Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harley Import

Options
  • 24-02-2010 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey how's it going,
    I was just wondering please if any one could help me with info about importing Harley Davisons from America.
    I have a friend in america, who can get them for nearly half the price of what they are charging in Ireland at the moment. So I was thinkin of buying one and selling it on here but I heard some stuff about switching emissions, also it has to be insured here for a year before you can sell it on ( I think that there is some law that a bike has to be insured for a year in Ireland first before it can be sold), registering it and transporting it here too.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated and would anyone want to buy a harley
    Thanks
    Sean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Hello SeanSean94

I am a freight forwarder and can give you some guidance on the transportation and customs clearance of Motorbikes.

First of, if you import a motorbike (or any motorvehicle) under a "transfer of residence", you would indeed need to have it registered for 1 year before you would be allowed to sell it on without paying Duty, VRT and VAT. However, one of the qualifications to bring in a bike under transfer of residence is that you must have owned it 6 months and have lived in the country from where you are importing the bike. I reckon that would not apply to what you are proposing.

So, if you intend to bring it in for sale, you will have to pay import duty, VAT and the infamous VRT.

The import duty is 6%, which is calculated over the invoice value plus the freight and transport insurance.

The VRT on a new 750 cc bike is Euro 1100.00. The VRT on a 900 cc bike is Euro 1250.00. Please view this link to establish the correct amount of VRT https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showVRT

For VAT purposes a vehicle is a “new means of transport” when it is less the 6 months old OR has travelled less than 6000 kilometres. Vehicles supplied within 6 months of the date of first entry into service are deemed to be “new means of transport” for VAT purposes even though the vehicle may be more than six months old when presented for registration in the State. The VAT is 21% and is calculated over ;

Invoice value, plus the freight and transport insurance, plus the import duty plus the VRT.

If you intend to make a business out of this, please note you would need to register for VAT. VAT paid on imports is a deductible input, i.e. you can claim it back in your VAT return. You would need to charge VAT over your selling price here in Ireland and remit that to Revenue.

I am not able to comment about switching emissions, i.e. if the bike has to undergo any modification before it would be allowed on the road. Hopefully somebody of our fellow boardsies may be able to comment on that.

Hope this helps you to establish if it is a viable proposition to import Harley's from the US.

Best regards,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...well, I have family in the U.S., and come/go a fair bit, and every time I go over, I have the same conversation with myself.

And every time I do the math, it's not worth it.

For a start, modern Harley's are not 'half the price' over there. Add in shipping, current USD$ exchange rate, etc, as well as both VRT and Customs Duty, tbh, it's not worth the bother.

So I bought one here, instead. In the current climate, there's a lot of nice stuff out there, and you can get a good deal on what were previously 'toys' but which people now need to turn into €€€ for various reasons. It's a buyer's market.

Now older, and imho less desirable stuff, is different, and may be cheaper. But I wouldn't want the hassle of older stuff -too much maintenance for me - the new stuff is fairly bulletproof.

My 0.02, as they say, YMMV etc etc.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

^^^^ What he said.

I am sure that lots of people have thought of this, but it does not add up to profit.

Sorry OP.

OP - don't got me wrong, don't NOT get a H-D. I'm just pointing out you'll do well buying one here. I had a choice of 5 from the shop I got mine in, at the time, and it was the easiest/best purchase I've made in years.

A lot better than my car choices of recent years, tbh.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

one of the shops down near me went over a few years ago and bought something like 25 harleys, he owns a shop so I presume the vat and all that can be written off or whatever ya call it.

• Advertisement

here's an example: http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1065451

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1146793

loads more on donedeal, good bikes, right down to as little as 3k.....

Ode To The Motorist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

never rode an american bike. Wonder what its like to ride a left hand drive bike. :pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Im not sure if it would affect you, but a new bike, to be registered as new here, requires a Certificate of Conformity. Which you simply cannot get for a US bike, privately imported. (Or at least I could never discover a way to get one)

Second hand, this does not apply afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 mattblacktiger

Right now not worth it with the economy the way it is.
    I normally send over about 2- 3 bikes a year mostly older triumphs and nortons , but it has become too expensive and too much of a hassle to bother with right now.I wasn't in for the money just helping some mates out
    Your best bet is going to the UK and buying a harley there but if your doing purely to make money , your better off holding on to your money as not a lot is selling right now unless your giving it away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

galwaytt wrote: »
    here's an example: http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1065451

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1146793

loads more on donedeal, good bikes, right down to as little as 3k.....

That first one looks a bit too low. I'm saving towards another Vrod, having lost an earlier one, so it's interesting if it's legit, particularly as the earlier ones only had 1250 cc through a borekit. I will say that if someone bought a Vrod Destroyer (not a road bike), the US price will still beat anything this side of the pond, though not being a road bike, it helps in that respect.

• Advertisement
Advertisement