Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry Leaving Cert

Options
  • 24-02-2010 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭

I am trying to get a place in UL this year as a mature student and I have spoken to the course prof and he has suggested I may improve my chances by brushing up on my chemistry skills. I need to get this years chem books for leaving and also grinds later in the summer to run me through a mock test in Limerick area. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Well the chemistry book my school uses is Chemistry Live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

Chemistry Live is a great book. Really gives the material in a good order sequence and explains things very simplistically with great diagrams. It comes with a work book that covers the current options on the course and gives exercise questions on each chapter. Great way to revise and study material.
    Its a huge improvement on the purple chemistry book that accompanied the old syllabus.

With that, a copy of the log tables and some sample papers that you can print off the Leaving Cert Materials Archive website, you wont need to get grinds.
    The course on the Leaving Cert is very user freindly now and theres so many website forums to help with questions you may get stumped on.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Rossie17

Best thing you can do for chemistry is go through the book, check definitions for things on the state exam commission website and do the papers. The book has many things that are not correct. Right off the top of my head, the Hess's Law definition in the book will not give you full marks in the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Many Thanks People :)

will make my way to books shop at the weekend... btw good luck if you are partaking in the Leaving this year :D May the points be with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

Rossie17 wrote: »
    Best thing you can do for chemistry is go through the book, check definitions for things on the state exam commission website and do the papers. The book has many things that are not correct. Right off the top of my head, the Hess's Law definition in the book will not give you full marks in the exam.

Really? Didn't know that. Thats a disgrace and the book shouldn't have been approved for publish until such updates were made. Department of Education strikes again I guess.
    But at the same time, I guess this would be the final refining stages of exam technique and familiarizing with past exam marking schemes to acquire the full marks. So for someone like the OP just looking to recap on Leaving Cert Chemistry for college purposes, I think the book is fine. Don't know if you've seen a copy but the old purple book we had before (think it was called Chemistry Live as well come to think of it) was so 1970's style. Organic took up half the book and it was so hard to follow the chapters. This new revision lists the topics of a chapter in sections and its very easy to study with it. Love it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement