Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV Gift Card

• 25-02-2010 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭

I bought an HMV gift card worth €50 from HMV Grafton St. It was supposed to be for my brother but then I came across a Camera at Argos and bought that instead and so went back to HMV to return the card and was told they they don't accept gift card refunds? I told them I myself purchased it and I also had the receipt with me but they still won't take it back saying it is not their policy to take back gift cards. No where did they show or mention this policy when I purchased it.

Is there any way out? I already spent what I had on me and so I need that money back... :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

No. The good isn't faulty, you have simply decided you don't want it, which is your fault not theirs. They don't have to offer refunds when you simply change your mind. Maybe next time don't spend what you haven't got? Some shops may refund you when you change your mind, but they don't have to, they are simply being nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

rash0001 wrote: »
    Is there any way out? I already spent what I had on me and so I need that money back... :mad:

Too bad. You have no rights to a refund, and since HMV won't offer one then you'll either have to sell on the card, give it away, or spend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There's nothing technically wrong with the card - therefore they don't have to offer a refund.

I think that this is quite a common policy with gift cards across retailers - generally refunds are not offered on gift cards. The policy should be written somewhere on the receipt I'd imagine.

I think your best bet now is to sell the card or swap it with someone for cash. Try adverts.ie

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Change of mind is not a valid reason to look for a refund or exchange of an item, there's nothing wrong with the card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

rash0001 wrote: »
    No where did they show or mention this policy when I purchased it.
    It is not really "their" policy, they do not have to do it by law so there is no need to state it, though some might but the choice is theres. The onus is really on yourself to ask before buying items like this.

They might exchange it for vouchers of lesser value say 5x€10 if you wanted to have them as presents again. Sell them on or even ask a cashier if they could take it. i.e. if there was a friendly cashier in HMV they could wait till a customer bought an item for €60 cash, then process your card and had you the customers €50.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭rash0001

Looks like I am out of luck at both ends. Argos too have a policy of not taking returns of Cameras :D Anyway, quite happy with the camera and I'll find something to do with the gift card. I hope HMV have a Wii sale again or something along that line. :)

Thanks to all who posted here.

Advertisement