Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The end of the road (are we there yet?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Really enjoyed your report, especially the "This is not Queensboro Bridge" sign.;)
    I'm delighted you had a chance to enjoy a race after all the post Sandy negativity. Even more so because you were returning from injury. I'm sure running on your own must have also contributed to the last couple of miles being tough and I think we're all agreed that on St Patricks Day you will consume at least 3 gels?;)

Take plenty of time for rest and recovery now (I'm saying this to you in the hope that I will do so) and super dooper congratulations on a fantastic race and the BQ:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Marthastew wrote: »
    ......and I think we're all agreed that on St Patricks Day you will consume....

Yeah ... pretty much a definite ....
    ......at least 3 gels?;)

..oh, wait .... gels.. right !

Took it easy last week. Felt a bit of twinge outside the right knee. I'm not sure but it might be a touch of ITBS :(. Not overly concerned about it .. yet.

Tuesday: 5 miles, easy, grass. Pace: 8.57
    Wednesday: 3 miles, ultra slow. Pace: 11.47
    Out with Mrs P to test out the right knee. - still feeling a bit of a pinch.

Saturday: 9 miles. Pace: 8.29 HR 136
    Club run. Annoying enough the knee continued to be a bother after this run.

Meanwhile, tensions run high at home. Before the marathon my carefully selected race shoes disappeared. After an exhaustive search, I was forced to unwrap another pair of my hoardered Mizuno WaveRunner 13s. Well. post run on Saturday magically I found a pair that matched the missing shoes exactly in the living room. As I examined them for clues Mrs P appeared and demanded "What you doing with my shoe?". "Your shoe - a man's size 9 1/2, width 2E - your shoe". So my shoes had in fact been stolen (and worn without ever tipping the wearer that these shoes where approximately a size too large and a fitting too wide :rolleyes:). The suspect is maintaining her innocence despite overwhelming evidence. The shoes have been rescued and are undergoing therapy :).

So .... onto figuring a plan for LA ...and possibly a marathon in May with NJ or the Pocnos begin possibles.

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Yeah ... pretty much a definite ....

..oh, wait .... gels.. right !

Took it easy last week. Felt a bit of twinge outside the right knee. I'm not sure but it might be a touch of ITBS :(. Not overly concerned about it .. yet.

Tuesday: 5 miles, easy, grass. Pace: 8.57
    Wednesday: 3 miles, ultra slow. Pace: 11.47
    Out with Mrs P to test out the right knee. - still feeling a bit of a pinch.

Saturday: 9 miles. Pace: 8.29 HR 136
    Club run. Annoying enough the knee continued to be a bother after this run.

Meanwhile, tensions run high at home. Before the marathon my carefully selected race shoes disappeared. After an exhaustive search, I was forced to unwrap another pair of my hoardered Mizuno WaveRunner 13s. Well. post run on Saturday magically I found a pair that matched the missing shoes exactly in the living room. As I examined them for clues Mrs P appeared and demanded "What you doing with my shoe?". "Your shoe - a man's size 9 1/2, width 2E - your shoe". So my shoes had in fact been stolen (and worn without ever tipping the wearer that these shoes where approximately a size too large and a fitting too wide :rolleyes:). The suspect is maintaining her innocence despite overwhelming evidence. The shoes have been rescued and are undergoing therapy :).

So .... onto figuring a plan for LA ...and possibly a marathon in May with NJ or the Pocnos begin possibles.

