Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom usage stats have changed

• 24-02-2010 7:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Sarn

I just checked my broadband usage stats on the Eircom page and found that download and uploads are now combined as part of your allowance. Their product description still states 'download allowance'. They've also kindly revised my stats upwards for the past four months.

It also now contains the following at the bottom of the page: 'Please refer to your bill for actual excess GB usage billed, if you have exceeded your product allowance.'

I know this has been discussed many times but could it be a sign that Eircom might now start billing for overusage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

That is odd.
    I've just looked at mine, and its the same as previously. Uploads are not combined.
    I also saw the bit about the excess GB on the bill.
    Sarn wrote: »
    I just checked my broadband usage stats on the Eircom page and found that download and uploads are now combined as part of your allowance. Their product description still states 'download allowance'. They've also kindly revised my stats upwards for the past four months.

It also now contains the following at the bottom of the page: 'Please refer to your bill for actual excess GB usage billed, if you have exceeded your product allowance.'

I know this has been discussed many times but could it be a sign that Eircom might now start billing for overusage?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Sarn wrote: »

I know this has been discussed many times but could it be a sign that Eircom might now start billing for overusage
    ?

The only ones that can answer that for you are Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭__________

I noticed that too, I'm gone 4gb over this month but I never bother checking it because they never bill for it.

If they do start billing for this, without giving notice that they were going to start, I'm leaving them in a flash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

ToS states that they can charge for going over the limit, because they don't at the moment is probably what has them so many customers.Considering how broke they are, it might become another source of revenue...

d22ontour wrote: »
    ToS states that they can charge for going over the limit, because they don't at the moment is probably what has them so many customers.Considering how broke they are, it might become another source of revenue...

Could actually lose them money tho, I for one am definitely leaving if they introduce charging not because I don't agree with it but because the way they are doing it. No warning nothing, if people are regularly used to exceeding the cap, they are going to get gigantic bills next month. I'm only 4gb over and 2gb last month so that's an extra €60 onto my bill that I haven't budgeted for. Gonna leave them for the home phone too if this happens.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

d22ontour wrote: »

...and god knows Eircom could do with the extra revenue, UPC and the likes are killing them and citys and its likely a reason why they've added 6 month contracts onto their PSTN line installs.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Eircom started doing stuff to the really heavy users
    __________ wrote: »
    Could actually lose them money tho, I for one am definitely leaving if they introduce charging not because I don't agree with it but because the way they are doing it. No warning nothing, if people are regularly used to exceeding the cap, they are going to get gigantic bills next month. I'm only 4gb over and 2gb last month so that's an extra €60 onto my bill that I haven't budgeted for. Gonna leave them for the home phone too if this happens.

But who are you going to move to?

Unless Magnet, UPC or the likes of Smart are in your area your going to be limited to a very small cap (in comparison to those listed above) and you'll still affectively be paying eircom money (for bit-stream rental from your ISP).

You leaving eircom and then moving to Vodafone for phone/broadband as a bit-stream resold product won't have a massive affect on eircom as they'll still get rental for ADSL and PSTN services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'd move to the big city before I start paying Eircom for their crap download allowance.

Cabaal wrote: »
    ...and god knows Eircom could do with the extra revenue, UPC and the likes are killing them and citys and its likely a reason why they've added 6 month contracts onto their PSTN line installs.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Eircom started doing stuff to the really heavy users

But who are you going to move to?

Unless Magnet, UPC or the likes of Smart are in your area your going to be limited to a very small cap (in comparison to those listed above) and you'll still affectively be paying eircom money (for bit-stream rental from your ISP).

You leaving eircom and then moving to Vodafone for phone/broadband as a bit-stream resold product won't have a massive affect on eircom as they'll still get rental for ADSL and PSTN services.

UPC, Imagine wimax and smart are all available in my area yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

We're on the Eircom 7MB home service, but to be honest we usually well exceed the 50GB we're allocated. If they begin charging for going over then I'm afraid it'll be straight over to Smart for us. We can only get their bitstream service so it'd be a repackaged Eircom product anyway, but at least their cap is set at 160GB or so before they throttle you. That's way more than we actually need, seems like a fair deal?

