Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The end of the road (are we there yet?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Friday: Woke still struggling with a worsening head cold so took a rest day
    Saturday: 10 miles. Still feeling poor. Diddered around until 3pm to head out - panicked by the notion of a complete write off of a week. This put me put running at the warmest point in the day. All in all a tough run with a few faster (~HMP) miles thrown in. Not really able to generate much of a "spark" at all.

28 scappy ugly miles this week: My lowest total so far this year by some distance.

Garmin HRM Question : One reason for this run was to try out my new Garmin 305 with the HRM. Just charged it and put it on so the data is not real useful ... but one immediate problem was emerged. It left a small irritated blob in the middle of my chest - right on the bottom of my breat plate where I centered the HM itself. Any suggestions on this - should it be off to the side ?

A few of the characters I remember from last summer have no reappeared on my running route. On guy in particular - an older Asian man who walks with a cane has reappeared. Last summer as I was running past him and someone, probably his wife, he turned and at the top of his lungs screamed (as it seemd to me) "HI". I must have lept several feet in the air and then braced for the assault that seemed likely to follow - assuming that I had somehow gravely insulted his wife and that "HI" was a dire warning. By the time my heart rate had returned to simply evelated he had returned to his walk. Ten minutes later I passed him again....same thing..... next time... same thing ..... next time -I detoured and started to avoid him. Saturday I met him again - for the first time since last summer. Once again I got a loud, truely blood curdling greeting. I don't know if he reserves this for me but while I hate to seem unfriendly it is stressful running aware you could be mugged by an agressive greeting at every turn.

Some bakground. This is another long running running event named for a one of well known NJ masters running couple (one of whom may travel to Dublin with us in October) who were long time friends of my inlaws. Also a favorite event of my late father-in-law - a great guy. So there were a few reasons why this run was on the schedule - even though it was the fourth race in May (marathon/5mile/halk-marathon).

Going into it my 10kpb seemed a soft target - but I have been stuggling with what I am staring to think may be more than ahead cold for the last week. Nothing seems to shift it or even improve it substantially. Still on the day I was not feeing too bad so I was hopeful of breaking 42:00 on what is a flat course.

I misjudged the time to the start which left me late and in what proved to be a horrible starting position. Didn't seem that bad initially, but as soon as we started we immediately stopped and began a "stutter step" pace. On the disco floor in the late 70s I would have been a hit. My first mile took 7:47 minutes. Subsequent miles dropped below 7m/m but it was not until mile 4 that I registered my first 6:4x mile. Having said that I did think that from mile 3 onwards I was working hard enough to be making up ground. Uniquely I ended up passing three of the wheelchair atheletes who had started a few minutes earlier.

Now one thing I changed before this run was to change the Garmin to show Lap Pace rather than Pace since I had never been confident about how reliable Pace was. On the basis of this experience I will probably change back - at least until I try it out more in training. My impression was that after the first mile I was clocking off consistant 6:40-6:45 miles. The splits say very differently (including 7:17m/m for the last 0.2 miles when I thought I was emptying the tank).

I also screwed up big time beacasue I it seems I missed two of the three water tables. Bizzare because I was actively looking got them - but Mrs P tells me they were there. By mile 4 the temperature had mit the mid 80s and it was getting to me.

It is a PB (and I am taking the chip time!), but I am a bit disappointed as I had hoped - maybe even expected to do better, especially after recent results. Cracking the top 10 in my AG is my usual criteria - but here I was not even close ! Strange because I felt my race "deserved" better but the results did not bear this out. Not sure if it was my "cold" -now suspected to be something else, the heat, my lack of training this week or conversely simply one race too many.

An interesting month - my A races were disappointing my B races went well !

Place Time Pace Gender Age Group Chip Time
    115. 43:11.94 6:57 99/726 M45-49:19/118 42:50.94

115. 46 M 43:11.94 6:5726 M45-49:19/118 68.85 42:50.94

Wednesday: 11 Miles. Hot humid muggy morning even at 6.30am. Bad memories of May2 kept popping into my head :( ! I already can see that pushing mid week mileage higher is going to be a problem. I need to start planning for a quicker morning exit if I am going to hit the 15mile the P&D plans call for.
    Thurdsay: 6 miles recovery. Still too fast ... but better. Was meant to be 5 mileds but left myself too far from my water so ran back and "rounded" up. Still struggling with this stupid virus - I can feel my breathing is more labored that it should be - but it does seem to be improving.

