Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stove Insert - Excessive Smoke

• 24-02-2010 8:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

I recently got a Green Stove Insert installed. The day before I got the chimney swept and I have never had any troubles with the open fire I had before - standard 16" grate. However, with the Stove I can't open the door to put fuel on it without the whole room, litereally, filling up with smoke. The smoke just bellows out of the stove. I will get back in touch with the people who installed and fitted it but does anyone have any idea what might be the problem. This is the one I installed:
    http://www.greenstoves.ie/pages/green_insert_stove

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Dony

Thats really annoying. Does the stove work and burn away ok when the door is shut?
    At the and of the day its all about the suction/draw form the chimney.
    You really need to find out from the installers first what they think to see if the accidently blocked something.
    They'll probably try to sell you one of those gadgets which you install in your chimney to suck the smoke up.
    You shouldn't need it if your fire was working fine previously!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭celtboy1888

is the air intake on the bottom open?? did the sweep check draught for you when you were present? did you see the amount of soot that came out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

is the air intake on the bottom open?? did the sweep check draught for you when you were present? did you see the amount of soot that came out?

Yeah, both air intakes have been fully open and we get a great burn with the door closed. The sweep commented on how good the draught was and there was a lot of soot removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭celtboy1888

azzeretti wrote: »
    Yeah, both air intakes have been fully open and we get a great burn with the door closed. The sweep commented on how good the draught was and there was a lot of soot removed.

might be air starvation...have you got air vents in room or on the windows? if so open them..to test slightley open the window and see if the problem stays..

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ipod

i have a insert.i installed it myself it burns well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Levi5

I have recently hada green stove 2o kw into our house. We had a stove ther before at it worked perfect, excellant draw from chimney etc. But I am having a nightmare with this one. Each time we open the door to refuel the smoke is bellowing out.. I think from looking inside the firebox its the design of the boiler in it. The only outlet for the smoke is directlyu over the door. the smoke cant get out anywhere else.. has anybody else had this problem. As when the door is closed it has a very good draw and i might at we have lots of hot water and nicewarm rads. tks

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭leitrim1

Hi All

I am loking for help in the worst possible way and at my wits end over a Green 30KW stove. It was installed less than 6 months ago. Initially it seemed fine but then that was summer. I have been on to the supplier and the distributor without much assistance. Our home and our clothes reek of smoke. We have no hot water and the rads barely heat up. It is absolutely eating fuel at an enormous rate. The back plate in the unit is warped from the heat already but the heat is not coming through the system. The Green stove unit itself gets hot but that is all. It was fitted by a plumber that was recommended by the supplier. Its a disaster.

Any help or advice really appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 zumi

I'd recommend having the plumber back to take a look. I've installed an Olymberyl Aiden and it works perfectly, runs 9 radiators and loads of hot water and heat to a big room but the plumber I had was excellent whereas others told me it couldn't be done or it wasgoing to cost me a fortune. If your plumber doesn't know what he's doing go get another.

zumi wrote: »
    I'd recommend having the plumber back to take a look. I've installed an Olymberyl Aiden and it works perfectly, runs 9 radiators and loads of hot water and heat to a big room but the plumber I had was excellent whereas others told me it couldn't be done or it wasgoing to cost me a fortune. If your plumber doesn't know what he's doing go get another.

Hi, The distributor is sending out an engineer on Monday to see what the problem is. Other family members have stoves and only have praise for them. I will have to wait and see the outcome and in the meantime sit in a cold house even with the stove lit. Even the livingroom where the stove is located is cold eventhough there is a big fire in it. Hopefully its something minor. Thanks for your reply.

It looks like exactly what you said, the plumber did'nt know what he was doing. The distributor engineer call today and was very helpful. Within seconds of arriving he pointed out to me where the plumber had assembled the inner baffle plate of the stove in the wrong place. He refitted it and gave it a quick clean. Then we lit a fire. No smoke problems and loads of heat in the rads and the room. After a short while there was enough hot water to have a shower. We never had that before.

Moral of the story : check out your plumber better than we did. I am now going to get a different plumber to check out the complete installation.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 zumi

That's great news, glad to hear you got it sorted and that it was a simple fix.
    I'm not an expert but from my own experience a bit of advice for anyone reading this is if your installing a boiler make sure the top pipe leaving the back of your stove (the one feeding your boiler) is rising at an angle if only by a couple of inches. My plumber told me that if its not (if its parallel to the floor) it'll take ages for your tank and rads to heat.

I'm not an expert but from my own experience a bit of advice for anyone reading this is if your installing a boiler make sure the top pipe leaving the back of your stove (the one feeding your boiler) is rising at an angle if only by a couple of inches. My plumber told me that if its not (if its parallel to the floor) it'll take ages for your tank and rads to heat.

I have no way of knowing if this was done in my case as its all covered in and tiled over. I will suggest it to the next plumber that i get and see if I can find out. Thanks for the tip.

It looks like you may be right as the plumber that I got out suggested raising the tank upwards in the hotpress. He said there was not much wrong in his opinion with the installation but said to do this anyways. I have not been able to use the stove since as there was a part needing replacing due to it been fitted in the wrong place and the importer has sent out the wrong part twice. Hopefully the correct one comes tomorrow.

Ah lads , we are after having to take up the floor and floor tiles and replace the original guys piping. There were 9 right angle solderded bends on about 15ft of piping. We had to raise the cylinder and also install a blow off valve. I'm told we had a potential bomb on our hands. It was an absolute botch job.

Luckily, we got a very decent guy who done a very good job this time and did not rip us off either. In fact, he has told us his amount but refused to take any money until we are happy with the job. Time will tell how good it is but as a lay person i can see what the original plumber(recommended by shop) did was complete crap.

In future, any tradesman that comes around the house will be well vetted from now on. Thanks for all the tips.

Advertisement