You can consume as many beers as you like after the race on Paddy's Day as you'll be celebrating your PB:)

I wouldn't worry too much about Mrs P stealing your shoes, I hear poor Emer911 has a terrible time wwith the Klown stealing her running gear, it happens to the best of us.... Only the other night I walked in and found Mr Stew dressed in..... Oh wait, sorry that's for another thread;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You can consume as many beers as you like after the race on Paddy's Day as you'll be celebrating your PB:)

I wouldn't worry too much about Mrs P stealing your shoes, I hear poor Emer911 has a terrible time wwith the Klown stealing her running gear, it happens to the best of us.... Only the other night I walked in and found Mr Stew dressed in..... Oh wait, sorry that's for another thread;)
    At this stage, I think it's fair to say that I have, at one time or another, borrowed and worn every piece of conceivable clothing that a female runner might wear, with the exception of running shoes (oh, ok, and a sports bra). In my defense though, it was always by accident. All girls running gear should be pink, or turqouise, or aquamarine (that's a colour, right?). But running shoes? I am intimately aware of every scratch, smell, blemish and mile in my shoes. There is no possible way I could mistake anyone else's shoes for my own. I call foul pgmcpq. Time to get the lawyers in. :D

On another note, I reckon you should do a long run at some point, and bring 6 gels with you and a roll of toilet paper. Take one gel every three miles and see what happens. I suspect, it will be very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

On another note, I reckon you should do a long run at some point, and bring 6 gels with you and a roll of toilet paper. Take one gel every three miles and see what happens. I suspect, it will be very little.

Are you saying he won't need the toilet paper? Or something else?? :o

• Advertisement

. There is no possible way I could mistake anyone else's shoes for my own. I call foul pgmcpq. Time to get the lawyers in.

As we usually run the same races we have regular issues over whose shirt is whose... but exactly .... how the heck do you not notice that the shoes are way too big. And it looks like she put some mileage in to given the mud caked on. Lawyers ? Tricky ... guess what she does for a living :rolleyes:. Think this will need to be an out of court settlement.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    , but did you only take 2 gels? Could that possible lack of energy
    I think we're all agreed that on St Patricks Day you will consume at least 3 gels?
    . On another note, I reckon you should do a long run at some point, and bring 6 gels with you and a roll of toilet paper. Take one gel every three miles and see what happens. I suspect, it will be very little.

Embarassingly I thinking about the plan for LA and copying over some files from an old computer. I the course of this I re read my Barcelona .. and then a thought occurred to me that made me re read an earlier reports .. then another. Sure enough - every marathon I took two gels ... faded and regretted skipping the later gels afterwards. It seems I never learn. It's not GI issues that dissuade me - it is that I am feeling good but don't really want to take anymore sugar. I'm going to experiment with something other than a gel. I am thinking about mixing a gel with porridge/oatmeal to counteract the sweetness and taking it in a gel flask.

Sit down and write 100 times : I must take my gels. I must take my gels. I must take my gets. I must ...

So decided on a six weeks of 10k training, then 10 weeks build up to LA.

The 10k weeks will borrow some sessions from Daniels along with the McMillian 10k sessions. I'm targetting a sub40 10k pace. Not sure if this is wise ... but I'll find out and adjust downwards as needed.
    Basic plan :
    2 quality sessions a week (tempo + (track or MLR) + long run
    OR 1 quality(tempo/track) + fast finish long run.

Monday: 6 miles/grass&wood. Pace: 8.46
    pm: Swim + core

Tuesday:
    Plan: 2miles easy + 5x( 2x(200m+200m recovery)+400m+400m recovery))

Wet windy morning, I took the opportunity to run the track backwards !! Just for variety - I often wondered about the impact of always doing trackwork in a clockwise direction. Pace is curiously consistent which I think had to do with starting the 200s into a headwind. Happy with this.

Reps | 200m | 200m | 400m
    1 | 43 | 44 | 89
    2 | 43 | 44 | 89
    3 | 43 | 43 | 88
    4 | 44 | 44 | 88
    5 | 44 | 43 | 89

pm: Swim

Wednesday: 6 miles easy/grass. Pace:

Thursday: 7+ miles
    Plan: 6 x1m w1-2mins recovery at 10k pace:

Blown session. I knew this was ambitious so it's going to take a bit of build up. Managed first three miles ok ... but accidently hit stop rather than lap so had to stop the 4th mile and could not get going again. Lungs were not having it. After a few minutes I did a last mile and bagged it. Ok so ... as I suspected I need a bit of work here before my 10k PB starts quaking at the knees. I need to take a step back here. Also I should also put the tempo session as the first quality session in the week.