Ok ....time for a checkpoint.

First photos from recent races are available
    http://www.brightroom.com/view_user_event.asp?EVENTID=61711&BIB=2638&S=230&PWD=
    http://www.backprint.com/view_user_event.asp?PID=bp%18%7CD&EVENTID=63540&BIB=1869&S=230&PWD=
    One thing that strikes me immediately is that my form seems to have deteriorated. I'm back to landing on my heel, well in front of my hips. This really is an issue of loss of concentration.

This week my focus starts on training for DCM. I joined the DCM improvers thread (thx Reb, Krusty, RQ for all the info), got my copy of P&D "Advanced Marathoning", upgraded to a Garmin 305 with a heart monitor. Need to do a hills session and find my max heart rate. Struggling a bit with the "General Aeobic" run in the the P&D book. Seems to be slower than the recovery run - which I struggle to keep on pace even now.

Probably unwisely I am looking at using the the 55-70 mile per week plan. In part because at peek last time around I was hitting 60mpw and I had planned to push this a bit futher out.. not sure if this is a good idea but the prospect of putting another spread training spreadsheet together means I will start with it:D - for now. However, I will dip back to the <=55mpw plan to fit my schedule. Since the plans follow the same structure, if I keep the training elements in proportion, this seems reasonable.

Things I need to work on : The big one is keeping recovery runs slow. To be honest running as slow as suggested seems "uncomfortable" to me - probably just unfamiliar.

I'm also going to start keeping track of the training a bit more systematically. So for week 1 so far :

Week|PlanWeek|M|T|W|T|F|Sat|Sun|Total
    21| P&D 17 | rest | LT9 | 11LR | 5R | A9 | 5R | 15LR | 54
    21| MyPlan | 10k race | rest | 11LR | 5R | A9 | 12LR* | 5R | 48
    21| Actual | 10k (42:50)| rest | 11LR (8:20)| 6R | | | |

*from P&D <=55

Finally - I am getting away the weekend - woohoo :cool: (running gear packed !!).

Good luck to everyone running Cork !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Best of luck with the plan. I have just delcared that I have started it as well (the 55 mpw one). I'll be keeping an eye on your log, feel free to pop int mine.
    I have never done a Max HR test but given that my 5k race HR is 170-175ish and this should be VO2 max (93-95%) I am estimating mine is 184 and working the zones out from there. I think 182 is the max I have ever hit in a race so I think 184 is about right. I reckon it would be near on impossible to get an accurate Max HR runnin uphills and you always push harder in race scenarios..

I hear what you are saying about keeping the Aerobic/ recovery runs sufficiently slow, I have only just been getting used to doing this over the last month or two but it really makes running so much more enjoyable when you are ambling around at 9min/mile pace, but yeah, it would make sense to do Aerobic rus slightly quicker than Recovery runs.

menoscemo wrote: »

I had just read thos on you log and was laughing at the coincidence when I saw your update here. Virtual high five there !
    I have never done a Max HR test but given that my 5k race HR is 170-175ish and this should be VO2 max (93-95%) I am estimating mine is 184 and working the zones out from there. I think 182 is the max I have ever hit in a race so I think 184 is about right. I reckon it would be near on impossible to get an accurate Max HR runnin uphills and you always push harder in race scenarios..

You're right that having a history of data is ideal but I need a place to start. Tbh, I didn't really understand what they were for until a comment on Krusty's log. There's a hill workout on p18 of P&D that kind of works for me - if I could find a 600meter hill - possibly a thread mill job. I'll have to see how working with HR works for me. Thing is there is a line in the book that says

"On a high humidity day in the 80s (high 20s to low 30s) jsut take it easy" (p.19)

Living here, if I follow this advice I would have to quit outdoor training until October :D!
    I hear what you are saying about keeping the Aerobic/ recovery runs sufficiently slow, I have only just been getting used to doing this over the last month or two but it really makes running so much more enjoyable when you are ambling around at 9min/mile pace, but yeah, it would make sense to do Aerobic rus slightly quicker than Recovery runs.

