Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Former dell workers got their cake and now they want ice cream too!!

Options
  • 24-02-2010 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Former-Dell-staff-picket-FAS.6101904.jp

This is a bit of a joke in my eyes.. they not only want money for retraining but they also want the dole as well along with the redundancy packages they already received (i wonder how many spent that on retraining)!! I lost my job (not at dell) and got absolutley nothing.. Whos gonna give me money to be "retrained" for a job that is not there in the first place.. Can someone tell me why besides media reasons the ex dell workers are even getting this fund? Is there a fund for us the non dell unemployed and if there isnt why not?

I bet this money will be squandered by fas and whoever else gets their grubby hands on it..

I think we the non dell unemployed need to organise a picket to have our whinges heard.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

do you not realise it was a carrot just before the lisbon referendum, of course fas etc will take the most of it, you can hardly let the great unwashed handle it, now can you.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

flutered wrote: »
    do you not realise it was a carrot just before the lisbon referendum, of course fas etc will take the most of it, you can hardly let the great unwashed handle it, now can you.
    That's true, better give it to people who can squander it on frivilous trips to the states and certifications that will never be recognised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

And dont forget the 600,000 euro tv ad that was never even aired!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Fully agree with you Stab, this article is a joke. It's very sad that these people have lost their jobs but AFAIK (and please correct me if I'm wrong) the redundancy package in Dell was quite good, which is a lot more than can be said for a lot of other people that have been let go over the past few months.

Why should they be treated any differently to any other unemployed person?

I lol'ed at that Hinchey character saying: "People were messed about in Dell for 18 years.." Not sure he would have said that 2 years ago :rolleyes:

These people's time would be better spent trying to get to grips with the reality of the current unemployment situation instead of forming what appears to be a powerless association.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Firstly... I'd like to point out that I am not an ex Dell employee....

Yes they all got a redundancy package.. and rightly so! This doesn't mean that they shouldn't be entitled to their social welfare (I'd like to point out that they are not claiming dole... they are claiming stamps that they have been paying for the last few years!)

Quite alot of these people have only ever worked in Dell and therefore have no qualifications outside of this and no other work experience! So why shouldn't they be allowed to have some retraining!

That's not to say that non Dell related people shouldn't get the same thing but rather that give out about what Dell employees got.... why don't you see who you can contact to see if you can get some aid also! You have to keep in mind that there is probably 8000+ people who have been effected by the closure of Dell and all are in the one region so something had to be done to try and get these people retrained and hopefully back into the work force!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Couldnt agree with you more munster gal. The point I was making is that there are a lot of people out there that got the minimum redundancy and I don't see why a former Dell employee should be treated differently than any other unemployed person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

IMO I think the government are trying to overcompensate for the big feck up that they made on their part. they allowed an entire region to be solely dependant on one company for employment for the last 15 years! I don't see where there has been any effort to attract other large companies into the area (Shannon Industrial Estate is like a ghost town with over half it's facilites empty!)
    Unfortuntely for people in the area, Dell's timing was awful coming at the same time as the big R. I do agree that the fund shouldn't be specifically for Dell related employees but the only way to get people voices heard to to approach Ministers etc about it (Willie probably would have been the best one to approach but sure... another government feck up! :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭phill106

Well they seem to have gotten the ok for funding anyway. I just started a night course, and half of them if not more are ex-dell. Course was delayed a few weeks until they got the funding confirmed.
    I dont begrudge dell workers access to the fund, but wish it had been accessible to me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Two sides to this:

1. Fas won't hand the money out for (Some) private courses. They are absolutely right in this, any gob****e could open a private college and offer courses in how to pick your toenails or cross the road safely. If their were no restrictions on the quality of courses you could see a few enterprising individuals setting up some fairly dodgy offerings. Their have to be restrictions of some kind. Privately I think a lot of the people who were protesting will not be happy until some cash from this fund is handed directly to them.

2. Journalistic quality, the story in itself of the protest was worth carrying in the paper but the angle taken by the Leader is a bit populist. Fas are at Fault here for not commenting.

Advertisement