4x1Mile tempo | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
    Time | 6.19 | 6.19 | 6.19 | 6.22
    HR Avg | 155 | 162 | 165 | 166
    Rest | 1.29 | 1.45 | ?? |

pm: Swim + light strength

Friday: 6 miles : 1 mile polymetrics* + 5 miles recovery.

My first attempt ... some of these require a sense of balance that a bit beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I'm going to experiment with something other than a gel. I am thinking about mixing a gel with porridge/oatmeal to counteract the sweetness and taking it in a gel flask.

Sit down and write 100 times : I must take my gels. I must take my gels. I must take my gets. I must ...
    I still vote for the experiment! Pack enough money for a taxi home (just in case!) and simulate an environment where you take too many gels. I reckon you'll arrive home with a sugar-buzz and a slight head-ache. On the other hand, it'll show you that your run will not be severely hampered by taking a fourth or fifth gel.

I still vote for the experiment! Pack enough money for a taxi home (just in case!) and simulate an environment where you take too many gels. I reckon you'll arrive home with a sugar-buzz and a slight head-ache. On the other hand, it'll show you that your run will not be severely hampered by taking a fourth or fifth gel.

Beginning to get a craving for a piece of cheese ....:). No, you are right - I should get used to taking more gels on during a run in training. I am still going to find see if I can find something less sweet. I've read that taking more salt counteracts the aversion to taking more sugar on board.

Plans went a little askew over the weekend so runs were sqeezed in where time allowed.

Saturday: 8 miles, Pace: 7.39 HR: 150

Spent the morning at a funeral. As a long run this weekend was looking questionable I fit in a faster pace (MP) run in the remaining daylight. Tough enough - looking now the HR average should have been a tip off of what was to come.

Sunday: 14 miles. Pace: 8.28 HR: 127

Got out before going to a wake (yes it was that type of weekend). Intended to get a 16 mile run @ ~8.15 pace.. First 8 miles were fine, but ran out of gas around mile 9 and had to take a walk break at mile 11. Did not have a gel with me :o ... so the last 3 miles back home were run on fumes.
    Not sure what happened. HR did not peak - the stats look perfectly normal but the pace slowed. Bit disappointed with this ... but I took the himt and took Monday off.

Embarassingly I thinking about the plan for LA and copying over some files from an old computer. I the course of this I re read my Barcelona .. and then a thought occurred to me that made me re read an earlier reports .. then another. Sure enough - every marathon I took two gels ... faded and regretted skipping the later gels afterwards. It seems I never learn.

Intended to get a 16 mile run @ ~8.15 pace.. First 8 miles were fine, but ran out of gas around mile 9 and had to take a walk break at mile 11. Did not have a gel with me :o ... so the last 3 miles back home were run on fumes.
    Not sure what happened. HR did not peak - the stats look perfectly normal but the pace slowed. Bit disappointed with this ... but I took the himt and took Monday off.

I see you didn't get that writing lesson in. ;)

• Advertisement

I see you didn't get that writing lesson in. ;)

Indeed :D. Goes stands in corner

I would never bring a gel on a run less than 16 miles ot there abouts. If I'm running out of gas at mile 9 I've got things badly wrong somewhere.

Monday: 30 mins stationary bike.

Tuesday: Plan : 6*1 miles @ 10k pace. Total mileage: 10 miles+

A dry morning so I got to unwrap my new Kinervas. Not sure about long distance in these ... by the time I was done I was not worrying about the lack of padding. Do not want to get injured again - but I will push the distance a little and see how it goes, Also got a pair of Nike Air Pegasus ... still looking for a successor to the Mizuno Waverider 13s.

Back to my failed session from last week. However, in a small nod to realism I dropped the target pace to < 6.30 and increased the recovery time to 2.30mins with 30 seconds walk. So:

6x1M temp | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
    Time | 6.29 | 6.21 | 6.22 | 6.24 | 6.26 | 6.29
    HR Avg | 145 | 151 | 157 | 157 | 157 | 158
    Rest | 2.39 | 2.39 | 3.36 | 3.12 | 2.30 |

So the rest times were a bit longer than planned. Some of this was fumbling around with watch. Otherwise - satisfactory session, Nice to nail it after last weeks failure.

