Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The end of the road (are we there yet?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

ellie_sun wrote: »
    p let me know if I can do anything to help - I'm planning on expo tomorrow evening if I could grab your bid or anything (I'm not sure if they are letting other people pick up but worth an email to NYRR)

Thx- but there are problems beyond this. Not sure how we get to SI ! We will try.

Going home - so offline. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Firstly, I'm so relieved you are ok and still have your priorities right (Garmin charging) but I am so very sorry that you have suffered damage.
    Most of my friends there have been lucky enough to have no damage but they are also without power, water, heat....
    I really, really hope you can both get to run the marathon as I agree with Dory, it will be something proactive. Keeping fingers, toes and everything else crossed for you and Mrs P:)

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ellie_sun

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Thx- but there are problems beyond this. Not sure how we get to SI ! We will try.

Going home - so offline. Fingers crossed.

Saw this on the website and thought it could be useful to you (sorry for the long post, I don't know if I'm allowed links)

The Staten Island Ferry transportation option is cancelled. Runners who selected Staten Island Ferry service have been re-assigned to bus service from the New York Public Library at 42nd Street and Fifth Avenue. Departure times are as follows:
    • Wave 1: 4:30 a.m.
    • Wave 2: 5:30 a.m.
    • Wave 3: 6:30 a.m.
    • Wave 4: 7:30 a.m.

Please arrive at least 15 minutes before your scheduled departure time.
    Runners previously assigned to New York Public Library bus service at 5:30 and 6:00 a.m. should report to the NYPL at their scheduled time.
    Runners who selected New Jersey Bus should report to the Meadowlands Arena at 5:00 a.m.

Runners who selected No Transportation will need to make their own transportation arrangements or see the transportation desk at the expo for options.

Well, this is like one of those christmas movies where all ends well. I was a bit premature on the damage assessment. We made it back to Hoboken yesterday to find that the aparment has stayed above water (by inches looking at the water line - there is some warping of the floor) :):):):):):):):):). Cannot believe it - I can only think we were saved by the drainage work they did for the hospital accross the road some years ago. All around us people are dumping furniture on the sidewalks, pumping water into the streets but by some miracle our building stayed afloat. There is one destroyed car in the parking lot. Even more amazing - it has power .... and heat !!!! Just our street - the next block is out. We seem to have existed in a little bubble of safety. To be honest I am developing "survivor's guilt".

Made to by bus to the expo. Manhattan is almost back to normal (east sidstill has no power in places). The PATH (subway systen that runs under the Hudson is out of action - I assume it was flooded so it may be days/weeks away from being operating - so we are relient on buses or ferries.

With access to the web, I've become aware that there is a large backlash against holding the marathon (some even threatening to blockade the route etc). I can understand people feeling ticked off if they have no power/heat etc. If it were up to me I would have cancelled or postponed it last Monday once the scale of the storm became clear but at this point it is too late to call it off. I am not sure I can morally defend running - but I cannot see any benefit to not running either. So we run.

Still not sure how I get to the marathon - there's been no word on the bus. One step at a time.

Bib #10227, if by any chance anyone runs across me (in 45,000 people :D).

PS.

The salmon pink building in the opening of the video on this page is the apartment building in Hoboken :

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Sorry the marathon has been cancelled....or, um, possibly postponed until spring 2013. You'll only be that much faster by then. :)

And after seeing on the news tonight how bad things still are in NJ and NY, the marathon being cancelled is a small blip on the screen. So glad you are safe and sound. Do let me know if you need anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Delighted to hear that your home is ok. Sorry to hear that your race isn't. But I suppose, once you have a home, there will be plenty more races.

Without access to news until yesterday we are only now starting to see the scale of damage. We now have power ... But most of Hoboken does not. The whole neighborhood smells of damp, every sidewalk is piled high with ruined appliances and furniture. Again - I assume my a/c is history and we lost some electrical systems but we have been extraordinarily lucky. We spent a few nights volunteering at a local school operating as a shelter ( it was actually a good way to stay warm as the school had a generator !! ) and some of the people had been rescued by boat a few miles
    from us.

I have signed up for a small marathon in two weeks. With the trip to Ireland I don't know how I will manage trainig for this ..but what the hell ! Fourth time lucky ???

