Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork City FORAS Co-Op Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

Cork City have signed Stephen Mulcahy!
    Mulcahy Signs!
    Mar.01, 2010

A versatile defender, Stephen made several Premier Division appearances for Cork City FC last season.

Speaking about the signing, manager Tommy Dunne said: “I’m delighted that Stephen has put pen to paper. He showed his ability last season in the Premier Division, and is a very good signing for us.”

After completing his signing, Stephen told CorkCityFORASCo-op.com: “I am happy to have signed. I worked with Tommy last year and he is a good coach, so I am looking forward to working with him again this year. There are some good players here and I hope that they will sign as well.”

The first of many I hope! :D

Cummins Puts Pen to Paper!
    Mar.01, 2010

A centre-forward, Graham, 22, was a regular on the score-sheet for Waterford United last season, and the club is delighted to have signed another talented, local player. Graham played the majority of his schoolboy football with Tramore Athletic, and also had spells with College Corinthians and Cobh Ramblers.

Commenting on Graham’s signing, manager Tommy Dunne said: “Graham is a very good signing for us. He is a proven goalscorer at this level, and his ability to find the back of the net will be a great boost to us. I expect that we will be in a position to announce further signings very shortly.”

Graham told CorkCityFORASCo-op.com that he was pleased to have signed: “I’m very happy to have signed. I grew up very close to Turner’s Cross, and went to games there when I was younger. I have always wanted to represent Cork in the League of Ireland and this is a great opportunity for me to do so. I am looking forward to the season ahead and our focus now is on the game against Derry on Friday.”

Fantastic signing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Mulcahy is a great signing. A commanding centre half in the Alan Bennet mould.

Hmm,
    Mcnulty
    Mulcahy
    Cillian
    Greg
    Cummins

Thats the spine of a decent side, let alone 1st division side. I may re consider my decision yet.

Nults has signed!
    McNulty Puts Pen to Paper!
    Mar.02, 2010

The Ballincollig native, who joined Cork City FC at Under 21 level nine years ago, joins Stephen Mulcahy and Graham Cummins in manager Tommy Dunne’s squad.

Speaking to CorkCityFORASCo-op.com, McNulty said: “I’m delighted to have signed for the club. This is a fresh start now, and I’m looking forward to getting the season underway. I hope that we can get off to a good start and put a smile back on the supporters’ faces again.”

Commenting on the signing, manager Tommy Dunne said: “I’m delighted to have Mark on board. He’s an experienced goalkeeper who has been on the League of Ireland scene for a number of years, and that experience will be important as we will have a young squad.”

Deasy Signs
    Mar.02, 2010

The 21 year old forward came through the youth system at Cork City FC, scoring the winning goal in the League of Ireland Under 20 League final in January 2009.

Commenting on the signing, manager Tommy Dunne said: “Paul was a prolific goalscorer at underage level, and was a member of Cork City’s first team squad last season. He gained valuable experience training with the first team through last season, and I am pleased to have signed him.”

Deasy, who played his schoolboy football with Ringmahon Rangers, said he was happy to have signed: “I’m very pleased to have signed. I was delighted to hear that Tommy (Dunne) had got the job as I worked with him last season and he worked very well with the younger players. I’m looking forward to the season ahead, starting with Friday’s game against Derry.”

More good news. I thought he should've been given more of a chance last season.

Defender Turner is the Latest to Sign
    Mar.02, 2010

Having played his schoolboy football with College Corinthians and Wilton United, the 20 year old has played at underage level with Cork City for the past few seasons. He was called into train with the first team by Paul Doolin last season, and believes that experience will stand to him.

Speaking after signing, Turner said: “I’ve been training virtually full time for the last year, and the experience of training with the first team at Cork City last year was excellent. I enjoyed working with Tommy Dunne last season, and look forward to working with him again. I am very pleased to have signed.”

Turner can play across the back four, and manager Tommy Dunne said he was pleased with the signing: “Ian did well when he trained with the first team last season. He is another young, talented local player, and I am pleased to have him on board for the season ahead.”
    O’Halloran Appointed Player/Assistant Manager
    Mar.02, 2010

The 29 year old, who can play in defence or midfield, has played for Cobh Ramblers, Cork City, Galway United, Derry City and Shelbourne, and was a regular with Cork City last season under Paul Doolin.