Ahhh, thank you. You made me go back and look at the book again. I think I have been confusing myself a bit. Not sure where I got my idea on the relative GA pace and Recovery pace. To be honest I'm using McMillan's "Easy Run" pace as my guide for GA pace - at least until I have some notion of HR.

But I really find the slow pace a problem I just cannot get into any kind of rythm with it ... I've begun to wonder if this is simply a matter of lack of practice.

• Advertisement

pgmcpq wrote: »
    But I really find the slow pace a problem I just cannot get into any kind of rythm with it ... I've begun to wonder if this is simply a matter of lack of practice.

I just like to listen to the radio and let my mind drift to anything but running. I think it is called 'disassociative running' when you are not worried about pace or distance but are thinking about other things. No goals, just go out for a jog.

When you start finding your pace by HR readings you will find yourself constantly slowing yourself down as you HR spikes above the ideal, but after a while you will find your rythm. FWIW my 5k pace is about 6:30/mile (10k about 6:50) and I find anything above 9 min/mile about right for recovery and 8:30+ is good for general aerobic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

It is a PB (and I am taking the chip time!).....

Congrats on the PB. I think aswell that if you got a clear start, you could well go under the 42 min mark. good work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Well done on the PB, running on the other side of the Atlantic seems much tougher given the heat and the mugginess. Anything over 20 celsius and I begin to melt! Interesting observation on changing your Garmin setup from pace to lap pace. I did something similar for my LSR two weeks ago, changing from pace to average pace (I'm crap at keeping an even pace so I rely hugely on US military satellite technology to keep me running at a steady clip :)). Anyway, the end result was that I looked less at the watch during the run (good) but started out too quick and then ran each lap progressively slower (bad), needing to up the pace at about 11 miles so that I could make my prescribed pace (worse). Anyway, I switched the setting back to pace and seem destined to continue glancing at the Garmin every 20 seconds from here to eternity :rolleyes:.

Killerz wrote: »
    Congrats on the PB. I think aswell that if you got a clear start, you could well go under the 42 min mark. good work
    ronanmac wrote: »
    Well done on the PB, running on the other side of the Atlantic seems much tougher given the heat and the mugginess. Anything over 20 celsius and I begin to melt!

Having read about the conditons in Cork today I should (but won't:o) stop complaining about the weather. I'm sure in Dublin I'll be complaining that I couldn't loosen in in the cold ! I'm starting to remind myself of the irish football team in the 1970s - always came back from Eastern Europe witha story of noble failure !!! That 10k time is one a few outliers I need to fix ...
    Interesting observation on changing your Garmin setup from pace to lap pace. ..... I...seem destined to continue glancing at the Garmin every 20 seconds from here to eternity .

Not sure about this - have switched back and forth since writing this. After converstaions over the weekend with a former coach I'm beginning to think that solution is really to train by heart rate.

Friday: 12 Miles : Moved the long run back to Friday to free up the weekend schedule a bit. Did the shorter 12 mile from the <55 plan rather than 15 miles because a) it was damn hot and b) I had six hours of driving ahead !

Saturday: 11 miles. Arrived on the furthest part of Cape Cod on Friday night. Love this part of the world. Up for a planned 9 miles "general aerobic" run. Figured to make it 10, five miles out into roads/trails through the the sand dunes and then turn around. Cool slightly humid morning, no traffic at 8am basically 60 miles out into the Atlantic. At five miles out of town with nothing around but the open road and sand dunes ... eh....wait ... thunder ? No..yes...rain ... oh, damn ... torrential rain - damn nothing to do but wade through it - ankle deep - ... finally easing up, good ... ouch ! Agggh ... hail ! Bleeding hell strip lightening over to the left. Screw pace - back to town and step on it ! C*p - were these hills (now white water rapids) here when I was coming through ..... Back to town - finally - 9 miles - wait - who is that crazy woman - oh hello Mrs P ! What ... you want to finish off five miles ? You've noticed the weather I assume ... well... yes I am wet anyway .... well ... you'll buy me breakfast ....oh, ok. So 11 miles at average pace of 8:11 - way too fast but I'm giving myself a break this time !