PM: Swim (1/2 mile) + core

Wednesday: 6 miles/grass/recovery. Pace: 8.50 HR: 137 ?? Cadance: 80

My latest purchases showed up. Gadget: a foot pod for the Garmin with the idea of looking at/improving my cadance - ideally 90 is the suggested rate. Took it out for a trial run. So a little work to do there - glancing at the watch during the run suggested that I was hitting a 85-90 rate but the average is well below that.

PM: Swim (1/2 mile) + strength

Thursday: 10x400m. Total mileage: 8 miles+.

2 miles easy. Then to the track on a cold morning. Target was 1.28-1.30.
    The empty track allowed me reverse direction half way. Messed up the timings of a few of the 400ms, turning the watch off instead of hitting 'lap'.

10x400m w400m recovery | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
    Times: | 1.31 | 1.30 | 1.29 | 1.28 | 1.27 | 1.26 | ??? | ??? | 1.28 | 1.25
    HR: | ??? | ??? | 146 | 147 | 147 | 195 | ??? | ??? | 157 | 157

Pretty happy with this. Deliberately wanted to 'pace' the intervals so that I would complete the session and still be strong at the end instead of blazing the first couple and blowing up the last few or failing to complete the session.

PM: Swim (1/2 mile) + core.

Friday: 6 miles, Pace 9.04

Saturday: 18 miles, Pace 8:14, HR: 140, Cadance: 89

Damp dreary morning. 7 hilly miles solo then joined the club run for another 9 miles... but as there were only two of us it ran long. Had to field "Irish qestions" for the last eight miles - some of these are tough enough to tease through while stationary. Last 6 miles were sub8.

Sunday: 8 miles w/hill reps

Squeezed in a run between rain showers. Went out thinking about a few MP miles but the short hill of my usual route called to me.

Monday (Dec10): 6 miles, recovery. Pace 9.00 HR: 140?

Damp, dull, dreary, foggy, miserable morning. The playing fields were mud so stuck on the asphalt. HR figures are suspect as it is cold so it takes a few miles before the HRM starts to report reasonable figures.

Tuesday: 10+ miles
    Plan: 4x200m+2X400m+1x800m+2x400m+4x200m with recovery equal to the interval distance.

Reps | | | |
    200m | 43 | 44 | 44 | 43
    400m | 87 | 87 | |
    800m | 174 | | |
    400m | 88 | 87 | |
    200m | 42 | 44 | 44 | 42

Pretty happy with that. Again with a basically empty track I reversed direction after the 800m and ran the rest clockwise - just to balance thing up. And when I was done ... the sun peaked out every so briefly for the first time in days.

PM: 45 miles stationary bike+45 mins eliptical.

Car is back at the dealer after it started to stall again :mad: so no swimming this week. Working on single leg peddling on the bike in my ongoing efforts to build leg strength.

Wednesday: 6 miles/grass(mud). Pace 9.34 HR: 139?

Legs were pretty heavy this morning so keeping it slow was not a problem. But the sun was out ! The grass was pretty mudy after serveral days of rain (in fact I've managed to spread mud over most of the house :().

PM: ~3 miles, Pace 8.50.

Well, finally they called me to come and pick up the car. After some though I decided that running it would be as fast as light rail so I stapped on the gear, a hi-vis vest and took off. Not much fun as dodging rush hour traffic here is not a bundle of laughs. But I am up a car .. and down $1000

Against my better judgement I am running a 15k this weekend. It does not really fit my plans right now and public transport on weekend is very limited and they continue to try to repair the tunnels post Sandy ... but Mrs P wants to do it and we've been offered a ride ... I ran this two years ago so it will be interesting to see how far I am off that standard. As a result I am going to use the race in place of a tempo run and so do a MLR tomorrow morning.

