Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baxi Gas Boiler - Fan Assembly Sticking?

• 24-02-2010 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Hi There! My Baxi Solo 3 40 PF failed a couple of days ago and I just got it to successfully restart by using WD40 to lubricate the Fan Assembly (Baxi Part No. 246051) which could only barely be forced to rotate beforehand.

- Suggestions from the Forum that led me to diagnose this are that this will fail again shortly (matter of months) as now the bearings are no longer properly greased? I noticed though on Ebay Auctions and UK Plumbing Supply Sites that this part ships from new with a tube of silicone lubricant?

Is there any way I can recondition this fan assembly myself? My local Plumbing Supplier (Heat Merchants) expects me to pay €338 despite the fact that the going rate seems to be £114 in the UK - Ignorant Thieves - I will never buy so much as a washer off the profiteering Cnuts!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

The internet is always going to be cheaper than shops here in ireland.
    You won't find parts as cheap in the UK in bricks and mortar as you will online.

Be aware that even though it's your own boiler ,regulations still apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭youtheman

I had a problem with the fan on my Potterton boiler some years ago (before I upgraded it to a condensing boiler). In fact everone in the estate had the same problem.

I became an expert in the boiler (through necessity). I oiled the fan bearings and it would run for six months, but the next time it would only run for 3 three months, and so on. It got ridiculous in the end and I would have to remove the cover and oil the fan before I had breakfast.

I relented in the end and replaced the fan (and here is where I get to the point). The new fan was significantly different from the old fan in that there was a big 'heat sink' (in the shape of a disc) on the end of the shaft. This (I presume) was designed to prevent the bearings from overheating and sticking.

Have a look at the existing fan and see if it is the old design or the new design (with heat sink). If it's the old type then you should save yourself the hassle and upgrade/replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Thanks Folks

Yeah, I don't really have any business in there to be honest, was comfortable enough to pop the case and check the fan for resistance.

Re. the Fan Assembly and heat dissaption - mine is actually the below design - I had assumed that the top mini-fan was there to provide airflow within the case, but perhaps it's as you say and more to cool the body of the fan?

- Am going to source a new one as cheaply as possible and get it fitted - If anyone has used a Supplier anywhere online or otherwise that they'd recommend please send it on.

Finally re. Heat Merchants prices - their mark up is extortionate in my opinion, no matter what way its reasoned out.

P0248002.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12 oldbill09

have had same problems with Glowworm Fan - oiling etc. New one costs same here and UK - plus postage €25. Company in UK does recons - look at www.cetltd.com. Have got boards done and they are first class and worth it. Some other UK firms also do but not easy to deal with.
    Has anyone tried replacing fan bearings? Thats what the recons do. Seems fairly easy.

Advertisement