Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa -V- Man United - 28th Feb

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Think Villa have a chance? What?

Of course they do ffs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I think Villa will edge this I hope so and it's not just my Liverpool streak, would like to see Villa pick up the silverware.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Its a cup final - anything can happen! Im a Utd fan and i wouldnt like to be betting on this one. Villa have conceded the least goals in the prem league this season(i think) & they have plenty players to cause us trouble!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'll be up for Villa anyway, and of course, they have a great chance. Wonder how strong a squad united will play.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

As a villa fan i'm not feeling overly confident about this one. I fancy United to put out as strong a team as they can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

shoutman wrote: »
    As a villa fan i'm not feeling overly confident about this one. I fancy United to put out as strong a team as they can.

I'm not feeling too confident as a Man Utd fan. Worried that we won't be putting out as strong a team as we can, Fergie said either yesterday or today that he would be freshening the team up and lately when we play with less regulars we aint been setting the world on fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Villa are a bloody great team with a great manager, they definately have it in them.

Im hoping we see Rooney and Owen up front, Gibson will play i think and Nani is back from suspension so i expect him to start, ill go with:

Foster
    -Rafael-Vidic-Evans-Evra
    Nani-Gibson-Fletcher-Obertan
    Rooney-Owen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Going to the game myself cant wait but hope its better then last years final although least I got see penalty shoot out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

CHD wrote: »
    Think Villa have a chance? What?

Of course they do ffs.

No need to be so condescending.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Villa are a bloody great team with a great manager, they definately have it in them.

Im hoping we see Rooney and Owen up front, Gibson will play i think and Nani is back from suspension so i expect him to start, ill go with:

Foster
    -Rafael-Vidic-Evans-Evra
    Nani-Gibson-Fletcher-Obertan
    Rooney-Owen

Nani's still suspended. Could see Park there instead, to deal with Young.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

baz2009 wrote: »
    No need to be so condescending.

Chelsea fan, can't help it!

Really want Dunney to get himself a trophy.

Looking forward to it anyway, should be a good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

lol villa are a great team with a great manager? jesus.

Villa will line up as usual i'd imagine, only interesting thing will be who will line up between the sticks. Does MON stick with Guzan who has started every league cup game for the last few seasons, or does he go for umero numero and stick Friedel in.

Guzan
    Cuellar--Dunne--Davies--Warnock
    Young--Milner--Petrov--Downing
    Heskey--Agbonlahor----

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Mr Alan wrote: »

Whats the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Going to be a darn tough game, no doubt about it. Vidic should make a big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Villa will line up as usual i'd imagine, only interesting thing will be who will line up between the sticks. Does MON stick with Guzan who has started every league cup game for the last few seasons, or does he go for umero numero and stick Friedel in.

Guzan
    Heskey--Agbonlahor----

It will probably be collins instead of Davies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

villa all the way

In my opinion they are.

United took 1 point from 2 matches with them this season. They won at Anfield, they beat Chelsea, they are in the Carling Cup final.

Whats lol worthy there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    In my opinion they are.

United took 1 point from 2 matches with them this season. They won at Anfield, they beat Chelsea, they are in the Carling Cup final.

Whats lol worthy there?

Mr Alan hates any other team getting praise I have noticed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Mr.Alan this is why people don't take you seriously

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Does MON stick with Guzan who has started every league cup game for the last few seasons, or does he go for umero numero and stick Friedel in.

starting to think we'll see friedel starting, with guzan coming on in the last minute of extra time if needed

mon did that in a playoff final for leicester before, so its definitely something we might expect if its tight

matrim wrote: »
    It will probably be collins instead of Davies

lol of course it will, don't know what confused me.

are you lads for real? villa are GREAT team? mon is a GREAT manager? ****s sake lads, barca are a great team, ferguson is a great manager. Villa have done nothing to be even nearly considered great yet, ditto for o'neill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Quandary wrote: »
    Villa have conceded the least goals in the prem league this season(i think)

We've the least goals conceded in the entire English league. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Guzan
    Heskey--Agbonlahor----

Can't see Guzan starting, Friedel's been rested for the FA Cup replay so must be odds on to start. Guzan's looked very nervous in his recent games (2 v Blackburn and replay vs Palace). He's not been communicating with the defence well and a clinical team like Utd would have profitted from one of his hesitances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

are you lads for real? villa are GREAT team? mon is a GREAT manager? ****s sake lads, barca are a great team, ferguson is a great manager. Villa have done nothing to be even nearly considered great yet, ditto for o'neill.

So they good? Or very good?

No-one was comparing them to a top team man...

they are good. no one was comparing them to anything, they were simply commenting on their ability, which they refered to as great. which is nonsense.

Barca are the best team. Ferguson is the best manager. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Am I the only one who finds this match a bit of an inconvenience for United? Like it was great to beat City and put them back in their box in the semi, but I couldn't give a sh*te if they lose on Sunday. Come the end of the season no one really remembers who won the Carling Cup anyway, not to mind a year or two later.

• Advertisement

ok Mikey, lets say for example, would you call City a great team? or Mancini/Hughes a great manager? wat about Rafa & Liverpool? somehow i doubt it. yet seemingly despite MON spending far more than Rafa he last few years, being one of the top spending clubs in Europe & having the best owner in the league & winning nothing, getting to one final and challenging for the top 4 makes him & his team great?

the only thing great about MON & Villa is their PR department tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

V1llianous wrote: »
    Friedel's been rested for the FA Cup replay

you dont rest keepers to be fair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

clicked in on page one, saw some arguement start about whether MON is a great manager etc...left, came back an hour later, page 3 its still being argued about?

ffs

who cares

cant we just say they all have lovely bottoms and be done with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

kryogen wrote: »
    clicked in on page one, saw some arguement start about whether MON is a great manager etc...left, came back an hour later, page 3 its still being argued about?

ffs

who cares

cant we just say they all have lovely bottoms and be done with it

It's a good arse, just not great! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

To be honest, now that we're here, I'd like to win. However, I'd like to see the younger players put out if fit. I won't be massively upset if we lose, if you gave me the choice of winning this or dropping points in our next league game, it wouldn't take a second to decide.