RIP Ravi

Thursday: 13 miles. Pace: 7.45 HR: 146 Cadance: 93

Been reading the Canova training thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056452125 got MP miles on the brain. So with a race this weekend and this likely to be as close to a long run as I get, I decided to dig up an old session idea from one of tergat's threads.

Plan: PMP 3/2/1 with a 2 mile recovery ( a mini tergat-esque session).

So I'm tentatively looking at 7.15 as a PMP ... with a big 'P' at the front. This may be revised downward. It's based on the hope that consistant training can yield up a PB.

3m: 7.10 / 6.53:rolleyes: / 7.13
    2m: 7.14 / 7.04
    1m: 7.06

Found this much harder than it should have been. Not helped by my inability to hit and hold the pace I wanted. Needs works to try to get this out. Will not revised the PMP down - yet, but nothing today suggested it is realistic.

My cadance is great ! Guess I wasted the money on the footpod as there is no improvement to be made there.

Those miles may have been hard, but they sure were fast (faster than your PMP). And speaking of those miles being hard - aren't they sort of supposed to be?? Yesterday, for instance, when I was running at my supposed 10k pace, there were moments I felt like I was dying out there...and I thought, this is only 10k pace....and for only 2 miles!!! :eek: And I immediately started to doubt myself and my ability and the reasonableness of my goals...and that's when I wondered about why these are hard - is it my ability or where I am in training? So, back to you - those miles were fast, and you were able to put three together, then two, then one.....and it was a training run on a Thursday after 9 miles on Wednesday, after 10+ miles on Tuesday, after 6 miles on Monday, and after spending $1k on your car....so, with all that in mind, I suspect when the time is right (maybe this weekend's 15k, but if not, then with proper taper for your marathon), you will be very capable of 7:15 PMP. :)

Those miles may have been hard, but they sure were fast (faster than your PMP). And speaking of those miles being hard - aren't they sort of supposed to be?? Yesterday, for instance, when I was running at my supposed 10k pace, there were moments I felt like I was dying out there...and I thought, this is only 10k pace....and for only 2 miles!!! :eek: And I immediately started to doubt myself and my ability and the reasonableness of my goals...and that's when I wondered about why these are hard - is it my ability or where I am in training? So, back to you - those miles were fast, and you were able to put three together, then two, then one.....and it was a training run on a Thursday after 9 miles on Wednesday, after 10+ miles on Tuesday, after 6 miles on Monday, and after spending $1k on your car....so, with all that in mind, I suspect when the time is right (maybe this weekend's 15k, but if not, then with proper taper for your marathon), you will be very capable of 7:15 PMP. :)

Oh ... but there is a big big difference between 10k and PMP miles - or there should be. 10k pace miles always hurt and that 2x210k session is never a bundle of laughs. MP miles on the other hand _should_ be easy enough even in the middle or training. It's important that PMP be realistic - otherwise things don't end well. The complete session is actually 5/4/3/2/1 with 1 mile recoveries and if I can't knock that out handily enough it suggests the PMP is over optimistic. We will see !

So you are doing/pacing Dublin ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Oh ... but there is a big big difference between 10k and PMP miles - or there should be. 10k pace miles always hurt and that 2x210k session is never a bundle of laughs. MP miles on the other hand _should_ be easy enough even in the middle or training. It's important that PMP be realistic - otherwise things don't end well. The complete session is actually 5/4/3/2/1 with 1 mile recoveries and if I can't knock that out handily enough it suggests the PMP is over optimistic. We will see !

I am pretty sure they are supposed to be 1 minute recoveries, otherwise you'd be knocking out 22+ miles (including warm up cool down) which is a bit of overkill considering it is a midweek session.

menoscemo wrote: »
    I am pretty sure they are supposed to be 1 minute recoveries, otherwise you'd be knocking out 22+ miles (including warm up cool down) which is a bit of overkill considering it is a midweek session.

