Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primal Scream Float Tubing Session

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 RyanHatfield

coolwings wrote: »
    If you never saw float tubes, it's interesting. From the STV TroutNAbout programme.

http://video.stv.tv/bc/scotland-fishing-20080530-float-tubing/
    Link isnt working.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I just clicked on it and it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Aye working fine, god I wish it was april. Thanks for that had not seen it before, must be from a few years ago?

A year and a half to two years ago I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Really! I thought the doughnuts had gone out of fashion long ago.

• Advertisement

They are old designs but still work well. I was looking at the date embedded in the link.
    By the way, the donut tubes are half the weight of the newer bigger tubes. They are very good if you're backpacking to high altitude mountain lakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

i have never done any tubing, i am too lazy and prefer the boat! whats it like on a big lough? is it not risky with the wind we get on the emerald isle???

It's not risky, a boat is far more risky. You can sink a boat from swamping in waves, crack the hull on rocks, or turn a small boat over. Those are all non events in tubes.

In a wind you DO get more exercise rather like taking a longer walk while bank fishing.
    But you won't troll a spoon for ten miles from a tube. It suits slow careful fishing best.

would you not get blown around a bit on a big lough?

Do you take your boat out in a gale?

When I go out in any water craft I make sure the conditions suit the craft in question, or alternatively go to a smaller lake!
    For a tube of the quality I use, with my kicking style, my fins and gear and abilities, a force 4 on a 3 mile long lake is heavy exercise but entirely do-able. Going within any bay will reduce that to a force 3 if I want to relax for a while.
    For a newbie that lake on that day would be an extreme sport!

It's not a 19' Burke and I don't try to do the one job with the other. If you want to troll to find the fish you want a boat not a tube. Same for open water in Mask for example. But open water is not where the fish feed. In a big wind the boat wins if the lake is big.

On a small lake a big wind is required to make the fish feed. The tube is ideal for that.

• Advertisement

coolwings wrote: »
    Do you take your boat out in a gale?

no but have got caught once or twice!

Advertisement