Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC won't power on

• 24-02-2010 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭

Right guys, come home from work to find me PC won't power on.

I am so sad :(

If I plug the power lead out and back in then press on, the green light flashes, the fan on the case & the fan on the motherboard spin 1 revolution then nothing. No noise the whole time either.

I have tried various power leads and they all work on this PC so I know its not the lead, the next thing I can think of is the power supply.

Now, does this sound like a power issue and can I fix it by swapping the power units? I dont want to risk blowing everything so I said I'd ask you guys.

This is the (working) PC that I am on

cam0006.jpg

And this is the one that wont power up

cam0007.jpg

Sorry about the bad quality photos

Can I swith these to test if its the power supply?

Thanks in advance for your help guys :)

Tallon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Unless your computer took a shunt, and a card inside got moved a bit, then yes, I'd reckon it's the power supply.

Power supplies will generally work in any computer (there was a Dell power supply that had an unusual motherboard power connection though), as long as they have the correct connections for motherboard (20/24 pin), processor (if applicable) and drives. The only issue you may have is if the power supply isn't powerful enough if you have lots of drives and thirsty graphics card(s). But as long as the connections are suitable, just connect up one hard drive initially and see if the computer starts normally. Will help you determine if the PSU really is at fault.

If you have lots of drives, maybe upgrading to a higher wattage power supply would help. 245W is fine for the average user (1 or 2 hard drives, and an optical drive).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

This is the exact advice I got off a friend in work today :)
    I was jsut hoping to get it sorted alst night :(

So, I think what happened was, I installed a graphics card several months ago because I am doing a lot of video & picture editing and was working away fine with it. If I was rendering video the fan would always be running due to the quality of the videos...

it appears It put the crappy 250w PSU under too much pressure and it blew, the other one in the pic is a 300 and it should do as a workaround until I get a 400w so i will try that tonight.

Cheers for your help, can't tell you how appreciated it is :)

EDIT: I'll probably go for this: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=404885

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

That sounds about right with the graphics card. The 400W should sort you out.

I've found that with faulty PSUs, it's often because the fan inside has become faulty. If the fan doesn't start, then the rest of the circuitry inside the PSU is prevented from starting up as a safety feature. I've seen a PSU that failed to rotate only if it was in a certain position trying to start from rest (something to do with trying to energise the coil it was sitting close to) - giving it a helping hand to begin rotating, and the PSU would start normally. The fans inside PSUs are usually fairly standard yokes too, I've replaced a couple, and they're still working fine. More of a "see-if-I-can-do" it experiment than anything else. You'd want to be fairly confident with electricity to go poking around inside a PSU though.

Also, giving the PSU a clean-out a couple of times a year might help prolong it's life. Bring it to a garage when you're checking your tyre pressures if you don't have access to a compressor at home. 5 or 10 seconds is all you'll need to blast through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

Just to throw it out there, but can I suggest you check the PSU on its own before you go getting a new one!

I had something similar a while back and luckily nabbed an old PSU from the network guys from where I worked, took the PC apart, screwed it in, plugged it up... powered it on... NOTHING :(

After snooping around, turned out the mobo had just givin up the ghost! Everything else worked, the CPU was fine, mobo just gave in. It was old, very old. But Once I replaced it, put everything back it was fine. I even put the original PSU back!

Just something to consider!

Good luck.

yeah, im going to try the PSU above, if that doesnt work and its the MOBO ill be pissed, since its only 8 months old

• Advertisement

YAY :)

I tried the other PSU and look at me now, posting here with 'ol faithful'

Thanks for all the help guys, off tomorrow to buy a 400w :)

Cheers

Tallon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Question, did that Bestec PSU come out of a HP? Was tidying this evening and came across something exactly like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Tallon wrote: »
    Thanks for all the help guys, off tomorrow to buy a 400w :)
    Buy a Corsair one. 5 year guarantee and if anything goes wrong you just post it back to them and they'll send you a new one free of charge.

Buy a Corsair one. 5 year guarantee and if anything goes wrong you just post it back to them and they'll send you a new one free of charge.

Yeah, the one in the link above is a Corsair :)

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=404885

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lockers55

If you are sending back a psu to corsair.Yes they will send you a new one but you have to pay postage to Amsterdam which costs a fair a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Nope, he's buying a new one. It was the old Delta that gave up the ghost - possibly too much pressure on the 12V rail for too long with that video card in; they're usually dead reliable (which is why Dell and other big boys use them). The CX400 has twice the 12V grunt ;)

Advertisement