Good point !! You made me go back and find the orignal post again ...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62736134&postcount=9

it's actually 2-3 minute recovery (1 minute seemed bit too hard). I think when I did this before I allowed mile recovery - but then I did this as my long run of the week (and I am a wuss!). The full session would be a bit much for me mid week.

You just prompted me to check McMillan training paces to compare 10k vs PMP to remind myself of their differences, and two things came to light - you are correct that the effort in the two is fairly big......and my 10k pace indicates I'm nowhere near where I should be if I want to run a 3:30 marathon in 17 weeks, but I'm right on target for my current and already existing PB. :rolleyes:

DCM....dirty rumors. But between you and me, it is something I would give serious consideration to if the chips fell in the right place. ;):)

You just prompted me to check McMillan training paces to compare 10k vs PMP to remind myself of their differences, and two things came to light - you are correct that the effort in the two is fairly big......and my 10k pace indicates I'm nowhere near where I should be if I want to run a 3:30 marathon in 17 weeks, but I'm right on target for my current and already existing PB. :rolleyes:

DCM....dirty rumors. But between you and me, it is something I would give serious consideration to if the chips fell in the right place. ;):)

How recent is your 10k pace ? You've not done any 10k specific training so I would not draw any conclusions from that. I like MacMillan as a hint to training paces - as a predictor of race results it is not much use. The fine print say something like "given the appropriate training". I'm the opposite - my marathon distance results never match results over shorter distances.

On Dublin - that's ok I won't tell :). It's a great race for crowd support.

Friday: 3 miles/grass. Pace: 8.50

A one day taper !

• Advertisement

How recent is your 10k pace ? You've not done any 10k specific training so I would not draw any conclusions from that. I like MacMillan as a hint to training paces - as a predictor of race results it is not much use. The fine print say something like "given the appropriate training". I'm the opposite - my marathon distance results never match results over shorter distances.

On Dublin - that's ok I won't tell :). It's a great race for crowd support.

Friday: 3 miles/grass. Pace: 8.50

A one day taper !

My last (and only) 10k race was over a year ago and my time was somewhere around 48 minutes. :( While I do believe I can probably run a 10k faster than that, I don't believe I can run a 10k at a 7:12 pace, which is the pace that McMillan suggests is what I should be able to run if I want to do a 3:30 marathon. Right now, I'm comfortable/confident with a 7:30 (maybe a 7:25 if I push it) 10k pace, but I doubt I've got much more than that in me. And no, I've never done any training for any distance other than marathon distance.

Best to you and Mrs. P this weekend!!! I'll be looking forward to your report. :)

(and yes, RIP Ravi)

My last (and only) 10k race was over a year ago and my time was somewhere around 48 minutes. :( While I do believe I can probably run a 10k faster than that, I don't believe I can run a 10k at a 7:12 pace, which is the pace that McMillan suggests is what I should be able to run if I want to do a 3:30 marathon. Right now, I'm comfortable/confident with a 7:30 (maybe a 7:25 if I push it) 10k pace, but I doubt I've got much more than that in me. And no, I've never done any training for any distance other than marathon distance.

Best to you and Mrs. P this weekend!!! I'll be looking forward to your report. :)

(and yes, RIP Ravi)

Well .... I find MacMillian pretty accurate up to HM distance and then it heads off into fiction ! Also - and it is worth repeating - remember the fine print "given the appropriate training". You have not done any training other than for marathon distance. I read somewhere recently a statement that the body forgets speed much sooner than endurance. The 10k is a tough distance - it's long enough that you do risk blowing up but short enough that you need to be working hard and yes, pushing it from the beginning. I had seemingly endless disappointing 10ks until I realised that I had to to risk blowing up in order to hit the kind of times I was hoping for. So with the focus on Boston I would not worry about the 10k time - but at the same time don't look for an equivalence between a 10k time and marathon. I think if you do decide to try a 10k - even off the back of marathon training - you might be in for a big suprise (no bears or picnics in this one).

Sooo.....how did the weekend go??