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Sorry the marathon has been cancelled....or, um, possibly postponed until spring 2013. You'll only be that much faster by then. :)

And after seeing on the news tonight how bad things still are in NJ and NY, the marathon being cancelled is a small blip on the screen. So glad you are safe and sound. Do let me know if you need anything.

Well ... I have mixed feelings about the cancellation - probably right decision, wrong timing - but I am gutted. Focusing on the race was a huge help in getting through the week. Either way the timing of the cacellation was shocking. In fairness it is very difficult to estimate recovery time given the conditions. Every pool of water could have downed electrical lines. Many electrical lines have fallen trees suspended on them. But canceling after everyone has arrived to use hotel rooms etc ....?

2013: Hum ... there are other fall marathon I want to do and I'm not sure about paying for NY for the third time !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Like the other posters said, glad to hear you are ok, P. Sorry to hear about the damage you have suffered, I hope the recovery process is as quick and painless as possible.

Shame the race was cancelled in the manner it was - as you say - probably right decision, definitely wrong timing.

All the best,
    Killerz

[QUOTE=Killerz;81577841. Sorry to hear about the damage you have suffered[/QUOTE]

Thanks. worth saying again we were extraordinarily lucky by comparison with near neighbors ... almost freakily so.

A number of images stick with me : There is most of a boat (a 35 foot boat I am told )resting on its side on a river front walkway. On it someone has painted a message "Global waming is real".

I was working down in a shelter in the housing projects early Sunday. We were out on the street passing out oatmeal and a guy - older, wizzened and with the missing teeth that characterize poverty in this country - asks me for coffee. So I tell him to to go the the shelter - plenty of coffee. An hour or two later I am back and the same guy arrives. "Great, where's the coffee". "Right over there". Minutes later. "But this is instant - I can't drink instant" :rolleyes:. You have to laugh.

Ok back to running:

Wednesday: 7 miles

Thursday: 6 miles

Saturday: 4 miles + 3 ultra slow miles with Mrs P.

Sunday: 16 miles. pace: 8.10

Not a good run. Probably mental as I should have been fresh ... but I spend he morning on my feet and ate too close to the run. Forced myself through a tough route with lots of climbing. Need to get back in the groove for my new marathon in two weeks.

Monday: 8 miles w4X.75 mile hills.

this session does not get any easier. Definately finding it hard to get re started.

Finally my new target marathon is the Bucks County marathon in Pennslyvania on the 18th. They sent me a nice email this morning which included the following:

"The Parks crews are still cleaning up some fallen tress, but they are confident that everything will be back to normal by race day. That being said, if you're anxious, have some time on your hands, and actually know how to use a chainsaw, the Delaware Canal State Park Assistant Manager may like some additional help."

Wondering what have i signed up for ......?

Finally I will be in the Bray/Greystones area in a few days. If anyone is up for a run let me know and I'll dump family obligations and sneak out the window.

Finally, finally I see the NYM 2012 shirts are already on ebay:D:D:D:D:D:D.... gotta love it !

• Advertisement

I'm heading for JFK in a bit, it's been an interesting visit to say the least and I was definitely suffering from some of the "survivor guilt" you've had:)

Manhattan, as you know, is largely unaffected and there were lines almost a mile long outside Hollister and the Apple store so I think I got over the guilt when I saw that;)

Best of luck for your next race, did Mrs P sign up also?
    I'm up the road from Greystones in Glenageary so give me a shout if you fancy a run up Vico Road, have a safe trip home

Marthastew wrote: »
    Manhattan, as you know, is largely unaffected and there were lines almost a mile long outside Hollister and the Apple store so I think I got over the guilt when I saw that;)

Best of luck for your next race, did Mrs P sign up also?
    I'm up the road from Greystones in Glenageary so give me a shout if you fancy a run up Vico Road, have a safe trip home

No Mrs P could not commit so I'm solo on this one. Interested in the question you posed on the main forum ... I've been wondering this myself.

Not sure about Glenageary - I'm on a pretty tight lease here !

Tuesday: 45 mins gentle on a stationary bike.
    Wednesday: 9 miles, Pace: 8.08 HR: 144

Ran the Bray-Greystones cliff walk (well until mud turned me back - I've only one pair of shoes!). Lovely run - have not been on this path since 1970s :eek: (much different today).