Tommy Dunne said he was pleased to have Greg on board: “I’m delighted to have Greg on board; he’s a vastly experienced player at League of Ireland level and also has significant coaching experience over the last few years. He knows the game at a local and national level and of course he is also a good signing on the playing side.”

O’Halloran has been involved in coaching with Crosshaven AFC in recent years, and sees the role of assisting Tommy Dunne as a natural progression: “First and foremost I see myself as a player, but I have been doing some coaching and this offers me the chance to concentrate more on that side of the game, and I look forward to working with Tommy and learning from him.”

“I’ve played in the First Division before and it is a very tough division. There are some excellent teams, such as Shelbourne and Waterford, but I certainly believe we can compete with everyone. There will be quite a few young players at the club this season, and it will be up to myself and the other experienced guys to help them adapt to this level.”

Ian Turner & Greg O'Halloran :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Greg is a great signing, I'd have him back in a flash for us.

Greg is a great signing, I'd have him back in a flash for us.

Yeah, very happy with signing him. He's still a good Premier Division player and can play pretty much anywhere, plus he's got coaching experience with Crosshaven.

Pure_Cork wrote: »
    Yeah, very happy with signing him. He's still a good Premier Division player and can play pretty much anywhere, plus he's got coaching experience with Crosshaven.

When he was on-loan with us in 2008 he was very solid.

• Advertisement

When he was on-loan with us in 2008 he was very solid.
    What position did he play for ye?

What position did he play for ye?

Very good question, midfield most of the time iirc played kind of a defensive midfield at times. CSF or ones othe other reds might remember better.

Very good question, midfield most of the time iirc played kind of a defensive midfield at times. CSF or ones othe other reds might remember better.

He played mainly centre-back last season for us, seemed to suit him better than left/right back. It looks like he'll be playing centre-mid at the start of this season, he played there against Crosshaven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Played right back for us a good bit IIRC, ridiculously solid player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Defensive centre mid twas yeah. We went to bits that season after he left.

Give us the guts of a €16,000 budget a week and a few apartments and cars and we'll be in the Premier too.

are sporting fingal running the risk of becoming another dublin city?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Depends if NAMA pull their funding or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

No and Namma has nothing to do with it and no amount of wishful thinking by des and his chums will change that and why post about fingal in a foras thread ?
    Dont mind what our Gavin says Tipp as he has been posting the same thing for 3 years now and he is still wrong ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Done deal.
    Bust in 3 years.

Sporting Fingal will be around for a long long time and that i can safely say :)

Hopefully Foras will be to.

No and Namma has nothing to do with it and no amount of wishful thinking by des and his chums will change that and why post about fingal in a foras thread ?

It's NAMA not Namma, and ye it will have very much alot to do with Fingal as Gerry Gannon is one of the major contributors to NAMA. Can you really say you expect the government to allow Gerry Gannon pump money into NAMA when he is about to be part of a group of 10 people about to transfer about €16bn to NAMA? This is where my post saying you don't have clue stems from Stu!

Back to Cork City FORAS Co-OP FC, many off here heading up to Derry on Friday? Fair oul trek up there.

• Advertisement

It's NAMA not Namma, and ye it will have very much alot to do with Fingal as Gerry Gannon is one of the major contributors to NAMA. Can you really say you expect the government to allow Gerry Gannon pump money into NAMA when he is about to be part of a group of 10 people about to transfer about €16bn to NAMA? This is where my post saying you don't have clue stems from Stu!

Back to Cork City FORAS Co-OP FC, many off here heading up to Derry on Friday? Fair oul trek up there.

You are barking up the wrong tree Gav and why do you try have a dig at Fingal on every thread a Fingal supporter posts on ?

€16bn will do us nicely ;)
    We have a sweep going on how many times this year you will mention Fingal and cars and apartments and gannon in off topic posts. You did it a good few times last year so im sure you wont let us down :)

Any chance a mod can move the Fingal stuff into the Sporting Fingal thread in North County Dublin forum. And any chance Pineappl Stu can explain what in the Gods name the post above is talking about!?:confused:

You started the fingal stuff on here and it isnt welcomed on the Fingal thread as you have posted enough wum posts on there to last a life time now give it a rest and stick to the topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭getcover

Whatever about the b*tch fight between the two small clubs in Dublin, its great to be looking forward to the game of the weekend up in the Brandywell.