Well ... bit of a disconcerting weekend. I got back to Hoboken on Friday night to find the place swamped with tv news crews. The guy originally (mistakenly - it was his younger brother) named as the killer in the school shooting in Connecticut lives twelve blocks from our place. Brought it home with a vengence. More on this later***.

Saturday: Ted Corbitt 15k. 1.01.37 PB (13 miles total for the day).
    I was a bit nervous about this race. This was my first attempt any real pace in a race since injury. I was thinking that if I could just clock consistent sub7 miles I would be happy enough. One of Mrs P's club mates drove us to the race as public transport under the Hudson is still not restored. Got there nice and early and had plenty of time to warmup. Got about a mile warmup in followed by some strides.
    As ever in CP it is hard to pace evenly given the rolling hills. Tried to take it patiently for the first loop and not murder myself up the hills.
    But I must admit having seen a few splits I began to think about mile 6 that wheels might not come off and a PB might be on the cards. Cat Hill and the rolling hills that follow the 102nd St Transverse make it tough to time the "empty the tank" point so there might have been a little more in the tank.

Splits: 6.58/ 6.27/ 6.42/ 6.33/ 6.37/ 6.31/ 6.34/ 6.19/ 6.00(0.41miles)

Post race I started to jog north to do a few miles. A woman stopped me and asked me where the race finished. I looked at her blankly for several seconds wondering "wait I've just been there ... where the f** does it end ?" before the brain finally clicked into gear :o. Think I gave it all at then end !

I did a mile around the resevoir and then joined Mrs P (who was again having problems with EIA) for miles 8 & 9. She was happy enough despite this - she's consistent rather than competitive when it comes to running.

For me a 61 second and very unexpected PB (albeit only my second time at this distance). 6th in AG which is very pleasing (Top 10 in AG in NYRR races is one of my aims - and rare enough).

I ran this race in 1.02.38 late 2010 and pretty consistant with the marathon result so I'll take that as confirmation of where I am right now in terms of fitness. If I can continue to (re)build on this, train a little smarter focusing on my weaknesses, and avoid injury this time ... [deep breath]...I might be looking at a decent 2013.

P.S #1
    I'm really curious about why so few people run the tangents in CP. Makes it tough as you are constantly crossing in front of people when I do. Puzzling.

P.S #2
    Mary Wittenburg spoke before the race - and oh boy does she want to see the back of 2012! For what it is worth she said that NYRR was trying to get the whole 2012 marathon/guarenteed entry fiasco settled by "the end of the year". No other details.

Sunday: 5 miles recovery grass. Pace 9.14 HR 126
    No problem keeping this one slow ! Legs are tired but right calf if giving me some grief. I will try to schedule a massage to see if we work this out.

Off-topic:
    ***More .... so one more mass shooting. I am really so p**sed. Exactly what does it take to get guns off the street. Is there some magic number of people that have to die first ?

Saturday: Ted Corbitt 15k. 1.01.37 PB (13 miles total for the day).

Splits: 6.58/ 6.27/ 6.42/ 6.33/ 6.37/ 6.31/ 6.34/ 6.19/ 6.00(0.41miles)

:eek::eek::eek:
    Awesome job!!! You totally rock. :D So utterly delighted for you. You are going to blow this marathon out of the water! :)

And regarding the Newtown nightmare, my heart is weeping. Shouldn't we strive to live in a society that is peaceful where guns are not necessary? And don't give me that crap about arming ourselves against our government....or are they saying our elections don't mean anything (perhaps they don't like the results) and we aren't civilized/intelligent enough to reason with one another. Ahhhhhh.....don't get me started.....

But back to you....great job on your run!!! You are an inspiration. :D:)

^^^^ What she said:D
    Congratulations on a super race, you should be delighted with your progress and all signs point to you having numerous reasons for Paddy's day celebrations.

