Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reseach Study for Final Yr Project: Need arena, riders & horses

Options
  • 24-02-2010 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Reseach Study for Final Yr Project: Need arena, riders & horses

Hi all,

I'm a new member here. I'm a final year animal science equine student & I'm doing a research study for my final year project. I am going to measure the effect of rider kinematics (studied movement) on the performance of competition horses over a single fence.

I will be advertising shortly to recruit riders and horses. We will be using 6 riders and 4 horses.

I am self-funding the study and looking for an arena (preferrably indoor for equipment safety) to hire on the 21st of March (Sunday) as close to Dublin/Wicklow as possible. It needs to be big enough for a horse to get a good approach and getaway from a single fence on the long side.

The riders will be wearing sensors monitoring their movement and the jumping will be recorded using video capture. The changing of equipment from each rider will be quite time consuming hence I require the arena for the day.

The study will be submitted for publishing and the yard will be acknowledged for the use of its facilities.

All riders will sign a disclaimer form and the equipment will be covered under the UCD policy.

If anyone can help please let me know. I have already tried Brennanstown, Festina Lente and a few private yards. I am waiting for replies from several other yards too.

Thanks,

Emma

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

You may have more luck if you aim for a weekday as RS tend to be busy on a Sunday and a lot of livery yards hold competitions.

Do all the horses/riders have to be at the same level?

It sounds very interesting wearing the sensors.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭fits

Boswell equestrian in Ashford have several arenas so I'm sure they could spare one for hire. I'd try them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Perhaps try Carrickmines?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Bellemz

Have emailed both Boswell & Carrickmines & waiting for a reply.

As for riders, I will only be accepting riders who have experience jumping courses of 1m20 or higher as we will be jumping 1m20 on the day. If you're still interested, PM me & I'll email all the info on to you.

Looking for horses aswell...

Also I'm waiting to hear back from UCD's Insurance Broker, if (worst case scenario) they don't cover it does anyone know where to start about getting a policy to cover horses and riders for a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

dont know if you found an arena and i know its past the date you have posted but just to suggest rathfarnham equestrian? i keep my horse there and we have could supply arena(indoor!) horses and riders!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Bellemz

Hiya,

Thanks for your reply.

The study took place a couple of weeks ago in Spruce Lodge, Redcross and it was a huge success :-)

I'll keep that in mind if I decide to do an expanded version in future.

Advertisement