Should be a relatively straight forward 3 points for Derry, from what I hear, Tommy Dunne is still trying to assemble a team, and it could go down to the wire today.

Ourselves, Derry, Waterford, Limerick, Athlone, maybe even Shels...First Division is where its at this season! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I'd say the first couple of months will be pretty tough for us. Hopefully i'm wrong though. At least we might be able to sign a couple of more players in the summer window. I think Derry will beat us anyway.

There's definitely a bus going up, I wouldn't estimate the numbers but I'd say there'll be a good crowd at it.

In other news, we signed a two-year kit deal with Hummel: http://www.corkcityforasco-op.com/index.php/2010/03/hummel-agree-kit-sponsorship-deal/. We'll be wearing a temporary green, white, and red kit at the start of the season.

Winger Eoin Forde has signed too.
    Forde Signs
    Mar.03, 2010

Cork City FORAS Co-op are pleased to announce the signing of Eoin Forde.
    Eoin is a midfielder by trade, but can also play up front. He has played for Cork City at Under 17, 18 20 and reserve level, having played his schoolboy football with Lakewood Athletic.

Eoin told CorkCityFORASCo-op.com that he was delighted to have signed: “I’m very happy to have signed, as it offers me the chance to progress as a player. I’m looking forward to getting the season underway, and I hope that we can do well this season.”

Manager Tommy Dunne said: “Eoin is a young player who was a regular at underage and reserve level for Cork City over the past few seasons. I’m very pleased to have added another talented local player to our squad.”

Good to see Mullen doing such a great job. Such a shame Arcadia shafted him a few years ago. Club may not have ended up in the mess it went into. His knowledge and contacts are invaluable to any club in the LOI.

gimmick wrote: »
    Good to see Mullen doing such a great job. Such a shame Arcadia shafted him a few years ago. Club may not have ended up in the mess it went into. His knowledge and contacts are invaluable to any club in the LOI.
    It's great to have him at the club alright. He's getting through some amount of work.

Apparently Davin is after signing too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

yup davin has signed. squad starting to take shape. we've the bones of a decent team now. it'll be a pretty thin squad though!

Roar wrote: »
    yup davin has signed. squad starting to take shape. we've the bones of a decent team now. it'll be a pretty thin squad though!

Delighted! He's top class. Fantastic signing. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

He played mainly centre-back last season for us, seemed to suit him better than left/right back. It looks like he'll be playing centre-mid at the start of this season, he played there against Crosshaven.

He's listed as a midfielder on the website

He's listed as a midfielder on the website

Nice one. Didn't know that the squad page had been updated yet.

O’Neill: “I’m delighted to sign!”
    Mar.03, 2010

Cork City FORAS Co-op are delighted to announce the signing of Davin O’Neill.

O’Neill was a regular with Cork City last season after several years with Cobh Ramblers, and he said he is delighted to have signed: “I’m pleased to have signed. I’m delighted to be part of the new set-up and look forward to being part of a successful future for the club. I worked with Tommy Dunne last season and I am looking forward to working with him again this season.”

Manager Tommy Dunne expressed his happiness at securing O’Neill’s signature: “Davin is a quality player who has scored goals at First Division level in the past, and more recently in the Premier Division. I am delighted to have him on board and believe he will be an important player for us this season.”

Heffernan Signs Up
    Mar.03, 2010

Willie Heffernan has joined a number of his former teammates in signing for Cork City FORAS Co-op.

The winger, who can play on either flank, played for Cork City’s youth team last season, and made an appearance for the first team in an EA Sports Cup fixture against the Kerry League. He also scored the first goal in the win over Crosshaven last weekend.

Manager Tommy Dunne said: “I am very pleased that Willie has signed for us. He is another young, local player and I am pleased that the squad is beginning to take shape.”

