Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying my first DLSR..

• 24-02-2010 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

I want to get my first DLSR camera (just a slight upgrade from my Aldi camera), and after browsing around for a while and considering my budget, I think I've decided on the Canon EOS 500D.

Where would be the best place to buy one, and what other things would I need to buy along with the camera?

Thanks to anyone who helps. :pac:

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

You'll usually get the 500D as part of a kit - i.e. complete with at least one zoom lens. That's enough the get started with. The only other accessories you might need at the beginning are a tripod (spend €100) camera bag and a good UV filter for the front of the lens.

As to where to buy, well that's a whole other debate. Bricks & Mortar shops here are always recommended although you will usually find better deals online.

Don't forget to browse adverts.ie here, there's always a bargain to be had second hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

I want to get my first DLSR camera (just a slight upgrade from my Aldi camera), and after browsing around for a while and considering my budget, I think I've decided on the Canon EOS 500D.

Where would be the best place to buy one, and what other things would I need to buy along with the camera?

Thanks to anyone who helps. :pac:

I went through the same process over the last few weeks. I eventually decided that it was a choice between the Canon 500D and the Nikon D5000. The Olympus E-600 from Curry's also looked like an attractive deal.

I bought the Canon in Argos last weekend. The kit including 18-55 IS lens cost Eur 719.99. This is reasonably in line with on-line prices from the likes of Dabs, Pixmania etc. You might get it a bit cheaper on eBay, but make sure you are comparing like-with-like. A lot of eBay sellers are selling refurbished cameras or non-European models which may not be covered by Canon's warranty. You are also likely to end up paying VAT/duty.

First impressions of the camera are pretty good. I need to learn how to drive it properly before I could give it a comprehensive review.

Good Luck with it.

hbr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I am assuming that you have actually held and tried the 500D out for size. If not I suggest you go into one of the brick and mortar shops and try out the Canon, Nikon and other brands to see which you like the feel of most. I'd suggest going with Nikon or Canon as they have the most lens options available but don't let that scare you away from other brands.

Don't buy too much initially. Buy the camera with the kit lens and see how things go. There is no point in spending loads on kit that ends up gather dust because it doesn't suit the types of pictures you are taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭dannyboymed

Thanks a lot for the advice! I haven't actually tried out the 500D myself, because none of the shops near me have it. I have had a little look at the 450D, and I'm assuming it's similar, only slightly better.

Advertisement