Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unknown transaction on AIB current account

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

I sent a written complaint to the Bankcentre last week. They have something retarded like 4 weeks to send me a "Final Response" though before I can go to the Ombudsman. Looks like I really do have to write to Vodafone as well.

I don't see why I shouldn't be able to pursue this in court? The bank agreed to mind my money for me and instead it chose to give it away. If anyone else did this I would have a civil case against them rather than relying on the financial regulator/ombudsman who seem to be bankers themselves. At this point, it looks like costing me so much time I want to get more than just my money back, but some compensation for my time and effort too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

RoundTower wrote: »
    I sent a written complaint to the Bankcentre last week. They have something retarded like 4 weeks to send me a "Final Response" though before I can go to the Ombudsman. Looks like I really do have to write to Vodafone as well.

I don't see why I shouldn't be able to pursue this in court? The bank agreed to mind my money for me and instead it chose to give it away. If anyone else did this I would have a civil case against them rather than relying on the financial regulator/ombudsman who seem to be bankers themselves. At this point, it looks like costing me so much time I want to get more than just my money back, but some compensation for my time and effort too.

I agree that it's not a simple, fast or straightforward process. But the reason I say to not bother with the courts is that the cost and time involved there would be even higher and would likely result in the judge recommending that the formal complaints process should be followed first.

In relation to "The bank agreed to mind my money for me and instead it chose to give it away", the problem is the DD scheme. The bank didn't just choose to give your money away for the laugh etc, a DD request was submitted to you bank and the bank followed it correctly. As I said in an earlier post, the problem originated with Vodafone (who should never have requested the money). The bank, correctly (according to the DD scheme), responded to that request and gave them your money. When you noticed the error made by vodafone 7 months later, you correctly contacted your branch. However, for some reason (you don't say whether or not your branch gave you a reason), your branch has declined to refund your money.

Thus, we are now in phase 2 of the problem. Phase 1 was vodafone screwing up their billing, while phase 2 is complaining to your bank that it is not adhering to the rules of the DD scheme (which put the onus on the banks to resolve mistakes, even if made by the orignator). I agree that 4 weeks is a long time but, nonetheless, I would hope, for your sake, that this complaint will be addressed satisfactorily and the money refunded. By formally complaining to vodafone, you might speed things up on their end (as I imagine, much of the 4 weeks will be tied up with communications between vodafone and AIB). You would also be in a better position should this go to phase 3 (complaining to IPSO that the bank/originator are refusing to resolve the issue).

Phase 4 would be the ombudsman, should IPSO let you down.

As I stated previously, my problem is with IPSO. Ultimately, they are in charge of the scheme, and they need to recognises that the process for dealing with mistakes sucks. Pressure should be put on them to bring in a process that is transparent and seamless (and, ideally, also punishes companies that regularly abuse the DD scheme).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

Skip IPSO and The Ombudsman and go direct to Small Claims Court. You will be making a claim against AIB only. What happens after your successful claim between AIB & Vodafone is none of your concern. You will be down the €15 it costs to claim, but you will have more control over the process than by writing to indifferent staff in AIB/Vodafone/Ombudsman/IPSO.

All this is assuming a negative response from AIB central and Vodafone complaints.

IPSO are like Comreg, toothless and useless, don't waste your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

Negative response from AIB Bankcentre, they once again told me to take it up with Vodafone. They seem very happy for me to take it up with the Ombudsman, presumably because that would rule out court action and the court might be a little less friendly than a cabal of ex-bankers.

I've finally written to Vodafone, even if they send me the money back by next post I feel AIB have something to answer for though. Otherwise I'll take it to the court.

Advertisement