The 20 year-old winger, who played his schoolboy football with Buttevant, said: “I’m delighted to have signed. I’m really looking forward to representing Cork in the League of Ireland, and hope that we will be back in the Premier Division in the very near future.”

Defender Dineen is the latest signing
    Mar.03, 2010

Defender John Dineen has signed for Cork City FORAS Co-op.
    The 20 year-old central defender played for Cork City at underage level before moving to UCD on a scholarship last year.

John, who played with Kingdom Boys in his native Tralee, before signing for Belvedere Boys in Dublin, said: “I’m very happy to have signed. This is an exciting opportunity for myself and the other young players who have signed, and I am looking forward to the season ahead.”

Manager Tommy Dunne expressed his happiness with the signing, saying: “John is another talented young player and I am very pleased to have signed him.”

Admir Softic Returns to Leeside
    Mar.03, 2010

Admir Softic has signed for Cork City FORAS Co-op, and the club is currently awaiting international clearance for the Bosnian midfielder.

Having spent a number of seasons with Cork City FC, Softic left Cork in 2008 and signed for FK Zeljeznicar in his native Bosnia. The 23 year-old also had a brief spell in Denmark before returning to Leeside.

Speaking after signing, Softic said: “I’m happy to have signed. I enjoyed playing in Cork previously, and while I enjoyed my spell abroad, I’m very pleased to be back in Cork. The manager is assembling a good squad and I can’t wait for the season to start.”

Manager Tommy Dunne said: “Admir is a big, strong player who will be a good physical presence for us. He has experience of the league having played for Cork City previously, so I am confident he will be a good addition to the squad.”

Italian Defender Emiliano Signs
    Mar.03, 2010

Italian defender Samuele Emiliano has put pen to paper on a contract with Cork City FORAS Co-op. The club is currently awaiting international clearance for the 25 year-old.

The full back, who previously played for in Serie C & D in his native Italy, told CorkCityFORASCo-op.com that he was pleased to have signed: “I’m very happy to have signed for the club. I have enjoyed the training in my first few weeks in Ireland and I am looking forward to the start of the season.”

Expressing his happiness at the signing, manager Tommy Dunne said: “Samuele came in on trial a couple of weeks ago and has impressed. He’s physically strong, he’s quick and he’s good passer as well, and I believe he will be a good signing for us.”

:D

And another
    Declan Edwards Signs
    Mar.03, 2010

Dublin-born Declan Edwards is Tommy Dunne’s latest signing.

The 20 year old today signed for the season, pending international clearance, and Dunne is pleased to have added the forward to the squad: “Declan was on trial with Shamrock Rovers in pre-season and scored a few goals for them, but their budget meant they were unable to offer him a contract. I hope he will settle in quickly and believe he is a good addition to the squad.”

Declan, who previously played for Stockport County and also had a spell on loan with Galway United, said that he is happy to have signed: “I’m very pleased to have signed, and I’m looking forward to meeting the rest of the squad and to getting the season underway. I’m pleased to have signed for such a big club and look forward to working with Tommy Dunne.”

Also, here's a video of one of our more exotic signings, Samuele Emiliano - "Sammy":

I saw a bit of him in pre-season and he looks a good player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Nice squad coming together, delighted to see Davin signing. I'd imagine there would be a good crowd in Derry on Friday, the club are running a bus and an offer on a hotel. Looking forward to it :)

I think Dan Connor has reached legendary status with that e-mail :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Thats brilliant news, thanks for the updates pure_cork!

What email RebelRockChick?? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

What's happened to Roddy? Is he back plastering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Thats brilliant news, thanks for the updates pure_cork!

What email RebelRockChick?? ;)

The one in the link at the bottom of the post. It's a classic, I hope it's real and not some hoax.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    What's happened to Roddy? Is he back plastering?

He'll be plastering himself all over MNS!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Lollymcd wrote: »
    The one in the link at the bottom of the post. It's a classic, I hope it's real and not some hoax.

Nice poem!

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Nice poem!

Ha ha! Didn't notice that!!! I'm a poet and I don't even know it!

On the football side, the Cork squad is really shaping up, could be a real threat in the cup and well as the First Division.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Did any of ye see the headline about the "Sponsor A Player"
    Its a pretty good idea and at least you get something back from the club but I think 200 euro is a bit much.

