Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise on baby formula

Options
  • 24-02-2010 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi All,

We have a new arrival in house lil' 'Jake',5 1/2 weeks old. He has been a bit colicky and windy form the start so we have tried to help him as best we can. Tried him on Aptamil first, but it didn't seem to suit him, then chaged to Aptamil Comfort improved him a bit. Tried Udo's choice infants blend, did not work, tried Infacol, did not work, we have him on Colief now and it is helping him but we find he is now quite windy and colicky in the mornings when he never was before. Any advise?

Cheers.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

Congrats to yo both & welcome little Jake!

I don't have much advice to offer except that I would suggest you give the little lad a bit if a wind before each feed as well as after - this can help some colicky babies

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

Congrats on little Jake!

I had my ds on Aptamil Comfort up to when he was 14 weeks as he was also a bit colicky. I found the Comfort really helped with the painful colic in the evening, he was like a different baby within days.

But there was a lot of explosive bottom wind especially when he first started on it, and I did have about a half hour to an hour of rubbing his tummy everyday at 5 in the morning to "help" him do a poo. He wasn't constipated but just seemed to have trouble going then would go in a big explosion.

I kinda put it down to a lesser of two evils and moved him back to Aptamil first when he was 14 weeks.

I see that you are now using colief, as far as I know it's basically the same idea as the Comfort as it breaks down some of the protein in the milk which is already done in the comfort formula.

You could also try a small amount of fennel tea before the morning bottle. As far as I know you can buy an infant preparation in health food shops.

Hope this helps, and hopefully all these early digestive problems with dissappear as his little tummy develops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

I would say that you might not be giving enough time to each option, he is only 5.5 weeks old and it sounds like you have tried lots of things already, some things take 2 weeks to work.

I would recommend the Dr Brown bottles and stick with a formula that you are happy with.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭legatti

shame you didnt breast feed really, that really helps, some babies are just more prone to colic and reflux, they usually grow out of it by 3/4 months old.
    if your worried take baby to the doctors, its better safe than sorry

and the best advice i ever got.. was "" listen to everything nicely.. let it go in one ear.. out the other and DO exactly what you feel is right for you and baby ""

enjoy, as these days, weeks and months fly past and there so precious:)

best wishes to you and your family :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

congratulations welome to the insane world that is parenthood:)
    is he windy or still hungry?? my little lad is 7 weeks and i'm combined feeding .. i noticed that sometimes he would start this crying and go absolutely mental.. discovered by process of elimination that it was hunger, hence the combined feeding. what confused us thinking it was wind was when he was crying so much he took in air got the wind up but kept on crying:eek:
    i
    f you're making the bottles from powder you could try the sterile water i've heard this is quite good .. the chemists sell it.. otherwise i'm out of ideas;)

hope this is some help...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭2SWEET

You should definitely give the Dr Browns bottles a go, bit more expensive and fiddly to clean but they are so worth it.
    I would also say give a little more time to each formula as it can take a while for a baby to settle on them.
    My five month old had awful Colic even though he had been breastfed for a couple of weeks, then for reasons beyond my control i had to bottlefeed, tried a couple of formulas, namely SMA gold and Apitamil.. it wasn't until he was 7 weeks old and we started using the Dr Browns bottles that we saw an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

legatti wrote: »
    shame you didnt breast feed really, that really helps,

I know the rest of your post was friendly but sincerely if someone with a problem breastfeeding was told shame you didn't bottle feed there'd be hell to pay.

Back on topic I know that the bottles with the little bags in them, you get them in the chemist, really helped my best friend and her very collicky daughter, and my brother turned out to be lactose intolerant which was where his extreme pain was coming from and a soy based formula turned him immediately into a different baby.

Congrats on new arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭neeb

Colief is lactase, the enzyme that digests lactose. if its working your baby may have secondary lactose intolerance caused by a bug, antibiotics, allergy or just getting used to so much milk. (Real lactose intolerance in children is tested for with the heel prick test, very rare and your child would be seriously ill)
    Has he been sick? Has he been on antibiotics? Those can cause problems temporary secondary lactose intolerance. An allery to the formula can cause that too, often the confort formulas have the cows milk protien partly broken down so that its less likely to cause allergy. There are different levels of this, standard comfort formula, Nutramigen type and then Neocate which I think is prescription only. You do need to use them for about 2 weeks to see if they work.

Best of luck with everything, hope baby is feeling better soon.

Advertisement