Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

boards mountainbikers ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭zil

There's a couple of us on here lurking from time to time. You might have a better chance getting more info by making a post on www.epicmtb.com or www.madmtb.com. They're the two main clubs in dublin. I'd like to help you out with the bike recommendation but I'm afraid I've only started mtb a couple of months so I wouldn't know enough to advise you.

With regards to the fork service, www.thebikerack.ie will definitely service forks and I'm 90% sure that www.bikez.ie will aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Enduro

Hi there. 10 years of MTB experience and still alive. Personally, I'd go with the first one. SIDs are really racing forks, and take a lot of TLC. I killed the only pair I ever owned. Fox 100s are super forks. As for the rest of the details.... nothing you'd really notice much of a difference on really. They're both way more than I'd recommend as a minimim spec for starting out MTBing. The key thing is to make sure you get a bike that fits you that you're comfortable to ride... Try one out for size in real life preferably. And for MTBing, err on the small side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

I have a set of the SIDS on my Van Nicholas and find them very good, have no complaints other than I'd say a heavier rider might bash them up (like Enduro said). They are nice and flowy, and quite light. I got a good deal on the SIDS at the time but I would probably go for the Fox 100's if I had a choice. I dont know of anyone services Rock Shox, but I know OC Tuning do Fox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 roc_racer

Have both SIDs and Fox forx on different bikes. SIDs are the Naomi Campbell of forks - light slim and sexy but high maintenance. The Fox is more rugged but is an anchor.

There is an offical RS maintenance center in Galway (1st in the country I believe).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

Fox Forx....one day I'll be able to afford a set....till then my Dukes (RoxShox) suffice :(

I would be very nervous of doing anything but light cross country on SIDs (they DO flex alarmingly)....but then I'm a fat slob :) (approx 100kg...)....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭sgriffin

Thank's for the help lads ;) much appreciated . nice to know im not the only mtbr on here too . i think i will go for the first one , cheaper , as good components and oc tuning are a very reputable fox fork dealer too . so it's an easy choice me thinks ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

well to muddy the water...

have you compared your prices with the same offerings from canyon, cube, and corratec?
    you'll get a lot of bang for your buck around the €2k mark. You'll be well into carbon territory at that range, and I've always erred on investing in the frame rather than the components when buying a full bike. You can always upgrade a derailleur or saddle piece by piece easier than the frame!

yeh thanks for that uberwolf . definately something to think about !

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭tomc

Think blorg has a Focus, he might be able to give you a first hand review.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I picked up a Scott Scale from Slane cycles recently. They have a few 2009 left at a very good discount. Nice bike and looks to be a similar vein to the Focus bikes above

• Advertisement

really like the look of that scott . but really only interested in the two focus's as its a lbs and ill be getting a great deal on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

thread hijack! Any boards.ie mtb'ers fancy a spin tomorrow. I'm totally clueless about the routes from Dublin but keen to learn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

I would go with the first one too, and you will look savage on it :D

@Diarmuid
    I would have taken you up on that but tied up this weekend, however there is a beginner spin on the next sat (6th march) with imbrc
    http://imbrc.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=00c2827a597a6c9a22840ab4c2da6c93&board=2.0
    i will be heading along too if your interested

well it seem's everyones choice is the first one . and i think the shimano and fox are alot easier maintained and serviced . ill be going for that pretty soon so . ill try post a pic up when it arrives . thanks for the help boardsie's :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

Can you say which shop and how much?

I have been looking at these on wiggle recently. I got a Focus road bike last year and I'm very happy with it. Great bike and great service from Wiggle. I don't think you can go wrong with it.

Just to add to the mix, I'll add this.....(Thinking of replacing my 5 year old and 14KG Trek)
    I'm starting to lean towards getting a Canyon instead, Same price, slightly better equipment (Debatable), 1KG Lighter, 1/2 price frame for the life of the bike if it gets damaged, etc :confused: Although their customer service has been been a bit iffy.
    canyonr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Haldir

I am very happy with my Grand Canyon Al MTB. Bought it over Christmas and had absolutely no problems with Canyon customer service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Savin up for a Canyon Al 9.0 as well, they are great bikes, weight/component/price.

@ super freak , im getting the bike from eurocycles and i think its retailing at 1700e . i was going for a canyon myself but am working in eurocycles atm and would probably get sacked if i turn up with a canyon :pac: . i've heard nothing but good reviews about the canyons and focus's so its really your own preference . dont think you'll get a better specced bike than that canyon ;) and at that price ,very nice . best of luck .

@ haldir , great pic bud ;) well wear .

i know this threads months old now, but i've only picked the bike up today. i in the end changed my mind and went for the focus raven expert. the carbon model. havent got to ride it as of yet. but itching to get out on it, just thought ill throw up a pic and see what you's think ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭boomdocker

sweet. thats a pretty racy setup.

lose the bar ends though.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have the 2008 Raven Expert. Lovely bike, rides very well (better than me.)

Yeh I agree those bar ends are a little sissy. But there comfortable and stock so they'll stay put for the minute. Are the 08 and 10 frames much different blorg ? Any problems with yours I should look out for ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

That Raven is a beauty ;)

I went for a "Custom Build" in the end. I got a frame half price and a couple compenents on E-bay and the guys in my club. OEM fork from Merlin.

End result is in I.O.B.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65861756&postcount=2233

I think they changed the frame in 2009; not sure what exactly changed but I think your one looks better, more modern looking. Very happy with mine and no problems although to be honest it doesn't get as much use as it should. I have just got Cane Creek ergo bar ends incidentally as the lack of hand positions was annoying on longer cycles :)

th_raven_01.jpg th_focus_raven_snow.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

sgriffin wrote: »
    Yeh I agree those bar ends are a little sissy.

It's a racey carbon mtb - the whole thing is sissy! In a good way ;). I'd keep the bar ends too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

+2 on the bar ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I think the bar ends look alright..........

So It got it's first ride today. So responsive and fast, rides really well !! The xt gear change is so precise never missed a beat ! Smooooth :D the bar ends are growing on me ? There comfortable all be it on the small side ? Time will tell !! Thanks for the response lads , hopefully I'll see yous on the trails soon ;)

Others more experienced than me have pointed out that short bar ends are less likely to get caught on things.

• Advertisement
Advertisement