Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Question about Platinum & Diamond/Pearl

• 24-02-2010 6:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

So after playing yellow & silver on my gameboy color the last few weeks I picked up a DS today and platinum version! My plan is to get leaf green and start from there but I don't have it yet.. I'm just wondering will I be ruining any sort of story etc by playing platinum now?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Not really, the games stories aren't all that interconnected but imo it would be better to start off with Leaf Green/Fire red, then finish that and get Heart Gold/Soul Silver then Emerald and then Platinum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Fire Red/Leaf Green are remakes of the first generation games, as you probably know. Like partyatmygaff said, each game is separate so there's no consistent storyline if you get what I mean. You can start with whatever version and not ruin any previous storylines. There may be small little nods in the the game to previous versions but that's it really. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

It's worth noting though that the game mechanics evolve so if you play Platinum, for example, you might get a little pissed off when you go back to Fire Red or Emerald and find that certain pokemon don't learn the same moves they did in platinum, or certain moves are not as effective as they used to be, or even just that certain evolutions and prevolutions of existing Pokemon aren't available.

I'm playing emerald at the moment though and I can't figure out why there's a Special Attack stat when the attacks aren't listed as Special or Physical types... Someone shine the Buzz-signal on Liberty Hall!

Also, since Platinum can import pokemon from the GB versions once you beat the E4 you might be glad of a well stocked GB cart or two :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I'd also say start with LeafGreen first, as since you've been playing Yellow and Silver, the game mechanic changes aren't that much of a jump than if you were going to go straight into Platinum with all the new Pokés and the physical/special split.

Although the stories don't overlap, as everyone has said, best to go from lower gens to higher ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

id say wait and and get leaf green. I got firered myself, and i think its actually the best game, mainly due to the pokemon. But i guess im just an original 151 guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

wobbles wrote: »
    id say wait and and get leaf green. I got firered myself, and i think its actually the best game, mainly due to the pokemon. But i guess im just an original 151 guy

Yeah so am I!

Well ive started now so I don't think ill stop till I get leaf green, just got it for a tenner on ebay :cool:

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

dazftw wrote: »
    Well ive started now so I don't think ill stop till I get leaf green, just got it for a tenner on ebay :cool:

Nice one :) Enjoy!

Beware of cheap ebay GBA games - I have a copy of Emerald on a genuine Nintondo cartridge (std philips screw head instead of triwing) which wiped itself the first time I fired up Diamond and tried to pal park over my 'Mons.

I bought a GBA game off ebay as well and it was counterfeit. (grey cartridge instead of red for firered). It still plays fine, but will not be picked up by diamond when you try to transfer pokemon. Trouble was that it was about 3 weeks after i had left feedback before i realised it was counterfeit. I still have it, dont wanna get rid of it as theres some lvl 100s on it, that i hope to try trade to my gunine firered someday

Yep, there's a few ways you can tell which games are counterfeits. I have a fake and real Emerald and you can tell straight away which one is fake. Here are some tell-tale signs on how to spot a fake:

1. The fakes usually won't sit flush in your Gameboy

2. The sticker on the cart will probably not be shiny like all the GBA pokémon games are. (bar mystery dungeon)

3. Have a look in the end of the cart. If you can see "*copywright sign* 2002 Nintendo" it's real. If not then it's a fake.

4. The plastic will feel cheap and have course edges

5. The Nintendo and Gameboy advance logos will look off.

There are a few other ways to tell but those are the main ones. If you're buying on ebay be very very wary of carts coming from China/Hong Kong etc. Buy from the UK or America.

• Advertisement

Apart from the grey cart and the mispelling of Nintendo, my emerald looks pretty authentic. Even came in a shiney retail-esque box. The swines!

Banjo wrote: »
    Even came in a shiney retail-esque box. The swines!

got one of these to. Did it happen to be flatpacked by any chance. i know mine was

Yes it was. Well, there's no shame in being fooled by the best....

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone want to buy a copy of Pokemon Emerald on an exclusive grey cartridge - you can't buy this limited edition in the shops! Let's start the bidding at €10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

€200?
    Would you take cash?!

I only have a €179 note on me so will that do?

Advertisement