Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The end of the road (are we there yet?)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Monday: 90mins stationary bike.

Tuesday: 10 miles. Pace 7.54 HR: 161(?)

We were supposed to be voluntering at a Christmas dinner serving this morning. But in my state of health serving food seemed like a spectacularly bad idea. So while Mrs P did the good deed .... I spluttered (literallly) my way around a few loops of the park. Cold ... very very cold ! Not much fun but at least it got done - my first decent run in a week,

Wednesday: 10 miles.

Plan : 4x(200m w/200recovery + 200m w 400/recovery + 800m w/400 recovery)

With snow on the way I was desperate to at least attempt this session. A little ice on track focused attention. The 800m times were a bit off what I would like to see but allowing for my current state of health (getting better) and a lot of wine last night ... not too bad.

Reps | 200m | 200m | 800m
    1 | 41 | 44 | 2:59
    2 | 44 | 44 | 3:00
    3 | 44 | 43 | 3:02
    4 | 44 | ?? | 3:01

Hopefully we are back on the road. I did ask Santy if I could have 12 months healthy training ... not sure if I have been good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Happy New Year!!!! My fingers are crossed for you to have the absolute best year ever!! Unless something out of your control happens, I'm betting 2013 will be very good to you. :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Happy New Year!!!! My fingers are crossed for you to have the absolute best year ever!! Unless something out of your control happens, I'm betting 2013 will be very good to you. :)

Happy New Year ! Just back home after a really nice New Year trip. Yes. let's hope we all get a successtul New Year. (Unfortunately I am not off to a great start as my allergies have kicked in with a vengence :()

Friday: 4.5 miles Pace: 9.06
    An easy run before the trip to the Cape.

Saturday: 13+ miles. Pace: 7:45
    A return to one of my favorite routes largely along a bike path that rolls up and down the dunes of an ocean park out to a small airport. This is a tougher route than the Garmin suggests. Last year I managed to injury my knee on this route so this time I tried to take it easy - especially on the down hills. Lungs are still a bit rattlely but getting better,
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/257274628

Sunday: 11 miles. Pace: 8.40
    It had snowed over night, and the temperature has dropped to well below freezing. There was a W->E wind off the ocean that combined with back ice made my favorite route impractical. So I took an alternatve route back through town along the coast down to the next town. Only when I turned around did I realise that I was now heading back into a fierce head wind. I had to periodically hop out of the road and wait for traffic to pass so the actual pace was a bit faster.
    Messed up the garmin so I lost about 1.5 miles
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/257274603

Monday: 12 miles, Pace: 8:22
    A little warmer ... but not much.
    Again had to take the town route. As with yesterday the first first five miles were with the wind, the last 6 were against ...
    Again lost a mile on the Garmin.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/257274582

Tuesday: 4.5 miles, Pace: 8:56
    An easy run before the trip back to NJ. Could hardly move for runners. Lots of new year resolutions out there.

Wednesday: 9 miles
    3X2 @ tempo (target Pace 6:30)
    It's been so long since I attempted a session that despite cold and windy conditions, I decided to try to resume the 10k training program. It was pretty clear as soon as I started that I was not going to be able to hit the target pace ... so again this became another "do the best you can" session. Bit disappointing but so it goes.
    Pace for each two miles:
    1. 6:39, 6:40
    2. 6.39, 6.42
    3. 6:48, 6:49

Well that was pretty poor ! Does not bode well for this weekends 10k.
    PM: Swim. Unfortunately yet another allergy attack has absolutely floored me. A swim provided only temporary relief. Really, really frustrated at this stage. Not sure if or when I will be able to get any consistent quality training in. But I can only keep trying.

So post the holidays I have a few problems .... weight has gone back to 146lbs and I have definately lost some fitness. I was a bit lax with diet/late nights and alcohol over the New Year but not drastically, so some of this is probably the residual effect of being sick before Christmas. With 10 weeks to LA, this is less than ideal. But those are the cards dealt so I have to get on with it

However .... I have signed up for a marathon in Vermont at the end of May. So this is my back up race if I cannot get the work in before March.

So happy New Year to all ! Let's hope that this is the year of healty, happy, PB lowering, spirit raising running.

Thursday: took a rest day with a core session late in the day.

Friday: 8 miles w/8x100m strides: Pace: 8:08

Warmed up a smidgen. Resonably gentle run ... starting to feel a bit better. Have not identified what caused the allergy attack two days ago, but we suspect it was something I ate.

