Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

typing skills course for 40 yr old

Options
  • 24-02-2010 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Anyone know of a course that would help an 'ould wan' speed up on typing-a 2 finger typist at the mo. Very frustrating!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

spend more time on internet message boards / play an online game and your typing (rage typing) will increase quite quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

mavis beacon taught me how to type just fine, unless you really want to do a proper course I'd recommend that programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭philboy

Don't bother wasting your money paying someone or buying some program. Get the basics with this little tutorial & its free.

Typing Tutor 1
    Typing Tutor 2
    Typing Tutor 3

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭pinc

thanks all
    (What happened to the thanks button?)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ring your local VEC and see what they have on offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭fuelinjection

pinc wrote: »
    thanks all
    (What happened to the thanks button?)

The Thanks button is the little "thumbs-up" at the bottom of each comment.

As far as typing skills go I would take a song you like, or a paragraph from the newspaper. And just type it into a word document and see how fast you do it in.
    Then try and beat your record and do it again.
    Don't worry about the professional secretary typing, just use 4 or 6 fingers to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Carolyyn

There are so many online free typing programmes, I've tried out a few in the course of my work and this is one worth having a look at :

http://www.typefastertypingtutor.com/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭AutumnComission

I have the books Pitman Training use as I am doing a course there if you would like to borrow them? One is for accuracy and one is for speed development . . I have finished with the books but havent actually sat the typing exam yet though so I will need them back at some stage . . p.m. me if interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

VECs generally run free courses in the evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭pinc

I have the books Pitman Training use as I am doing a course there if you would like to borrow them?
    Thanks for that, Autumn Commision but I have enough online links from this post to keep me busy.
    Appreciate it, everyone
    Pinc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

I have the books Pitman Training use as I am doing a course there if you would like to borrow them? One is for accuracy and one is for speed development . . I have finished with the books but havent actually sat the typing exam yet though so I will need them back at some stage . . p.m. me if interested!

Hi AutumComission

I did the typing test years back and have the two folder for the typing. Do they still use the yellow book? As I'm trying to practise my typing skills and I seem to have lost this. Do you have the name of it? Hoping I can order it online:D

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Rylan

I learned to type by placing those sticky dots over all of the keyboard keys and then having a diagram of the keyboard on printed out page. Then start typing out paragraphs by refering to your diagram to find the keys. Ya won't be long learning. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭James G

DRakE wrote: »
    spend more time on internet message boards / play an online game and your typing (rage typing) will increase quite quickly
    This. I've never taken a typing course but I can type ~150 words per minute.

Who said games aren't productive? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

James G wrote: »

Measured how?

That sort of figure would make you some sort of super-being ... this is what wikipedia says about average speeds, and is consistent from what I remember of tests years ago.

An average professional typist reaches 50 to 70 wpm, while some positions can require 80 to 95 (usually the minimum required for dispatch positions and other time-sensitive typing jobs), and some advanced typists work at speeds above 120.[citation needed] Two-finger typists, sometimes also referred to as "hunt and peck" typists, commonly reach sustained speeds of about 37 wpm for memorized text, and 27 wpm when copying text but in bursts may be able to reach up to 60 to 70 wpm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Carolyyn

James G wrote: »

Who said games aren't productive? :cool:

Lord that sounds like a world record ! wonder how your accuracy averages.

Advertisement