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    Did any of ye see the headline about the "Sponsor A Player"
    Its a pretty good idea and at least you get something back from the club but I think 200 euro is a bit much.
    I thought it was good value. Cheaper than most (if not all) other clubs too. You'll easily get businesses involved at that price. They'll have a presence in the match programme and on the website for a year.

Lordan Appointed Club Captain
    Mar.04, 2010

Cillian Lordan is the latest signing for Cork City FORAS Co-op, and has been appointed club captain by manager Tommy Dunne.
    Lordan, who has been a League of Ireland regular with Cork City for a number of years, has lined out in a number of positions in defence and midfield.

The Ballincollig native also captained Cork City’s Under 21 side to consecutive Under 21 League titles, and said that he is pleased to have signed: “I’m delighted to have signed and I am looking forward to working with Tommy. It’s great that FORAS have come in to ensure that senior football continues in Cork, and I look forward to working alongside them also.”

On being awarded the club captaincy, Lordan said: “It’s an honour to captain the club, and I was very happy to have been given the captaincy. There are quite a lot young players in the squad this season, some of whom have never played in the League of Ireland before, so it’s up to myself and the other experienced guys to help them adjust.”

Commenting on the signing, Tommy Dunne said: “I’m delighted that Cillian has signed and that he will be our club captain for the coming season. He is an excellent professional with great experience in the League of Ireland, and will be a great asset to us. We have a lot of young players in the squad, and it will be important that Cillian and the other senior players in the squad can help them benefit from their experience.

Dave Rogers Signs
    Mar.04, 2010

Dave Rogers has signed for Cork City FORAS Co-op.

The defender, who has previously played for Shelbourne, Derry City, Carlisle and a number of other clubs in England, Scotland and Holland, joins after a spell with Lisburn Distillery in the Irish League.

Manager Tommy Dunne expressed his happiness with the signing, saying: “Dave is a very experienced player and a good professional. The fact that he can play in central defence, or at left back gives us options in defence, and I am very pleased that he has signed for the club.”

Rogers, who has also taken up a coaching role with Bandon AFC, said: “I’m very pleased to have signed. I’ve been in Cork for the last few weeks, training with the lads and I have really enjoyed it. Turner’s Cross was always my favourite away venue when I was with Shels, and Greg O’Halloran is a good mate of mine as well so I’m looking forward to working alongside him again.”

“This is a new start for me, and also for Tommy as manager and for FORAS as owners of the club. It’s an exciting challenge and I look forward to being part of it and making this a successful club.”

Rogers signing makes me feel sick. Always despised the f*****.

Delighted Lordan has been made captain. Probably the most under rated player by Citys own fans over the years, despite him putting in decent shifts all across midfield and defense. He will do damage in the pit that is Division 1.

There are now 18/19 players, and I think looking at that squad, its a squad which would finish comfortably mid table in the premier, so should definitely challenge for promotion this season.

Its going to be a tough one, as Derry, Shels and Waterford all looks fairly strong also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

The squad is shaping up nicely. Good to see O'Halloran and Lordan stick around. I assume all players are on a part-time contract at best?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Can't believe Dave Rogers has signed, always ripped the piss out of him even though he is a good enough player. Good to have Killian Lordan, The back 4 will be very experienced. Nice to see Lordan appointed Captain aswell although I thought it would go to Greg O' Halloran or Mark McNulty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

lol @ the scouser.

Another badge to kiss. :rolleyes:

I always admired Softic, think he's a decent player.

I'm happy enough with signing Rogers. It'll be good to have a character like him at the club and his experience will be important too with a young squad.

The squad is shaping up nicely. Good to see O'Halloran and Lordan stick around. I assume all players are on a part-time contract at best?
    Yeah, part-time. I think we have a similar playing budget to mid-table First Division teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭getcover

Rogers experience will be a major asset, and he is a bit of a character.
    Gutted I'm going to miss our first ever competitive game :(, but I can feel the excitement building already.
    It's going to be f**king emotional walking into the Cross next week...
    CLUB OWNER! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

Any Munster Senior League players signed up?

• Advertisement
Advertisement