I was listening to a new running podcast. Not much of interest ... except this new running term:

To be "fogey-ed": Overtaken in a race by someone old enough to be your parent ! (A bit like "chicked") As an old fogey myself, I love this ! My plan s to "fogey" the c**p out of everyone I can this year.

Two things - glad you're feeling better (if it was something you ate, then I hope you figure out what it was :eek:).....and, fogey-ed??!! Oh my, I'm afraid that might apply to me as well. :( At least I'm in good company. ;):)

• Advertisement

Two things - glad you're feeling better (if it was something you ate, then I hope you figure out what it was :eek:).....and, fogey-ed??!! Oh my, I'm afraid that might apply to me as well. :( At least I'm in good company. ;):)

I think the problem before the holidays might also have been allergy related. Going to keep a food diary. Not sure but peanuts are a suspect.

Fogey with pride :). Today two 13 year olds ran a 37.xx 10k. It's been suggested that I was "cherubed" !!

Up at 4.30am :eek: as publlc transport is still being repaired at the weekend. Cold, but the wind had died down. Training did not suggest that sub40 on the cards, but I decided to see how close I could get (I was thinking it 40.xx).

Mile 1 and 3 were Cat Hill and Harlem Hill respectively. Mile 2 the only flat mile. I though I had blown it on mile 4 on the rolling hills on the west side of Central Park (especially as the Lap Pace dropped to 6:40 at one stage). At mile 5 the clock showed 32.0x and I began to think about sub40, at mile 6 the clock showed 38.2x. Looking that the split for the final .26 I guess I really wanted it. Funnily enough I tried to kick when the finishing line came into view but it seemed like there was no response. I could not make out the time on the clock and was pretty pleased to see it showing 39.3x.

Splits: 6:34, 6.16, 6.28, 6.33, 6.18, 6.15, 5.39 (.26)

A good day at the office. A few seconds off my PB but on a tougher course.

Time to start building endurance.

Woo hoo!!! I'd say you had a very good day at the office! :)

As a PS to the Kleinermen: 12 miles for the day (3w/u + 10k + 3w/d)

Sunday: 8 miles, Pace: 8:11 HR 141

Legs were a bit tired but ok.

Monday: 6 miles, recovery mainly grass. Pace: 9:29 HR: 140 (?)

HR reading is dubious. Hopefully the creaking I heard was the from the door as slow twitch muscles came out to play (rather than complaining joints).

PM: Swim

Tuesday: 10 miles w/5 @MP + 1 @tempo

Mishap meant no access to my plan so this was improvised.
    MP Miles (7:15): 7:27:(, 7:07, 7:03, 7:11, 7:13 Tempo (6:40): 6:24

Poor pacing all around but by the end of the MP miles I had settled into a rythem. During this run I started to notice a pain in the top of my foot.

PM: Swim + Core

Wednesday: 7 miles easy, grass, Pace: 8:52

Had warmed up a bit, so extended my recovery run a bit. Foot is still a problem but ok if I stick to grass.

pm: Swim

Thursday: ...... baah ! 1 hour bike.

Pain on the top of the foot led me to abandon this run within the first 1/4 mile. Not happy. I'll give it a day off and see what happens but I'm worried this seems a bit like a possible stress fracture.

Walked back home and tried to repro my Daniels session :6 x (5min @MP + 1min @tempo) on the bike.

Running is now suspended indefinately ... fingers crossed that this is day(s). I don't know if I have the resolve to come back from yet another lay off - nor do I have any more ideas of how to stay healthy. But for the moment let's stay positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

pgmcpq wrote: »
    As a PS to the Kleinermen: 12 miles for the day (3w/u + 10k + 3w/d)

Sunday: 8 miles, Pace: 8:11 HR 141

Legs were a bit tired but ok.

Monday: 6 miles, recovery mainly grass. Pace: 9:29 HR: 140 (?)

HR reading is dubious. Hopefully the creaking I heard was the from the door as slow twitch muscles came out to play (rather than complaining joints).

PM: Swim

Tuesday: 10 miles w/5 @MP + 1 @tempo

Mishap meant no access to my plan so this was improvised.
    MP Miles (7:15): 7:27:(, 7:07, 7:03, 7:11, 7:13 Tempo (6:40): 6:24

Poor pacing all around but by the end of the MP miles I had settled into a rythem. During this run I started to notice a pain in the top of my foot.

PM: Swim + Core

Wednesday: 7 miles easy, grass, Pace: 8:52

Had warmed up a bit, so extended my recovery run a bit. Foot is still a problem but ok if I stick to grass.

pm: Swim

Thursday: ...... baah ! 1 hour bike.