Thursday: 10 disjointed miles

Back to the cliff walk. Unfortunately Mrs P had an attack of EIA so we have to stop for some time to allow her to recover and she was forced to walk back. She wanted me to run on and I did not want to leave her so we compromised that I ran ahead and would double back periodically to pick her up.

On Thursday night we went down to watch the kids training with Kilcoole A/C at the Charlesland track - including my grand neice and grand nephew (Gawd ... I'm old :(). Really great to see this - hats off the to guys who run this. Inquired about use of the track but to my suprise it is amazingly busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Just saw your post. If you're still about it would be great to meet up for a few miles. Won't be around this evening, bit have an empty running diary for the weekend.

Just saw your post. If you're still about it would be great to meet up for a few miles. Won't be around this evening, bit have an empty running diary for the weekend.

Sorry I wasn't able to take you up on this. Family duties kept the leash pretty short.

Friday: 7 miles. Pace 8.01 HR: 127

Saturday: 10 miles. Pace: 8.26 HR: 137

Back to the Bray-Greystones cliff walk. Got stuck behind some people on one of the narrower sections, combined with walking the steps and tiptoing through the mud so pace dropped,

Sunday: 8 miles. Pace: 8.46 HR: 129

One last round trip on the cliff walk on a great sunny morning. Really have enjoyed runnng here. Probably should be taking it easier this week with a marathon in a week ... but I don't get the chance to run outside the city very often so I have to take the chance when I can. Porridge with stewed apples at Summerville in Greystones followed - no better way to start a day.

The cancellation of NY meant that the last three weeks has been, taper, taper, restart... and now back to a one week taper. Not exactly prescribed by any training plan ... but needs must. It is now five weeks since my last 20 miler.

Tuesday: 6 miles easy w/8*100 strides.

Back to the local park for the first time since Sandy. Bad, but it could be worse.

Wednesday: 4 miles easy, grass: Pace 9.01

Taking it very very gently. Since coming back from Ireland I have been feeling a strain in my right calf muscle. It not taper madness ... it's does not seem to be hanpering me but it is there. Hoping it goes away - getting the compression socks out.

Very, very best of luck on Sunday. Not sure what time you start but with the time change I'll hopefully be finishing as you cross the start line.

Yes, the very best to you at the weekend. Is the marathon on Saturday or Sunday?? What time is the start so I can think of you and cheer you on from a few states away?? :)

Marthastew wrote: »
    Very, very best of luck on Sunday. Not sure what time you start but with the time change I'll hopefully be finishing as you cross the start line.

Cheers. You'll be done, dusted and celebrating before I even start. We start at 9am (actually 9.00.30 I'm in wave 2!!!! Each wave is 50 people to minimize crowding on the paths).
    Yes, the very best to you at the weekend. Is the marathon on Saturday or Sunday?? What time is the start so I can think of you and cheer you on from a few states away??

Sunday. 9am actually starting where Washington crossed the Delware ! The youtube clips show a course that's just a bit different to NY.

Wednesday (continued): pm Swim

Thursday: 6 miles easy with 3*100 + 2 * 200m strides

An easy mile with Mrs P, 3 miles on grass, a mile with a friend, finishing with a set of strides.

pm: Swim

At approximately 10am Sunday I will be starting my 8 mile run, so I will be running with you cheering you on! I really hope you enjoy the day and cross the finish line in a super speedy time!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ellie_sun

Best of luck with the run

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

good luck on sunday

menoscemo wrote: »
    good luck on sunday

Thanks N, How are you doing with the hip problem ? Your log has gone a bit quiet since Dublin.

At approximately 10am Sunday I will be starting my 8 mile run, so I will be running with you cheering you on! I really hope you enjoy the day and cross the finish line in a super speedy time!! :)

Just so it stays dry and the tow path stays packed dirt, and not mud. Think dry, dry thoughts. Congrats on the Steamtown award !

Well?? I thought about you during my easy 8 mile run....imagining what mile you were on and how you might be feeling. I hope it all went well for you. :)

Well?? I thought about you during my easy 8 mile run....imagining what mile you were on and how you might be feeling. I hope it all went well for you. :)

3.22.29 .... As George Orwell said: 24 miles good, 2 miles bad. !! Great event. Mixed feelings In the car home now - yes mrs p is driving. More to come ...

pgmcpq wrote: »
    3.22.29 .... As George Orwell said: 24 miles good, 2 miles bad. !! Great event. Mixed feelings In the car home now - yes mrs p is driving. More to come ...

