Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great day at work until 4pm today

Options
  • 24-02-2010 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I started a new job this week and all was going well until 4pm today. My current position is at graduate level in a quantitative field. I was offered a salary of 22k per year but while browsing the staff intranet today I found out that the entry level salary for a graduate is almost 5k above the salary I will be receiving. The salary page was last updated two weeks before I had my interview and the higher salary is clearly displayed on the staff intranet system.

I'm really pissed off about this and feel that I have been hired on the cheap. The fact that i relocated to the other side of the country at great expense is really pissing me off too.Should I raise the issue with HR?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Oisintarrant

It cant hurt to mention it, but I wouldnt get gunghoo about it.
    If you agreed to the salary you were hired on, then you dont have much say especially as a graduate position. Ive considered doing graduate work for peanuts if it were available.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

It really depends on what way they wrote the offer letter.
    If it specifically said you were being hired at standard graduate salary of XX,000 euro and it turns out standard graduate salary is actually XX+5,000 then you should draw their attention to it and allow them the chance to rectify it.

If however your offer letter simply states you were hired at XX,000 without mentioning any specific grade then there isn't really a lot you can say about it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

I assume you have signed a contract so there is probably little you can do about it. I would print out the list for future reference and use it to get a good pay rise in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

If you can't negotiate a salary then you do not deserve it. Seriously does your mother know you are out? Salaries are negotiable, you match your expectations against their offer. If yours are too hig and theirs too low, no deal. If you do a deal you should not carry on like a child crying " he got more than me", which is all i ever heard my brother say when I was grwoing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Use mood's suggestion in your 6 month review.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Raging wrote: »
    I found out that the entry level salary for a graduate is almost 5k above the salary I will be receiving.
    Congrats on getting the 1.1 degree, as that's what the higher end is usually for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Raging

I have 1.1's in my B.Sc and M.Sc

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I have 1.1's in my B.Sc and M.Sc
    In that case work like hell, and bring it up in your review. Also, I'm surprised you didn't negotiate for a better deal when you were joining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭jenny jinks

Maybe you spent too much time swotting and not enough time learning negotiation skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Raging

Maybe you spent too much time swotting and not enough time learning negotiation skills.

I questioned the salary level before I accepted the offer and was told that there was no room to increase the salary level but that there was potential for significant performance related pay rises next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭jenny jinks

I questioned the salary level before I accepted the offer and was told that there was no room to increase the salary level but that there was potential for significant performance related pay rises next year.

So you were suckered. Better learn how to hardball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Theres pleantly of graduates out there who would kill for a position so keep that in mind before you start complaining.

22k for someone with your qualifications is scabby though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

In the present economic climate, be thankful for what you got. Right 22k is not massive but its a start. My advise would be to work on it, proove to them that your worth the rise in salary and if you are, it wont be long before your employer will have you rising up in the salary ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Marvinthefish

Were you hired to work in a vineyard by any chance? Stuff like this has been happeninng in the industry for over 2000 years : workers in the vineyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

22k is good for graduate starting salaries right now, considering lots of experienced grads are losing jobs on the other end.

Advertisement