Pain on the top of the foot led me to abandon this run within the first 1/4 mile. Not happy. I'll give it a day off and see what happens but I'm worried this seems a bit like a possible stress fracture.

Walked back home and tried to repro my Daniels session :6 x (5min @MP + 1min @tempo) on the bike.

Running is now suspended indefinately ... fingers crossed that this is day(s). I don't know if I have the resolve to come back from yet another lay off - nor do I have any more ideas of how to stay healthy. But for the moment let's stay positive.

Fingers and toes (sorry ;)) crossed for you.
    I know exactly how you feel... Every niggle is a huge worry when the memory of a running layoff is still fresh in your mind. The other side of that coin is that I also feel that if I do get unlucky again I know I have the ability to heal and make a comeback. Well done for taking the sensible option and taking a break but at the same time make sure to keep positive, this is probably just a minor hiccup.

My favourite quote for injury worries....

Strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will

Gandhi

• Advertisement

^^^What she said!! ;)

If I didn't have only two hours to get packed and do all my last minute chores before I have to hit the hay so I am reasonably fresh to drive 2 hours to the airport for my godawful early plane flight to paradise in the morning, I'd give you a proper pep talk about your foot and your resolve. Here's the condensed version: you have the resolve, you will heal, you will figure it out, and you will do Boston at some point before you assume room temperature. <smakcks P on the @ss and sends him on his way> :)

Marthastew wrote: »
    Fingers and toes (sorry ) crossed for you.

I know exactly how you feel... Every niggle is a huge worry when the memory of a running layoff is still fresh in your mind. The other side of that coin is that I also feel that if I do get unlucky again I know I have the ability to heal and make a comeback. Well done for taking the sensible option and taking a break but at the same time make sure to keep positive, this is probably just a minor hiccup.
    My favourite quote for injury worries....

Strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will

Gandhi
    Hopefully minor ... but after losing 18 months, the prospect of another layoff and recovery .... But again hopefully it is simply bruising.
    ^^^What she said!!

If I didn't have only two hours to get packed and do all my last minute chores before I have to hit the hay so I am reasonably fresh to drive 2 hours to the airport for my godawful early plane flight to paradise in the morning, I'd give you a proper pep talk about your foot and your resolve. Here's the condensed version: you have the resolve, you will heal, you will figure it out, and you will do Boston at some point before you assume room temperature. <smakcks P on the @ss and sends him on his way>

Eh ..... right .....eh ..... thanks ...**walks off slightly bewildered rubbing his ass**.

Friday: 1.25 hours stationary bike.

My god - this is excruciatingly dull .......

Just popped in to say Hi and see how you're doing...
    Keeping fingers and toes crossed for you:)

Me too!! You've been on my mind....you were even with me in Disney! ;)

Just popped in to say Hi and see how you're doing...

Keeping fingers and toes crossed for you

Well ... it looks like tendonitis (self diagnosis). I have been cross training bike/swim/eliptical ... I have discovered that RTE player now works outside Ireland so I have been cycling to the Frontline/Six O'clock news. I tried a run on Sunday but felt the foot after 4 miles, tried again today and cut it at less than 3. I'm not sure where this leaves me - try to run through it, continue what I am doing or just shut it all down again. LA is probably a bust for me, but I will go out to support Mrs P and the others. Considering cancelling Vermont but have not made the call yet. Poor Mrs P gets the moaning !

So now I am getting my fix on your log among others !
    Me too!! You've been on my mind....you were even with me in Disney!

Hey you ... where our race report + photos ....**drums fingers impatiently**

Race report is still being worked on - I'm up to mile 23 of the marathon and still have so much more to go! UGH!!! At this point, I'm even boring myself with the drivel...but I will trudge forward and have it completed this weekend. Promise. :)

But more importantly...you....I hate to hear that LA may be binned, but as you know, it's all about longterm health and goals so trust your gut and do what's best. When is Vermont?

Race report is still being worked on - I'm up to mile 23 of the marathon and still have so much more to go! UGH!!! At this point, I'm even boring myself with the drivel...but I will trudge forward and have it completed this weekend. Promise. :)

I've cleared my diary for Monday :):).

How's the foot?? What are the race plans??

How's the foot?? What are the race plans??

Well for "This little piggy" sessions it's great - for running ... not so much :). Did 5 miles before starting to feel it last Monday, other than that bike/swim/eliptical - ice,heat. Hoping to keep some fitness ticking over.

