Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treats for puppy training?

Options
  • 25-02-2010 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

I am training my Malamute pup, and the biscuit treats I normaly use do not agree with him. Dose anyone have any suggestions o what else I can use? Thanks for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Padjo1981 wrote: »
    I am training my Malamute pup, and the biscuit treats I normaly use do not agree with him. Dose anyone have any suggestions o what else I can use? Thanks for any help

Little bits of cooked chicken, or liver usually go down a treat. Cheese is another one, but you don't want to give too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Satyr_The_Great

ISDW wrote: »
    Little bits of cooked chicken, or liver usually go down a treat. Cheese is another one, but you don't want to give too much.

I was just about to say that, also another one is boiled ham, just make sure it isnt too salty. A piece the size of the nail on your little finger is plenty enough for each treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Bits of kibble can work well if the dog is very food orientated, or little bits of cooked meat (chicken or lamb or beef or pork, just not salted) work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Liver Cake: They will sell their grannies for it.
    1lb liver
    1lb flour
    2 eggs
    2 garlic cloves

Put the liver, garlic and eggs in a food processor - turn it on until its all runny and pink. Add in the flour and mix (food processor might not be the best thing for mixing - I aint no Gordon effin Ramsay)
    Pour the mixture into a baking tray (keep it pretty "thin", half an inch high max) and bake for about 20mins at 180deg.

Take it out, let it cool, cut it into small chunks.
    Makes alot so freeze it, as it doesn't keep very well.

Actually, it might be best to halve the above ingredients as this amount is lots for our two dogs and we get four or five bags out of those amounts.

*Warning* Stinks to high heaven. You've been warned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Nice and cheap option is Frankfurters, €1.50ish for 10 in Aldi, boil or pop in the microwave and then cut up in to small pieces. Dogs love them and the smell travels far, so they know you have them and will be very obedient, keep them in the fridge in a bag and you'll have treats at the ready all the time! I did a recent obedience class (with my dog!!) in the DSPCA and that was what we were recommended by the trainer to use. +1 on the kibble, works very well too, but the Frankfurters really get their noses working!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The soft food is the best they eat it quickly and can move on to the next bit of training whereas with biscuits they'll take ages. Teeny tiny bits of cheese, sausage, ham or chicken (have a bowl of fresh water handy and try to go for the low salt options) only a tiny bit so the dog isn't full too quickly although you should have no trouble with a your pooch.
    Our lad is tiny so he'd be full halfway through training and loose interest lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 clevercanines

I use tinned hot dogs, old penny size pieces halved. Give more than 1 for a big reward.
    Other favorites are CornBeef, sausages, ham, chicken, any nice meaty thing left over from dinner really. Something they dont normally get & soft is always better

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

Thanks for the advice guys. Frankfurters are working well. I will try the cake next week. But the smell thing is putting me off lol

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

You only need a tiny bit of a treat (I was giving way too much at the start)

I use the following:
    - when I cook a whole chicken (for the family, not the dog) I pull off the tiny brown bits from the underneath. Freeze them loose so I can take out small amounts for training
    - Any leftovers of meat from dinner - chopped small & frozen
    - Liver - chop it up small & bake in in the oven at a fairly low temp so it's dried out....and freeze!!

I always have a plastic container with bits in it in the freezer....a shake of it is guarenteed to have her pegging it back to the house if she manages to get out.

I try to avoid things like hot dogs, flour based etc, but my dog possibly suffers from allergies so I try to keep her food as good as possible. I buy Orijen from Zooplus

Advertisement