Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa -V- Man United - 28th Feb

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Doyler92 wrote: »
    I know it may be a bit early for this but does anybody think Villa have a chance of winning this.

What?! If they can win at OT, they can win at Wembley. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

d22ontour wrote: »
    Would rest Rooney and possibly Evra if Fabio is fit, rest of team i would like to be as strong as possible.It's a final and a trophy afterall. ;)

On behalf of all Villa Fans, please become United manager before Sunday....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Neil3030 wrote: »
    On behalf of all Villa Fans, please become United manager before Sunday....

Yeah, I can't see it to be honest! He will make changes but, I'd be confident that Rooney will start!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

kryogen wrote: »
    but i wont be pushed if we lose

its not an important game for me
    flahavaj wrote: »
    Am I the only one who finds this match a bit of an inconvenience for United? ... I couldn't give a sh*te if they lose on Sunday.

im sorry lads but i really f*ckin hate this mentality. As a UTD fan i want us to win every game, i want us to win silverwear regardless, and i for one will be gutted if we lose, as i am whever it happens regardless of the team or the competition. Calling this an inconvenience is laughable imo, its a great morale boost for the players and i want to see more fire in the bellies of the players than i am seeing in here!

U N I T E D......

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I wouldn't say it's an inconvenience but like kryogen said i'd have been more upset losing to city, if we win it's a bonus. For me it's always about the league.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

lordgoat wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it's an inconvenience but like kryogen said i'd have been more upset losing to city, if we win it's a bonus. For me it's always about the league.

I really hope the united team share your and a number of other peoples views, Villa already took four points off United in the league they cant afford to go easy on us in a one off game with a cup on the line. I dont expect them to either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Winning the Carling Cup to me doesn't mean a lot unless its put beside the league or CL. Winning one of those is tough enough to put the FA Cup or the league Cup beside it is a very good if not great achievement.

Therefore to me the importance of Sunday won't really be felt until the end of the season. If we don't win the league or CL then I won't really care about winning or losing the CC. If we win the league or CL then I would view a lost cup final as a missed opportunity. Either way I obviously want us to win on Sunday, because I hate to see us lose any game, and I think it actually gives a good boost to the club or squad at an important part of the season.

PIG
    -Rafael---Brown---Evans
    Evra
    Gibson-Fletcher-Carrick
    -Valenica
    Park
    Rooney

Not really week while not full strength either.

PIG or Foster will definitly start. My nod goes to PIG. Think he deserves it. Stood in admirably when VDS was injured, and Foster was muck.

Neville playing mid week means Rafeal will start.

I'm guessing Rio is out and I'm giving Vidic weekend off. Fergie may want to play him but again Brown, and Evans have played a big part in getting us here so I think they will get the nod. If Vidic comes in I expect Evans to play, and Brown to be the one to miss out.

Evra needs a break but I don't if we have any options fit to take the left back spot. I also don't think we have any that I would trust against Villa.

Fletcher and Carrick sitting out midweek means they are probably inline to start on Saturday, while the opposite goes for Gibson. I believe he started to give him some game time before the final. Also he may well be needed in the CL with Carrick suspended, and Anderson injured, so more game and "big" occasion would be good for him.

Valenica has to start, he got a good break a few back so I think he should be alright to start most games from now till seasons end. Park is are only available option on the left, apart from Rooney who I will get to.

Rooney will need a break at some stage, and I wouldn't be surprised if its here. However he scored the goal that put us in the final, and is obviously in great form, and with him being Rooney he would be pissed to miss out on a final. If he starts its up top, we don't need him running up and down the wing.

If he doesn't start, its a toss up between Owen and Berbatov. Probably depends on how much Berbatovs injury is still being managed, or if he is over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

can't see Rooney not starting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Not that big a game tbh. Next league match is far far more important to United than this.

I'm replying as a villa fan to this one.

Personally I think your wrong saying it's not that big of a game. Of course it is with the current situation at the club, they need as much silverware as can get, same with any other team.

But I do agree with the next league game being not more important, but important alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

United will have full strength team out for sure with maybe Gibson as the exception (I wouldn't include Rafael in this, he seems to be getting major gametime this last while).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

My guess - something along these lines I'm thinking rest for Fletcher

FOSTER

RAFAEL
    J. EVANS
    VIDIC
    EVRA

VALENCIA
    CARRICK
    GIBSON
    PARK

ROONEY
    OWEN

SUBS:
    KUSZCZAK
    NEVILLE
    BROWN
    FLETCHER
    SCHOLES
    BERBATOV
    DIOUF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Smegball wrote: »
    United will have full strength team out for sure with maybe Gibson as the exception (I wouldn't include Rafael in this, he seems to be getting major gametime this last while).

He's not played last two games and only 2 of last 5.

I'd be thinking he will probably play. Really hoping he will actually, I'd rather see him in there than Neville and I don't think Neville is able for 1 full game never mind 3 in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Brien

I want Utd to play a full team, with Rooney and Evra, and win. I am a united FAN. I want to see them win every match they play, it doesnt matter what the competition is. just because the ECL and Premiership are "bigger" competitions, anyone who says they dont care for "just the carling cup" is saying they dont care about watching their team lose a game.

Villa are tough, we all know. I'm looking forward to it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Even though Rafael is suspect defending I'd take him over Neville any day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

MU have to win but i dont think it will be an easy game for them

I think 2- 1 to MU

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    MU have to win but i dont think it will be an easy game for them

I think 2- 1 to MU

I agree with this. I think Villa will go one nil up then United will come back to 2-1.