Plan ? One day at a time for the moment. Missing the Manhattan HM this weekend -for the second year running :(. We are going to LA anyway so ... no matter what I say now, it will be a game day decision. Sadly it is no longer a target race in any event. I have time before I have to pull the plug on Vermont.

I will send good foot mojo your way in hopes that this little piggy can go wee, wee, wee all the way to the finish of a marathon. Mind the foot....and make smart decisions (which I know you will). The bike/swim/elliptical will serve you well in the meantime. :)

• Advertisement

Paddy's Day is fast approaching and I'm wondering what your plans are for your trip to Lalaland? I really hope that whatever the plans are you are happy (or as happy as one can be with an injury):)

Paddy's Day is fast approaching and I'm wondering what your plans are for your trip to Lalaland? I really hope that whatever the plans are you are happy (or as happy as one can be with an injury):)

Log update : frying pan ----> fire :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:...*sigh*. ***Whine fest alert***

Short version: I got past the foot tendonitis (still feel it a bit) - ok.. so some longer mileage in and maybe I could get around LA. Five days training (nothing beyond MP pace) and ... lower leg injury :( ( sharpe pain outside below the knee when the weight is on the leg - steps, running).

LA is another bust but I will go and try to paint on a smile and cheer on Mrs P and the others. Kind of wish we were going for longer to make the trip worthwhile for me. I cancelled the Vermont hotel ... to give me a marvellously consistant record of 4 DNSs from my last 5 (scheduled) marathons !

Happy is a bit of a stretch right now .. but I'll get over it :) !

But on a happier note: congrats on the 50k ! Great report - loved the toughing it out over the last k

EDIT Ooooooh : Just seen the 50k reports from the links that meno posted. Very cool !

Holy Merde, that is some frying pan you are in:( I'm usually able to put a positive spin on things but I won't even try here, 4 DNSs is a very bitter pill to have to swallow:eek:
    I will get my Auntie May on the case with a novena and I'll chase a few magpies for you;)

Seriously though, I am really sorry and you have every right to be pi**ed off. And that was not a Whine fest, feel free to whine and rant, we're here to listen and sympathise:)

Holy Merde, that is some frying pan you are in:( I'm usually able to put a positive spin on things but I won't even try here, 4 DNSs is a very bitter pill to have to swallow:eek:
    I will get my Auntie May on the case with a novena and I'll chase a few magpies for you;)

Seriously though, I am really sorry and you have every right to be pi**ed off. And that was not a Whine fest, feel free to whine and rant, we're here to listen and sympathise:)

Thanks for that ! ... but a little less whining and more running is called for :).

Logic suggests that there must be a cause this series of problems ... reading your log recently gave me an idea. Recovering from the hip problem I noticed that my stretching routine aggravated the hip .... so I stopped stretching post run .... and I am wondering if this might be leading the the recent problems ??? Somehow I need to figure this out.

I'm mojo-challanged and it has been pretty cold here ... but might try a short run in the next few days ... get back to the pool ...

**Sisyphus rolls up his sleeves ....**

Boo. I hate that you are injured. :( But, enjoy being part of the pit crew for the other runners in LA. Chin up....and hit that indoor pool and embrace your inner Michael Phelps!! :)

... enjoy being part of the pit crew for the other runners in LA... :)

Always the bridesmaid ....:rolleyes: !

Happy Saint Patrick's Day:D:D:D
    I'm hoping you've had a miraculous recovery and are running a marathon today. if you're not I hope you have a great time in Lalaland:) and that Mrs P does herself proud

Happy Saint Patrick's Day:D:D:D
    I'm hoping you've had a miraculous recovery and are running a marathon today. if you're not I hope you have a great time in Lalaland:) and that Mrs P does herself proud

It's 4am and Mrs P is just getting ready - oatmeal with water from the hotel coffee maker. Hotel is very Blade-Runner esque. I have gallently taken the bed lit up the massive 25 story illuminated advertisement outside. I think I will be dreaming of a 100 foot tall hand coming towards me for months. I have passed on your best wishes.

The BIL has gone the leprechan route and bought a shirt for each of us. Mine - in a sign of the times never showed up. Modelled by Mrs P:

picture.php?albumid=1336&pictureid=14767

picture.php?albumid=1336&pictureid=14768

^^^^ That is awesome!! Hope all went well for your lovely wife....and Happy St. Patrick's Day to you and yours. :)

• Advertisement

If one is awesome ... what is a threesome !

picture.php?albumid=1336&pictureid=14769

Advertisement