Sunday: 5 miles recovery @9:00mm. Still too fast but much much better than previous efforts. This time running through the dunes was great. (Six miles drive back to NJ, followed by 40 minutes stretching)

First week following a P&D schedule. To keep myself honest at least until I get some feel for the HRM I am going to try to keep the following tables updated.

Week|PlanWeek|M|T|W|T|F|Sat|Sun|Total
    21| P&D 17 | rest | LT9 | 11LR | 5R | A9 | 5R | 15LR | 54
    21| MyPlan | 10k race | rest | 11LR | 5R | A9 | 12LR* | 5R | 48
    21| Actual | 10k (42:50) | rest | 11LR (@8:20)| 6R | 12LR (@8:32) | A11(@8:11) | 5R(@9:00) | 51
    |HR(Avg/Max)| | | | | 139/153 | 127/149 | 121/129 |
    | Weather | | | | | Warm 85f | Stormy ! Cool 60s?| Cool |
    | Comments | | | | | | Too fast | Too fast/hlly |

*from P&D <=55
    **adjusted for schedule

My attempt to be honest about the type pace I ran as against what was planned.
    Week| plan | VO2(5k)| LT(HMP) | L/MR(MP) | GA | Recovery | Junk |Total
    17 |P&D | | 9(4) | 26 | 9 | 10 | | 54
    17 |Actual| | 6(6) | 34 | 0 | 11 | | 51

• Advertisement

P&D 55-70 Week2:
    Monday: 8 miles with 10*100m. Back home. As per the plan Monday is a rest day but again this week I need to rejiggle the schedule again. Nice cool morning - actually was cold when I stepped out the door this morning. Five miles at 8:41 pace - a little too fast (8:49-9:35 is my appropriate "general aerobic" pace as per my calculation). At mile 5.5 I began the 100m strides. To do this I went to the running track and used the straights as the 100m and the curves as the recovery period. Don't think I was successful in focusing on "running form" - 100m is a very short distance for my "slow twitch" brain to focus on anything. Need to work harder/smarter. Final average pace was 8:11mm.

Which leads me to an interesting observation - on my new Garmin305 the average pace for a run seems very suspect. My 11 miles on Saturday was an example where the the average pace seemed much slower than the pace I got if I calcuated from the figures for each individual lap (mile.) I never saw this with my old 205.

Second observation: curiously I have gained about 7lbs in the last month. Hopefully this is all leg muscle :D. Did let loose a little after the marathon ... but this seems excessive. Still unless it continues I'm not concerned.

Tuesday: 12 miles - 8:11m/m HR avg/max 136/144. Just about slow enough (8:08-9:08 is the range I am trying to hit). No real idea on HR yet - might try to max out the HR on a bike this evening. Another great morning for running. Earlier start than my usual - out by 6.45am. Really surprised by how many people were out and about. Felt pretty good - a little heavy in the legs but nothing serious - picked up the pace for the last couple of miles.
    Came across three guys who seemed to be doing a serious session - if I see them again I will introduce myself - my old morning running buddies have moved away and some compatible paced company would be good. (Mrs P is a Galloway runner so we don't train together ).

Finished, stretched, got back home ...to find that the plumber had arrived early, shut off and drained the hot water heater. Mrs P: "Ooops .... forgot about you". Thank you dear. Cold sink cleanup and on to work where I sit right now. My colleagues are very polite but noticeably .... eh ...distant today.

As it's is going to return to the 90s on Sunday I am going to shuffle the runs up so I can do the long run (16 w/8 at PMP) on Saturday and a recovery on Sunday.

Reading all these sub3 logs from Cork is amazing - though leaves me feeling very inadequate. I have decided to try to aim for 3:15-3:20 in Dublin so PMP is around 7:35 - unless that proves too much.

Wednesday: 5 miles recovery (3 miles on grass). 8:54m/m - still TOO DAMN FAST supposed to be (9:08-9:38) ... but I am improving on this I think. Another great cool morning - long may it last. Stupid bloody golfer starting hitting irons across the playing fields I was running on. I diverted behind him to which he took exception. I was tempted to go back and perform my own "top kill" procedure on his leaking brain with his damn golf balls but was close to finishing so wisdom prevailed.
    Back home to .... hey......hot water and a shower. As good as it gets !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

If you find that the aerobic pace miles are too slow to be comfortable, then run them faster, as long as they still feel comfortable, your HR is in the right approximate zone (i.e. your HR isn't running too high) and it doesn't affect your other runs during the week. I don't think you can follow P&D down to the dotted line. Some kind of interpretation is sensible.