Lads quick question. What time is kick off and is it live on tv?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Doyler92 wrote: »
    Lads quick question. What time is kick off and is it live on tv?

3pm and BBC1 and Sky Sports 1, though hopefully I'll be watching from Wembley.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

3pm and BBC1 and Sky Sports 1, though hopefully I'll be watching from Wembley.
    You might want to get going so! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Am I the only one who finds this match a bit of an inconvenience for United? Like it was great to beat City and put them back in their box in the semi, but I couldn't give a sh*te if they lose on Sunday. Come the end of the season no one really remembers who won the Carling Cup anyway, not to mind a year or two later.

Your a gas man flahavaj, honestly, if I didn't know any better, I'd swear City really bother ya!!!!!:D.

Would like to see Dunne win today after the way City let him go and would like to see Villa win as apparantely the Carling Cup is only an inconvenience to the mighty Utd.....
    Maybe next year they might rule themselves out of the tournament and leave it for teams who aren't so far up their own a**es as to have that kind of view. :p
    I'd say it means something to Villa if they win it today and I know it would've meant something to us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

As a united fan who's team are out of the FA Cup and second in the Premier League I would be delighted to win this today. The league is not guaranteed or even close. Out of the FA Cup. This may be our only trophy this year. Why would you pass it up? Weird.

On the other hand, if we were to lose today I'm glad its against Villa. I like them. I think they deserve some glory. Well run club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

on the villa!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Goals on Sunday now reckon the league cup is more important then the fa cup hmm convienant that they don't have the rights to show the fa cup ;p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Goals on Sunday now reckon the league cup is more important then the fa cup hmm convienant that they don't have the rights to show the fa cup ;p

Off course it's more important :p

If we lose, it's just a Mickey Mouse Cup anyway :o

Interestingly, if Villa win today, they are only 1 behind Liverpools record of 7.

Anyway, c'mon United!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

May the best team win.

Villa!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

And so the nerves are kicking in.

Ultimately, the PL and the CL are way more important, so therefore I think resting Rooney is a good idea, but once we're out on the pitch, the nerves will get worse and worse. Nothing like a cup final eh?

Who is going to win? Honestly haven't got a clue.

Amazing factoid alert though. If United win this it'll be the first time in their entire history that they've retained a cup competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

As a United supporter i'm worrried about this one. Villa have a lot of pace all over, a strong defence and i rate Milner as being one of the outstanding midfielders this season. Hopefully we get a good game(and a united win:D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

0,,10265~8644793,00.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Rooney doesn't start according to bbc coverage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Rooney not starting according to the Beeb. Bold move by Fergy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Berba & Owen up front, delighted for Owen tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Berbatov and Owen start up front, Rooney on the bench - BBC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Villa to win 2-1.

Berba & Owen up front, delighted for OwenVilla tbh.

:)

not taking Berbs and Owen lightly but Rooney is the one player at united id be really worried about. He will come on though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

not taking Berbs and Owen lightly but Rooney is the one player at united id be really worried about. He will come on though

Hopefully he won't need to. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭glanman

Bounty, team is:

VILLA: Friedel, Cuellar, Dunne, Collins, Warnock, A Young, Milner, Petrov, Downing, Agbonlahor, Heskey. Subs: Guzan, Sidwell, Delph, Delfouneso, L Young, Carew, Beye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Rooney to be subbed on and score the winner

I've been eager to see Owen and Berbatov up top since they did so well in pre-season, but not sure a cup final is the best place to try it out again !

Ah he'll get on yeah but I'd say Villa are creaming themselves right now looking at that team sheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Right to give Rooney a rest IMO!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

That_Guy wrote: »
    Ah he'll get on yeah but I'd say Villa are creaming themselves right now looking at that team sheet.

then they are an incredibly disrespectful bunch of players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

With Rooney not playing Villa have the better team, I predict a Villa win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭glanman

UTD is:

Kusack, rafeal, vidic, evans, evra, alencia, fletch, carrick, park, owen, berb...

Come on the villa!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

im very happy to see Rooney getting a rest

I see the pig is on goals, happy enough with that

then they are an incredibly disrespectful bunch of players.

Well to be honest it'd give me a lift as a defender to see Rooney's name not in the starting 11. Berbatov and Owen are a threat too of course but if I was a Villa defender I'd be sh*tting myself going up against one of the best and most in form strikers in Europe.

EDIT: Interesting to see how Vidic does in defence today after his lenghty lay off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Well to be honest it'd give me a lift as a defender to see Rooney's name not in the starting 11. Berbatov and Owen are a threat too of course but if I was a Villa defender I'd be sh*tting myself going up against one of the best and most in form strikers in Europe.

EDIT: Interesting to see how Vidic does in defence today after his lenghty lay off.

He played agains West Ham midweek and did a great job.

• Advertisement

glanman wrote: »
    Bounty, team is:

VILLA: Friedel, Cuellar, Dunne, Collins, Warnock, A Young, Milner, Petrov, Downing, Agbonlahor, Heskey. Subs: Guzan, Sidwell, Delph, Delfouneso, L Young, Carew, Beye.

cheers man.

exactley what I woulda guessed but still nice to have confirmation that we are playing what has essentially been our 1st 11 for the majority of the season. like Rooney Carew will come on at some stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

He played against West Ham last week.

Woops. Sorry didn't realise he played midweek. My bad.

Good chance for Villa looking at the united team.

I still think United will take it though with the pressure of the occasion getting to Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Gona be a tough game. Berbatov to run the show I think

• Advertisement
Advertisement