Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Workplace Bullying

Options
  • 24-02-2010 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

I just wanted to see if anyone else had a similar experience to me with this type of incident? I previously worked for an unnamed company for three years as an assistant manager and then at the height of my career transferred to their Dublin branch when I got engaged to my partner.

I did this with the idea like every girl of buying our first house together near both of our workplaces, as travelling back and forth to Dublin for the weekend to see him was becoming a bit of a bother to say the least... However when I transferred to the Dublin branch of the company as staff, I was oppressed and degraded by my manager to the point where I honestly used to go home crying every single day.... And sometimes during my break too.

Of course my previous manager in the other branch was appalled by this to say the least as I had always been a very valued member of staff and told me to file a report straight away but I was too intimidated to do anything at the time. To cut the story short the woman in question made things as difficult as possible for me, even giving me a pay cut without informing me and eventually made sure she did everything in her power to get me fired which at the time felt like a blessing!

Luckily for me my husband to be had just gotten quite a substantial promotion just before I got fired (unknown to my boss of course whose intention was to see me suffer) which enabled us to still be able to pay the mortgage on our new home and survive. Something which I definitely wouldn’t have been able to do if I was on my own. I just wonder if anyone else has been in this same situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Dear OP that sounds horrendous and you have my sympathies. Thankfully I haven't come across this. I just wanted to post my support for you.

I think you should file a complaint. I know there's two sides to a story but if your previous manager thought you were exemplary and told you to file a complaint then something isn't right. Is there any way you can still file a complaint against this woman? Chances are she's done and is doing this to someone else.

Fight your corner (easier said than done I know) and get references from your colleagues previous to your transfer. If management have any cop on they'll sort this out. You never know, someone else might have complained against this person and perhaps something could be done.

You never know filing a complaint could be good for you - readdressing the balance, making up for how bad she made you feel.

Good luck OP and keep the faith. Sit down and document everything and send it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 2tlvogueaddict

Thanks so much for your support; I regret not taking my other managers advice and filing a report against her every day, not for my benefit but for any other new staff members who may be put through the same thing as I was. Another member of staff handed in her notice a few weeks after my departure with no other employment lined up and is now unemployed. And I just think nobody should be made to feel like that.

At the time however I was so upset by the whole thing that I thought filing something against her would only make her behaviour towards me even worse, it’s sad to say because I was someone who loved my job but the day I was let go I was delighted to just get away. I have lost all the confidence I had in that field since it happened and am back in college at the moment working towards another degree in a different sector.

During my disciplinary I was in a room both with the woman in question and our area manager, I felt this was deliberately to intimidate me into not appealing their decision as anything I said had to be said in front of her, and to be perfectly honest at that stage I was sick of going home in tears everyday so I just wanted out.

Needless to say my previous manager was disgusted that I didn’t fight it, even though I had gotten to a stage where I didn’t want the job anymore. I just wonder if it’s too late to do anything as this whole incident happened around last summer... I’d hate to think of this happening to another girl hence why I wanted my story out there to urge other people to always appeal, even if they don’t want the job anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭eejoynt

if you check on the nera website you will see that there is a period of six months within which you can lodge a claim via a form 51A which you can download

Advertisement