Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

knowledge of Irish compulsory in irish civil service?

• 24-02-2010 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hello. I have a question about the Irish language in the public service. I study abroad and one of my lecturers (not Irish, obviously) said that in Ireland one does not need to know Irish to work as a civil servant. I have a strong feeling that this is untrue. Could anyone more knowledgeable please enlighten me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

This article might clear things up. Check the references at bottom of the article for more details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭ciaobellaciao1

Thank you for the Wikipedia link, but I would prefer to rely on a more authoritative source. Perhaps I will call the Irish Civil Service directly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

I believe that Irish is no longer a requirement. However, I also believe that in most if not all competitions for posts in the civil service, extra credit is awarded for proficiency in Irish.

I suggest that if you want an authoritative response, you should contact the Public Appointments Service. Contact details here:

http://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/en/about/contact.do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

Thank you for the Wikipedia link, but I would prefer to rely on a more authoritative source. Perhaps I will call the Irish Civil Service directly.

Try using Irish with them on the phone and you'll quickly find out how non-proficient our civil service is in the language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭uch

Irish is not compulsary in the Civil service, but it carries extra weight when you are applying, you gain extra scoring points at the interview if you are a competent Irish speaker and take the optional second interview in Irish.This is fact as it's the way I got into the Civil service.

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

And why should it be compulsory? There is no one in this country that can only speak Irish, but not English. It's handy if you want to deal with those types that call Public Sector phones and insist on speaking Irish just to be awkward, but apart from that there is no reason. Get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭uch

Get over What ??

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭anneboleyn

IT's definitely not a requirement.. but can get you extra points in an application process . I've just checked this with a friend who is one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭maupat

"....in Ireland one does not need to know Irish to work as a civil servant. I have a strong feeling that this is untrue. Could anyone more knowledgeable please enlighten me? "

One does not need to know Irish to work in the Civil Service. However, in addition to the general exam which forms part of the open recruitment competition one can take a further text as Gaeilge. You can then choose to do the ensuing interview as Gaeilge. Once you join the civil service chances are you will be placed in a divison where you can use your Irish.

You do not earn extra money for being proficient in the language. The only advantage is that, once in the Civil Service, you can complete another Gaeleagras exam which entitles you to an extra 6% in internal interviews.

Unfortunately both open recruitment competitions and internal interviews for promotion are non-existent in the present economic climate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

some of the Older generation in the Gaeltacht's have limited Irish at best should they be not entilted have to have their dealings with the Civil Service in Irish ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

they can - there will be at least one irish speaker in all sections.

not an official policy but just per stats wise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

ReefBreak wrote: »
    And why should it be compulsory? There is no one in this country that can only speak Irish, but not English. It's handy if you want to deal with those types that call Public Sector phones and insist on speaking Irish just to be awkward, but apart from that there is no reason. Get over it.

Sorry, why must they be awkward if they want to speak Irish? What if Irish is their first language? Why should they be forced to use English?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭craoltoir

There will always be people in this country who object to Irish speakers using their own language in their own country and insist that since we can all speak english it is good enough for everybody.

Advertisement