And with regard to Sandy Hook, heartbreaking doesn't begin to describe what has happened. The real heartbreak will be if (like all the other atrocities) no lessons are learned. A friend of mine has young children and she asked the 14 year old when she came home from school yesterday if she was upset and her daughter calmly told her that school massacres "happen all the time", while my friend is glad her daughter is not traumatised she is so upset that these tragedies have now become common place in the US. From this side of the pond it seems so simple; take away the guns.... but I'm sure it's not that simple and it's not as if Ireland can exactly dole out advice on how to cope with acts of violence. Whatever the future holds it is undeniably bleak for all those poor families involved

A friend of mine has young children and she asked the 14 year old when she came home from school yesterday if she was upset and her daughter calmly told her that school massacres "happen all the time", while my friend is glad her daughter is not traumatised she is so upset that these tragedies have now become common place in the US.....

That's a bit sad, but understandable. Hard enough to get your head around it as an adult.
    From this side of the pond it seems so simple; take away the guns.... but I'm sure it's not that simple ....

But that's a really really good start. However the news is reporting a run on semi-automatic weapons and cartridges ...:confused::eek::(

Anyway back to running ...

Monday: 6+ miles easy. Pace: 8.44
    A gentle jog up and down the Hudson river walk way. Yet another grey day.

Tuesday: 14 miles, 3+2+2 PMP miles. Pace: 7.55 HR: 141
    Warm morning ... but really I would like to see the sun again... sometime ? I was a bit undecided until the last minute what to do today. Woke up feeling like a cold is on the way, and the right calf is still tight - although better after I took some Valarien last night (works as a herbal muscle relaxant). With Saturday still in the legs I decided to try a PMP run. 3+2+2 with 1 mile recovery between each set (yes I am still cheating on the recovery!).

PMP miles | Time | HR
    1 | 7.13 | 142
    2 | 7.07 | 148
    3 | 7.08 | 151
    Rest | |
    1 | 7.02 | 147
    2 | 7.13 | 150
    Rest | |
    1 | 7.17 | 149
    2 | 7.05 | 152

Interesting. Still harder than I would hoped MP miles to be. The clue is the HR figure ... this really should be in the 140-145 range. At 150+ I am in trouble. So .... we continue to try.
    You are going to blow this marathon out of the water!

I was looking back at the the last time I ran the Corbitt 15k. It makes for an interesting comparison. That year I ran Dublin marathon in 3.23, a 10k in 41.47, the Corbitt in 1.02.38 ... then a HM in 1.29 on January, Barcelona in 3.15 off high mileage, and finally a sub40 10k. So now I am almost retracing these steps. A marathon in 3.22, the Corbitt in 1.01.37. I am running the same HM in early January and a 10k in late January. One big difference is the fact I was doing 7-10 PMP miles (~7.15) in my long runs already at this stage two years ago. So this time ... am I fated to follow the same path ... or can I train train smarter ?

So this time ... am I fated to follow the same path ... or can I train train smarter ?

Older equals wiser, right?? ;)

Older equals wiser, right?? ;)

Hummm .... little empirical evidence to back this up.

Well the rest of the week is pretty simple:

Wednesday: 3.5 miles, Pace: 8.56

Woke up feeling a bit off colour. Just a cold - so decided to keep this short. The session days are the priority ... right.

Thursday/Friday:
    Sick as a dog.

Saturday: 3 miles...
    Planned a track session. 2 miles warmup hinted that the lungs were not happy. The first two 200m reps confirmed it (even if the damned geese had not decided to occupy one end of the track). Freezing temperature and a gale off the river did not help.

pm: 60 mins stationary bike/30 min eliptical.

Sunday: 3 miles ....
    So maybe I could get a decent few miles in at an aerobic pace. Nope not that either.

Basically, lungs are completely shreded. Anything above a shuffle feels like someone taking sandpaper to my airways after a mile or two. Oddly after a week of virtual inactivity my knee is now bothering me again. Go figure.

Frustrated. Once again just as I think I am within distance of getting back to my best I get slapped down again.

• Advertisement

You and I must have similar bugs - I feel like death warmed over....except my head now feels like it could explode. Been feeling guilty that I've gotten no training in today (may try the trainer tonight), but for some reason reading your log has made me feel a little better. I guess misery does love company. I hope you feel better soon.

Advertisement