Did you make sure that your 305 has all the latest system updates? Might resolve some of the pace problems.

Did you make sure that your 305 has all the latest system updates? Might resolve some of the pace problems.

System updates ? Ehhh ... probably not I just pulled if from the box strapped it on and went :o. Thanks - I'll look at that - I was wondering cause the 205 and Mrs P's 201 never made me look twice.
    If you find that the aerobic pace miles are too slow to be comfortable, then run them faster, as long as they still feel comfortable, your HR is in the right approximate zone (i.e. your HR isn't running too high) and it doesn't affect your other runs during the week. I don't think you can follow P&D down to the dotted line. Some kind of interpretation is sensible.

Haven't really got the HRM "baselines" set up yet. Waiting for a chance to get in a few hills.

I think I still have to slow down - it a consistent "mismatch" no matter what plan/pace guide I look at not just P&D. I am not finding it comfortable but that may be lack of practice ? I suspect a "low gear" would have been helpful to getting me restarted once I ran into trouble on the last marathon - and I have read it is useful to "reinforce" correct mechanics. So I'll continue to try. ( I suggested to Mrs P that I run with her but the idea the I would use her to pace my slow run met a "chilly" reception )

Wednesday pm: Core followed by 30 minutes on the bike. This was a cheap attempt to see if I could drive my hear rate up. No dice - peaked at 111.

Thursday: 9 miles. "General Aerobic" run. Average pace 8:57m/m. Another cool morning - keep them coming.

The right pace range this time. Small cheat as I got stopped at mile 7 by the park guys wanting to know if I had seen one of their trucks on my run at the far end of the park :confused: ( which makes me wonder a bit ... but heck who hasn't lost a truck or two ). Anyway even with this I'm still in the GA range.
    Had a bit of an episode with a dog (definitely not playing) whose owner was only barely able to yank him back. Scared the bejasus out of me. Curious to see how this effected HR but it does not seem to have had any real effect.

Friday: 5 miles recovery (3 on grass). Average pace 9:18, hr avg 126/max 139.
    Another morning built for running. Happy to be finally hitting a more appropriate pace (subject to the rider that average pace may be a little flaky until I get the update done to the Garmin. I was finished up by cutting diagonally across the playing fields and met a front loader being driven in the opposite direction flying an Irish tricolour.

After the run things got interesting. I was stretching when a guy came over and started talking to me. He was a runner himself and had won the 75-79 age group in all five of NYRR half marathon series (the same series I am running this year) back in 2007. Still running and still winning/placing in AG with times that are not shabby at all. I asked him if he knew my mother-in-laws friend who is a well known runner from around here. Indeed he did, and knew much more about her than I did - like ... finished third in the NY marathon, was the first woman over 50 to break 3 hours in a marathon, along with a host of other records and multiple awards from the NYRR and USATF.
    She's rather private so I really only know her to say "hello" (usually at races) and never knew the details. Hope to hell I never sounded too satisfied with my results in her company. Still waiting to see if she will travel to Dublin with us ... would be very, very cool indeed.

Saturday: 16 miles with 8 at PMP. For some reason I was nervous about this run. Not sure why - the 8 PMP miles for some reason were intimidating me. Nothing I have not done before so it's hard to say why. So maybe this was a self fulfilling prophesy ...but sure enough after a few miles I wanted to go home ! The weather was not exceptionally warm but the humidity is deceptively draining. Hung in for grim death for seven miles at 8m/m+ before kicking on with the PMP mile. After 2 miles below 7:30 I was sure I was nto going to make it but it gradually become a little easier. Finished with 8 miles, 7 < 7:30, and 1 7:59 with a water break. 1 mile warmdown. So made the target on paper ... but tough, very tough. Tougher than it should have been.

Cannot get this table to format .... it gone over the 30 minutes I can allot it !