Evans, Rafael, Fabio, Anderson, Gibson, Macheda, Diouf should all start if fit.
    I'd love to see De Laet and King on the bench aswell.

One good thing about this game is that it counts as one of Nani's suspension. If he and Valencia can maintain their forms on the wings, we've got a real good shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

:rolleyes:

Sour grapes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

I reckon Fergie is going to send out a weak team. I dont think he cares about the cup, and I reckon he will be cautious and spare himself any potential blushes.

Villa have nothing to lose here. They are the underdog going into it and nobody would bat an eyelid at losing to Man U in a final.

As for the MON and being a great manager, I think he has the potential to be, certainly this is his first real shot to prove it. He took a woeful Celtic team and made them unbeatable at home in the CL.

The job at Leicester was a nothing short of amazing and correct me if im wrong, they went down the season after O'Neill left. But I agree, the trophy cabinet needs to be filled to be a great.

ok Mikey, lets say for example, would you call City a great team? or Mancini/Hughes a great manager? wat about Rafa & Liverpool? somehow i doubt it. yet seemingly despite MON spending far more than Rafa he last few years, being one of the top spending clubs in Europe & having the best owner in the league & winning nothing, getting to one final and challenging for the top 4 makes him & his team great?

Hold on, i didnt publish a book on "Why Aston Villa are a great team". I made a comment which i now wish i put as "I really rate Aston Villa and i like what Martin O'Neill is doing" and you have taken it far to literally. Did Martin O'Neill ruin your birthday when you were young?

Your reading way too much into it.

And to answer your question, "As I say, at the end of the day" (David O'Leary, 2001) Aston Villa are a smaller club than Liverpool and as City are Mega-rich it is my personal opinion that how MON has them competing with these teams on the regular is... well... great. If you dont agree with me, well, then thats... just... your opinon... man. (The Dude, 1998).

Final point, main reason for my origional post is how bloody well Villa played against us twice this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

In fairness, greatness is more a threshold than a capping of any potential improvement or relative superiority. I.e., you don't need to be head and shoulders above everyone else to be considered "great."

Villa are a great team, along with many other teams, some superior, some inferior. They are in the top flight of their domestic league, in a cup final and into the quarters of another. Does this make them only very good in your opinion? Fair enough, but that means all teams below them must be classed no higher than "good". I think there may be some mid-table premiership teams that would object to merely being referred to as "good". Moreover, at that point you then must determine which teams are O.K. and further, which teams are "****."

I'd consider Barcelona a great team and Fergie a great manager, but Barcelona can also claim to be an exceptional team and Fergie a luminary of modern management. This is where they surpass being great, but they are obviously both still great.

I have absolutely no doubts United will play their strongest possible team.

JPA wrote: »

doubt it

team will probably look something like this

PIG/Foster
    Raf
    Brown
    Evans
    Fabio (if still injured Evra/De Laet)
    Valencia---Gibson
    Flecth
    Obertan

Rooney
    Owen

unless he gonna go 451

• Advertisement

Not that big a game tbh. Next league match is far far more important to United than this.

If I could guarantee it I would, no way will Ferguson risk losing a final by playing an understrength team.

It's not like United are playing Milan on Wednesday, they have until Saturday before their next match after sunday.

If I could guarantee it I would, no way will Ferguson risk losing a final by playing an understrength team.

It's not like United are playing Milan on Wednesday, they have until Saturday before their next match after sunday.

it will be a mixed team im 99% sure of that

i would rather it was just the kids that playd tbh

of course now we are in the final i would like to win it, but i wont be too bothered if we dont so id rather the fringe players and kids get a day out

then if we win it it will feel like an achievement

it will be a mixed team im 99% sure of that

i would rather it was just the kids that playd tbh

of course now we are in the final i would like to win it, but i wont be too bothered if we dont so id rather the fringe players and kids get a day out

then if we win it it will feel like an achievement

But a full strength team beating Villa isn't that big a deal eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Strangely apathetic about this to be honest. City was a big deal because of the rivalry and the extra Tevez and money factors this season.

Obviously I want us to win it, its still a domestic trophy but I would rather we focus on the league and Europe than go all out to win this.

But a full strength team beating Villa isn't that big a deal eh?

nothing to do with Villa, doesnt matter who the cup final is against, id want it to be an outing for the kids

the city game was the only one i cared about winning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

nothing to do with Villa, doesnt matter who the cup final is against, id want it to be an outing for the kids

the city game was the only one i cared about winning

So you'd prefer to win a semi final than a final. Riiiight. Seems you care more about City losing.Do you really hate City that much? :p

Johner wrote: »
    So you'd prefer to win a semi final than a final. Riiiight. Seems you care more about City losing.Do you really hate City that much? :p

sigh, maybe i should always phrase things better for people who dont understand so well

the city game was important, it would not have made me happy to lose to our city rivals, therefore i wanted a strong team put out to beat them, plus io had city backed to win nothing this year

i have already said, now that we are there i would rather win obv, but i wont be pushed if we lose

its not an important game for me

i would rather the youth get a day out, how many more times does that have to be repeated?

Johner wrote: »

City semi final was a one off in fairness, given the exceptional circumstances. It wasn't just a randomn semi final. It became much more than that. Totally with kryogen here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Would rest Rooney and possibly Evra if Fabio is fit, rest of team i would like to be as strong as possible.It's a final and a trophy afterall. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement