathon.

PM: Swim

Sunday: No running today.

Swim.

I hope that smile at the 2 mile marker was your most special smile ever. :D

Hoping you've battened down the hatches and are safe and sound. I'm guessing you've already lost power....send me some smoke signals if you need anything!

I hope that smile at the 2 mile marker was your most special smile ever. :D

Well ... it was a very sweet (if I say so myself) if somewhat sheepish smile.
    Hoping you've battened down the hatches and are safe and sound. I'm guessing you've already lost power....send me some smoke signals if you need anything!

Are you in the clear down there ? This thing is so big it's hard to see where it has stopped.

We're hanging in. The storm has not reached here yet - should be a few more hours - early evening I think.

To be honest I'm worried ! Our house should be ok if the winds stay below 90mph but we have an apartment in Hoboken (just blocks off the Hudson River) that may well be under water this evening. It got through Irene with about 4ft to spare. Still not a thing I can do at this stage. I'm just thankful there is no one staying there for the marathon this year.

I did go for a run this morning ...:D

Monday: 6 miles. Pace 8.06 HR ??

So I looked out this morning and decided I could sneak in a run before the worst of the storm arrived. My usual park is close even to pedestrians ( looks like a lot of tree damage already) so I took to the almost deserted roads. Those by the river (Passaic) were closed and the river even at 7am was lapping onto the road. Got some reaction from cops and city workers but no one whisked me off to the padded cells.

First three miles were ok but the rain then turned torrential and I found myself facing a nasty headwind on the return leg. Way, way, way to hard for a taper run but conditions did not encouage an easy pace.

Doubt I'll be able to run for a few days so I'll be confined to the eliptical and bike. Hopefully I'll be able to read inspirational DCM reports - as long as the power lasts.

We're fine down here, but the temp is dropping and the rain is picking up. The worst for us should be tonight into tomorrow with wind being our biggest threat and power predicted to be lost at some point. I should have thought of that (the power) when I stocked up on 6 pints of ice cream yesterday!! I had heard some in NY had already lost power, so I immediately thought of you. Be safe...and I'll think very positive thoughts for your Hoboken apartment!!! Taper madness AND a major hurricane - talk about the double whammy!!! :eek:;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ellie_sun

Hope you got through the storm ok, looks pretty messy...

Wondering the same thing - if you are ok...and how things are......

ellie_sun wrote: »
    Hope you got through the storm ok, looks pretty messy...
    Wondering the same thing - if you are ok...and how things are......

me too... hope you are all ok and thinking of you.

We're all still thinking of you. I hear electricity to most of NJ won't be restored for a week, so here's hoping you are safe, warm, and not drinking spoiled milk. (smell it first...and if it's chunky, toss it!!) If you feel like heading to rural Virginia, we've got plenty of space for you and the Mrs.!!! And if you are running the NY marathon - BEST OF LUCK!!!! Post your bib number if you get this....or if anyone knows pgmcpq's bib number, please post it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

+1. Hope everything is ok and you managed to escape any damage.

Thanks all. We are ok. Not fun. I'm 40 miles west stealing wifi ! No power/cell service so we are totally cut off. Damage is extensive but I am not thinking about it yet. Still running as it is the only entertainment left ! Not sure if we can do the marathon. Hope Ellie_p is ok

Well, I hope you can do the marathon. Seems somehow the right thing to do if you can - seems somehow proactive and defiant in the face of disaster - and I imagine it will be a very emotionally moving scene and atmosphere - one that will stay with you. Best to you and yours.

Sorry to hear you're so badly impacted p, what a mess.

Glad you still intend to do the marathon.

Well, I hope you can do the marathon. Seems somehow the right thing to do if you can - seems somehow proactive and defiant in the face of disaster - and I imagine it will be a very emotionally moving scene and atmosphere - one that will stay with you. Best to you and yours.

Priorities:
    1. Preserve enough battery power to charge the garmin

• Advertisement

p let me know if I can do anything to help - I'm planning on expo tomorrow evening if I could grab your bid or anything (I'm not sure if they are letting other people pick up but worth an email to NYRR)

Advertisement