Week | PlanWeek |M |T |W |T | F | Sat | Sun |Total
    20 | P&D 16 | rest | 8A w10 100m | 12LR | 5R | A9 | 5R | 16LR w8PMP | 55
    20 | MyPlan | 8A w10 100m | 12LR | 5R | A9 | 5R | 16LR w8PMP | rest | 55
    20 | Actual | 8A w10 100m | 12LR | 5R | A9 | 5R | 16LR w8PMP | rest | 55
    20 | HR (Avg Max)| 136 165 | 125 136 | 98 115 | 126 136 | 125 139 | 149 166 | |
    20 | Weather | cool | cool | cool | cool | cool | 80f w 88% humidity | |
    20 | Comments | | | | | | Tough | |

Sunday: Rest and playing around with the new Garmin. It is up to date but still give results that seem "odd". On one run last week it gave a split of 59.99 for the last .16 of a mile run which messed up the average. Presumably I stood around at the end before stopping the watch ... but I have to say I have no memory of doing so. Might take it out with the 205 and see it they agree.

Monday: 11 Miles long run pace: 8:29mm. Cool but humid (80%). A struggle again - which is worrying after a rest day. No problem keeping to the lower pace this time ! I'm becoming a little concerned after two runs that seemed much harder than the should have been. Did not expect to be dealing with fatigue this early in the process. - can the humidity really be having that big an impact ? I got back to find my self drenched in sweat. Plan calls for 13 miles tomorrow - may have to think seriously about backing off on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I found my first P&D PMP session (enough with the acronyms already!) really difficult, and it made me doubt that I had chosen the right target. The next time, they were a little easier, and then next and the next... On race day I ran a good bit faster than the PMP I had trained for. So don't be put off. It's just one of the first steps in a lengthy period of training.

I never seem to meet anyone interesting while training (but then I don't get mauled by dogs either).

• Advertisement

Hey pg, just reading back through your log there and I realise you are based in NY. I will be around there for about 2 weks in early august (hence I am starting P&D a few weeks early) but I will be looking to get a few runs in. Where do you recommend? maybe we could even meet up for a few jogs?

Hey pg, just reading back through your log there and I realise you are based in NY. I will be around there for about 2 weks in early august (hence I am starting P&D a few weeks early) but I will be looking to get a few runs in. Where do you recommend? maybe we could even meet up for a few jogs?

Depends on where you are - but assuming Manhattan then Central Park is your only man ! The loop is about 6-7 miles long and hilly. Counter clockwise commonly believed to be the more demanding (steeper inclines). I do some runs down on Staten Island but that's a bit tough without a car. In Jersey Liberty State Park is a good (and flat) venue.

I don't know if you know here, but if not - a word of caution. August here can be hot. 90-100f ( low to high 30s) with humidity pushing the heat index another 10-15 degrees. If you plan anything long pack a hydration belt. Last summer was pretty cool and I'm hoping for the same again but we've already had some early heat. ( Having said all that I am doing a HM in the Bronx in mid-August - but I never said I was smart :D ). Oh and if you wnat to be ambitions look at the NY Road Runners site for a list of races around that time.

Give me a PM before you are over - I'm always looking for training partners - especially anyone who knows the DCM route !

Will PM you closer to the time. But definately plan to do a few runs in Central park :D Oh yeah and I know the DCM course have died on done it last year :D

I found my first P&D PMP session (enough with the acronyms already!) really difficult, and it made me doubt that I had chosen the right target. The next time, they were a little easier, and then next and the next... On race day I ran a good bit faster than the PMP I had trained for. So don't be put off. It's just one of the first steps in a lengthy period of training.

Cheers for that. Having done this kind of session (e.g. 20 with a finishing 5 at MP) for the previous marathon I was expecting it to be a little easier at this early stage. Just uploaded the stats and the average pace was 7:55 for the 16 miles. That is pushing it for me. The humidity is deceptive - it really felt fine when I started but I was sopping by the end of mile 5 and I was out of water before the end. So it might not be as worrying as I initially thought. Still ... that it carried through today's run is ... a little disappointing.
    I never seem to meet anyone interesting while training (but then I don't get mauled by dogs either).