That is fantastic! A seriously great comeback! I'm thrilled for you. Congratulations.
    Well done to Mrs P on chauffeuring duties:D

3:22??!! Holy crap! That is awesome! I'm not sure of your age, but did that just qualify you for Boston?

So the plan:

Run the marathon through the streets of NY, with 47,000 others. Nice two week taper, no travel, sleep in my own bed.

Actual:

Run the packed earth canal tow path along the Delaware Canal with 500 others, round trip to and from Ireland in the weeks before, scramble to randomly book any hotel that looked near the race start.

The race:

Race packet pickup :
    picture.php?albumid=2288&pictureid=14172

The course :

picture.php?albumid=2288&pictureid=14174

picture.php?albumid=2288&pictureid=14173

My race:

Preparation were ideal .., no problems (except another problem with the ties on the Race Ready shorts :o ). Race organization was superb. A marathon this small was a new experience for me and I had been a little nervous about it - but no need. Condtions were ideal - was cold at the start warming to about 50f at the end.

The course is narrow so we took off in small waves. Running by heart rate did not work out. It was so cold that there was insuffcent sweat build up to give accurate reading. So I decided to set a target pace of 7.40 and reevaluate at half-way. In the early miles I was able to tuck in behind small groups but as people started to slow I was forced to leave them and move on to the next group. Scenary was beatiful and I was was feeling pretty good. I did start to feel some kind of strain about mile 10 which was a too soon but I was still pretty confident. There were a set of steps to climb at mile 8 (and descent at 18), Ran by a working steam train around mile 9 ! Took a gel at mile 8.

Pace (1-13): 7.30, 7.44, 7.30, 7.38, 7.38, 7.37, 7.35, 7.52, 7.42, 7.36, 7.39, 7.37, 7.32

After the turn around things got a little trickier. Some (just some) of the slower runner running side-by-side did not move to make room for runners on the backward leg. Spectators were few but by the time I met them on the way back it was like meeting long time friends.

Pace (14-15): 7.32, 7.39

Still feeling pretty good and was thinking about the big push in the last few miles :o even had notions of getting close to PB :o:o. At mile 16 there was a photo - "Not the Queensboro Bridge" that made me laugh but was also a useful reality check about how far there was still to go. Took a second gel around mile 15. All good but it is now pretty lonely out here. At mile 18 I left a pair of guys running together and found myself running alone without sight of anyone in front.

Pace: (16-18): 7.27, 7.32, 7.35

Now I'm starting to stuggle a bit and start looking for the next mile marker. At this stage the scenary was not as uplifting as it had been. Post the race I realized I had failed to notice landmarks on the return leg. I do now see a couple of runners in front - the nearest being a guy in blue and I am definately gaining on him.

Pace: (19-21): 7.32, 7.25, 7.33

I switch to Gatorade at the last few aid stations. "Blue" passed a guy in green who had clearly bonked. I passed him too but I am feeling the strain.

Pace: (22-23) 7.46, 7.46

I caught "Blue" and was behind him at the last aid station. I took Gatorade. Then .......**boom** ... all of a sudden Blue starts to pull away from me and I realise that my pace has dropped back to 8m/m plus and I am not able to respond. Still feel ok but I am simply out of gas.
    I am now passed for the first time since the first couple of miles.

Pace: (24-25): 8.03, 8.35

Legs are now gone and suddently this is not fun.

Pace: (26 +): (9.08)

End up walking briefly twice as I furiously calculate that 3.1x is gone and wonder if the BQ is in jepoardy after all the good work earlier. Mrs P is cheering (along with a few other folks she had recruited for my cheeing section) but I'm not in condition to do more than a thumbs down and head shake. Who the #@#@ decided to put the longest mile at the end of the race ?

Finally saw the 26 mile marker and the orange of the finishing shoot. Was able to marshell the rubber legs to cross with some dignity as the clock speed up alarmingly. For the first time ever after a race a volunteer felt the need to walk with me (volunteers were great) so I guess I didn't look so hot. Mrs P came and took control. The she had to deposit me to rescue another guy who was calling for help as he slowly collapsed as his legs cramped from under him.

