Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My GSD is terrified of his new pet carrier!

Options
  • 24-02-2010 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭

Can any experts out there please advise me how to get my 1yr old male GSD to accept his new pet carrier?

I had to buy it for transporting him around for health and safety reasons and to stop his hair getting everywhere in the car :(.

When ever i show him the carrier he runs a mile and gets all scared.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I would start off using it in the house, with the door off or as wide open as you can get it. Is it a wire crate or a more enclosed aircraft type one?

Put his toys in there, with some bedding and some treats, let him discover it by himself. Feed him in there as well, so that he gets used to going in it for nice things. Don't force him into it otherwise he'll never trust it. It may take you a while, but you need him to feel totally secure and happy in there, only then would I put it in the car and try and get him into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Thanks for your advice that is what i kinda guessed to do but there have been two occasions where i forced him in as i was rushing and looking back on it he was so terrified to even more while inside it. :(

Its actually the more enclosed one mainly plastic and just the small windows on sides and front.

I got this one as its sturdy and i found one on the net in the UK that was very reasonably priced and worked out same price as a basic metal crate in the Irish pet stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Thanks for your advice that is what i kinda guessed to do but there have been two occasions where i forced him in as i was rushing and looking back on it he was so terrified to even more while inside it. :(

Its actually the more enclosed one mainly plastic and just the small windows on sides and front.

I got this one as its sturdy and i found one on the net in the UK that was very reasonably priced and worked out same price as a basic metal crate in the Irish pet stores.

Its not the end of the world, sometimes life gets in the way of our brilliant plans:D I'd still do the treats and food thing, he'll hopefully come to realise that nothing bad ever happens in there, so theres nothing to fear. Do you drive anywhere to walk him? That could be another incentive, he comes to learn that everytime he goes in it, he gets a walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Yes i used to take him on a variety of different walks that all took a drive first.

He used to always get so excited when he saw me going to the car or van but now with the carrier in the back and with my new rules of not letting him have a free reign in the vehicles he won't come near the vehicles so recently he only gets local walks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 clevercanines

ISDW said exactly what I would. Keep it positive as much as possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭boardbrowser

you will have to do a bit of work conditioning him to the crate before he will happily jump into his crate when it's situated in the car.
    like other posters have suggested easy does it.
    Try positioning his food bowl near the crate (maybe 8 ft at first, then gradually moving it closer) and letting him eat the food. a little at a time start moving it closer to the entrance of the crate, until you can place bowl inside the crate and have him eat.
    Inability to eat is a great litmus test in so far as how stressed he is becoming so if he stops eating as you move the bowl closer he is signalling to you that he is way past his comfort zone.
    Prevent door from closing or moving by securing it stays open with twine. dogs get awfully suspicious if door is swininging around.maybe take door off to begin with.

i'd also consider placing a blanket towel on the crate floor and the step into it again to make it appear less scary.

Yes, putting a high value chewy inside like a pigs ear or equvillent will over time condition him to want to investigate the crate.
    also, when he feels more comfortable with approaching and investigation use a little reverse physcology by placing extra high value chewy or treat inside the crate, close crate door and allow him to investigate but don't open the door for about a minute.
    Jedi mind trick him into thinking he really wants into the crate.after he is gunning to get inside, open door and let him explore.

also, move the crate into different locations once he is happyily going inside and outside. That means indoors and outdoors with the idea of maybe placing the crate in the car initally and having him only sit on the back seat (not confined inthe crate).

If all fails and he is destesting it and missing out on fun travel trips there is always the option of a waterproof cover that covers the back seat and back rests. a seat belt with harness with keep him safely secured.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The poor fella, my little dog hates the crate in the car I must do the same to make her more relaxed. She was fine with travelling until we got a crate eventhough as a pup she loved her crate when it was in the house.

I'm going to get her a car harness and see if that works better, she just gets so nervous in a crate for some reason.

Perhaps a car harness would be another option for you if your dog doesn't mind it. It should keep the dog in one place although best used with dogs that are calm in the car, I've had dogs houdini themselves out of them before.

Advertisement