When you run the same relatively small area every day you become kind of "public property" - part of the park - people stop to consult on lost trucks, flora and fauna (really), sudoko puzzles, stretching, running gear, where you buy running gear and once a family trying to find a lost elderly relative, etc, etc. It's usually pretty positive (albeit often bizarre ) stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

After the run things got interesting. I was stretching when a guy came over and started talking to me. He was a runner himself and had won the 75-79 age group in all five of NYRR half marathon series (the same series I am running this year) back in 2007. Still running and still winning/placing in AG with times that are not shabby at all. I asked him if he knew my mother-in-laws friend who is a well known runner from around here. Indeed he did, and knew much more about her than I did - like ... finished third in the NY marathon, was the first woman over 50 to break 3 hours in a marathon, along with a host of other records and multiple awards from the NYRR and USATF.
    She's rather private so I really only know her to say "hello" (usually at races) and never knew the details. Hope to hell I never sounded too satisfied with my results in her company. Still waiting to see if she will travel to Dublin with us ... would be very, very cool indeed.

A great story, what an impressive woman!

A great story, what an impressive woman!

Subsequently has discovered that she won the masters category in Boston - .....twice.... still digging !

Tuesday: 13 miles. 8:27m/m, HR avg: 134 max: 144. Things had cooled off a fair bit - back to 64f/40% at the start to 71/33% and I felt a lot more comfortable - not comfortable (13 miles is 13 miles) but more comfortable ! A bit of a relief after the struggles of yesterday. Made an effort to stay off my feet, use the elevator for a day - but I suspect the humidity is a bigger factor than I expected. Interesting to compare HR between the two days.

Either your Max HR is very low or these runs are well within your easy/recovery zone.

Either your Max HR is very low or these runs are well within your easy/recovery zone.

Interesting - that caught my attention too.
    Max HR so far (other than one mile1 outlier on a recovery run:eek:) has been 166. I would not call this morning session "easy" ... so my guess would be that my max is low. I need to look at yesterdays stats (where I was struggling) for comparison.

• Advertisement

Wednesday: 5 miles recovery, 4 on grass, 9:15mm. Temp: 64f/68%. Nice run - starting to get the hang of slower pace runs. Read a hint somewhere - to keep the stride the same but "soften" the push off the standing foot on recovery runs if the pace is a problem. That way the pace and impact is reduced without messing up the running form. Seems to be working for me.

Thursday: 9 miles w/4@15k-HM pace. Temp: 70f/88%-71f/74%. Well a confession. Being of the the pre-kilometer vintage, and reading P&D that the LT miles in here for slower runners should be at 15k pace, I without thinking assumed that HM pace was faster than 15k. Now my best HM pace is 7:05 - on a really, really forgiving course which I have since learned was gently down hill from mile 7 to 12. So back to MacMillan to figure out my 15k pace. I was a bit shocked to see 6:57 pop up. 15k is less that 13.1 miles - so P&D are saying the slower runners should do the LT miles (relatively) faster :eek:. Yikes - these guys are nasty. Ok so my LT miles should be between 6.57 and 7.05 (or 6:48 to 7:05 as per MacMillan itself). I knew this was going to be tough. Again not too warm but fairly humid. 3 miles warmup at around 8.00-8.30, stopped the watch to start on a mile boundary, took a water break. 4 miles aiming for about 7.00 per mile. After a mile and a half I was crying for mommy - I really need to work on my concentration. Staggered through the four 7.07, 6.50, 6.57, 6.59 (spurning my usual exchange of morning greetings with the regulars). Focusing on pace I found my form and breathing getting sloppy. It's hard to focus on multiple things at one time. 2 miles warm down where I enjoyed a gentle job ... finding myself doing a 7>30 mile that felt like a walk by comparison ! Happy to be through that, need to work on maintaining form.

On week 3 of P&D my initial impression is that the hard sessions are significently harder than in my previous training cycle ( which was based on a 3:30 plan from RW with longer runs and hill work imported from other plans and then with some tergat inspired PMP sessions added later). Other sessions in P&D (e.g. General Aerobic) are easier than I would have done sessions on the previous cycle. The second big difference is the midweek "medium long run" - fitting this in is going to be struggle but so far so good.
    I am confortable with the safety net that I can drop back to the lower milage plan if this gets too much.

Advertisement