Lads I would assume that if Eircom were to start charging, they'd have the common decency to give some sort of warning? Or would they not have literally thousands of customers being billed mad amounts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

We're on the Eircom 7MB home service, but to be honest we usually well exceed the 50GB we're allocated. If they begin charging for going over then I'm afraid it'll be straight over to Smart for us. We can only get their bitstream service so it'd be a repackaged Eircom product anyway, but at least their cap is set at 160GB or so before they throttle you. That's way more than we actually need, seems like a fair deal?

Lads I would assume that if Eircom were to start charging, they'd have the common decency to give some sort of warning? Or would they not have literally thousands of customers being billed mad amounts?

They have given you years of exceeding your download limit.

• Advertisement

They have given you years of exceeding your download limit.

That doesn't make any sense in the context of this thread.

They have been allowing people to exceed the cap with no penalty for years yes, but by just suddenly starting to charge for it without any warning is very sneaky business tactics and not the right way to treat your customers.

The proof is in the pudding, if myself and I'm sure many others are sent whopping bills just out of the blue then we are leaving their service. End of.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

This thread is yet again full of the usual nonsense once this thing starts. As I have said many times before it seems to me as if certain people will not be happy untial Eircom actually do charge and they can moan and moan incessantly.

The thread is based on nothing at all and yet people are moaning and threatening they will do this do that etc etc. I am sure Hysteria could more properly be pursued in the personal issues forum.

As a poster said above if and when Eircom do change their policy then I hope they have the decency to give people notice. In the meantime everyone who has signed up for them knows what the caps are so the decision to break them is yours and nobody else's and you are fully aware of the possible financial consequences.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

What cap? I'm on upc and download to my hearts content

I doubt they're going to charge. I know they changed the stats page but it's still showing the incorrect limit of 40GB for me. I'm on 7mb and it should be 50GB.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

What cap? I'm on upc and download to my hearts content

There's a cap of sorts...a FUP...its very well known :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

I doubt they're going to charge. I know they changed the stats page but it's still showing the incorrect limit of 40GB for me. I'm on 7mb and it should be 50GB.

Take screenshots before they fix it, that way you can tell them their tool is misreporting and therefore cant be used by customers so they can't charge us :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

There's a cap of sorts...a FUP...its very well known :)

They don't seem to enforce it, unless it's ridiculously high!

They don't seem to enforce it, unless it's ridiculously high!

Around 280GB.......you'd be surprised people hit it, either way its not unlimited...not ISP really is at the end of the day...they may just have higher limits then others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I agree with dub on this one, people won't be bloody happy till eircom start charging

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Board Senseless

It remains to be seen if they will actually charge these new rates. According to them €2 per GB is a reduction from €10, which we know not to be the case.

Around 280GB.......you'd be surprised people hit it, either way its not unlimited...not ISP really is at the end of the day...they may just have higher limits then others
    Oh when I say unlimited, I mean how much I can realistically download. I'm not sure how people go over that.. actually I'm close this month..but I would struggle thinking of things to download. Ah yeah I'd nobody could realistically be unlimited but when it's very high like that they will certainly get my money.

Back to hating Eircom :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭_John C

€2 is better then €10 per gb when they implement it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

__________ wrote: »

Do you honestly think that the vast majority of eircom customers are exceeding their caps?

I don't think so, your average user would only use a small percentage of their cap, so in short, if they did start charging "heavy users" I can't see it being a huge loss of income to them.

Nothing has changed afaik, they still have the t&cs of usage in place but they have yet to enforce their own policy, until such a day, I really don't see the point of this discussion tbh!

_John C wrote: »
    €2 is better then €10 per gb when they implement it.
    Don't hold your breath on that.

Don't hold your breath on that.

Its should be the end of March according to the upcoming pdf on Eircom.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Board Senseless

But according to that PDF it's a reduction in the charge. As far as I know no-one's ever been charged the current charge so it's not definite that anyone will be charged the reduced one.

The fact that they bothered to reduce a charge that they never apply could be an indication that they're getting their ducks in order and are going to begin, but it could also be some admin thing that's no indication of anything.

Kahnyl wrote: »
    But according to that PDF it's a reduction in the charge. As far as I know no-one's ever been charged the current charge so it's not definite that anyone will be charged the reduced one.

The fact that they bothered to reduce a charge that they never apply could be an indication that they're getting their ducks in order and are going to begin, but it could also be some admin thing that's no indication of anything.

Couple that pdf with statement at the bottom of the usage page and you have a fairly strong indication you know.

Advertisement