Immediate reaction:

After all the bile/vitriol about the NYM post Sandy it was really nice to get to somewhere where running was fun, runners were not the enemy. This is definately an event I want ot repeat. They also have a twenty mile race in October.

I'm a bit disappointed with the last three miles. I really felt good and had no real indication that the bonk was coming. It is off road but this is a PB course (straight - my Garmin clocked 26.31 miles - as close to 26.2 as I have ever had and I tend to be decent at running tangents). As last as 19 miles I was still thinking that a close to PB time might be on the cards. So this was an opportunity lost.

I still need to fix the late race face. This time it was as much mental as physical I think ... it has been so long since my last marathon that I had forgotten some of the mental lessons learned.

On the other hand it was a decent first race back. A platform to build on and a clue that my training approach is working.

Next marathon is booked :). Los Angles on March 17th :):) with Mrs P, and her brother and nephew.

Now do I run the 8k next Thursday I am signed up for ? Game day decsion I think.
    did that just qualify you for Boston?

Shuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuusssssssssssssssssssh !!!! *Looks around anxiously* I'm a little paranoid about this. BQing for me usually preceeds disaster - still never run it. 2014 ? Actually only by 2.31 minutes. I'd want BQ-5 before booking the hotel.

In the unlikely event anyone is every around this part of the world here is the garmin data. Really recommend this as a run. We're already planning this a running weekend away in the spring.

Garmin:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/244865534

Well done there!!! I may have to keep that marathon and the 20 mile run in mind for next year!

Let me preface this by saying I am still a marathon-neophyte with oodles yet to learn, but did you only take 2 gels? Could that possible lack of energy (not to mention training, then tapering, then marathon cancelling, then traveling to Ireland, then tapering again, then scrambling to get to this new marathon....yada, yada...) have contributed to you "hitting the wall"? I definitely did not take in enough energy nor water at my last marathon, and I remember my low points were pretty miserable (physically and mentally), but they were followed by my body responding to the water and oranges I started consuming and I remember how amazing it felt to feel good again - and how amazed I was at the directly proportional response I was witnessing. Have you calculated how many calories/energy/fluids you consumed during the race?? Does it match the needs of that day?? And of course we could discuss the color of your urine and how long it was before you had to "go" post-race, but I'll pass on that topic for now. (everyone breathes a sigh of relief...)

But more importantly - you did a fantastic job!!! :D:D:D Your many months of training have been inspirational to read - and your positive and humorous attitude have made me smile more than once. Again, well done. And congrats on Boston.....woo hoo!!!! ;):):cool::D

• Advertisement

Well done there!!! I may have to keep that marathon and the 20 mile run in mind for next year!

Let me preface this by saying I am still a marathon-neophyte with oodles yet to learn, but did you only take 2 gels? Could that possible lack of energy (not to mention training, then tapering, then marathon cancelling, then traveling to Ireland, then tapering again, then scrambling to get to this new marathon....yada, yada...) have contributed to you "hitting the wall"? I definitely did not take in enough energy nor water at my last marathon, and I remember my low points were pretty miserable (physically and mentally), but they were followed by my body responding to the water and oranges I started consuming and I remember how amazing it felt to feel good again - and how amazed I was at the directly proportional response I was witnessing. Have you calculated how many calories/energy/fluids you consumed during the race?? Does it match the needs of that day?? And of course we could discuss the color of your urine and how long it was before you had to "go" post-race, but I'll pass on that topic for now. (everyone breathes a sigh of relief...)

But more importantly - you did a fantastic job!!! :D:D:D Your many months of training have been inspirational to read - and your positive and humorous attitude have made me smile more than once. Again, well done. And congrats on Boston.....woo hoo!!!! ;):):cool::D

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Didn't I say something similar to you after Steamtown :o. Krusty pointed out the same problem last marathon. I get into a groove, feel good and get really reluctant to disturb the flow. Actually I had switched to Gatorade in the last few miles consious of the fact that I had not taken a gel ... but it does not really seem to have done the job. How much I got down is questionable as I had to ditch the cup in the nearby bins ... littering the tow path was not an option.

I also think I need to work on my quads strength. It's taken longer than I remember for them to recover this time.

Advertisement