Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ableton Live Courses in Dublin?

Options
  • 25-02-2010 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Anyone know of any Ableton Live courses in Dublin? Ive looked on google but can only find old links.

Has anyone done any courses before, like weekend courses? Are they worth doing?

Im a beginner to Ableton but Ive used other programs in the past so Ive just been working off some tutorials I found on the net

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭hubiedubie

To start off with I'd use a combination of youtube/vimeo(for practical walkthroughs - there's loads of stuff here) and the manual to refer to (little bits at a time).

You'll save yourself alot of money that way. There are plenty of commercial courses online.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭busttropical

hey, think you can get a bunch of lessons of the site. The manual is handy out like ^^ says

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Realsound

Hey Chloroplast, just checked groove3.com, not bad, although it is still boxing one off on a solo antisocial learning curve. Not that doing so is a bad thing at all but what we offer is a chance to knock heads with like minded people in an informal class vibe. It's a way more stimulating way to learn such a beast of a program. You can have a pint during the lesson too...

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

A few of us in the dublin ableton user group are doing a night in smithfield this weekend...
    bit of a showcase for people making tunes using ableton..

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/event.php?eid=111072592257083&ref=mf

if you want to get down around 7.00 there will be some workshop before people start playing...

i can't make this one myself but there is a good gang involved - we've been doing our own meetups for the past few months -

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

its at this stage id noramlly insert my"quit being a lazy bastard and just start messing around with the programme.if your stuck ask questions on here" rant

but if people want to thow there money away on courses that teach you how to copy and paste like a mofo go right ahead.

i should start one of these "courses" seems like there plenty of people interested in them.
    it also appears that no real qualifications are needed to teach these things.

anyway a question to the op,have you joined any dedicated ableton forums to ask questions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭oootini

i got a start with max/msp recently after doing the included tutorials and plugging away at stuff with various ultra n00bie questions on the excellent max forums.

if i can do that for max, then you can surely get up and running with ableton by devoting a few afternoons and weekends to the mass of online tutorials out there.

and you can mix your own white russians at home for a fraction of the price of a pub.

and smoke big fat joints.

if you want to learn a tool, figure out what you want to do with it and then attempt to do that task...that's the only way you'll figure it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 stereowriter

seannash no havent tried the forum just various tutorials around the net but the problem with some of them for newbies is there isnt anywhere to ask specific questions on that tutorial. guess i just thought some sort of course would be an easier way to get started, at least i could ask questions and get immediate replies.

I will try the forums though and thanks for the advice :D

oootini, gonna give more of the tutorials ago to be honest im completely new to dance/techno/electro/trance so guess i didnt really know what i wanted to learn! cheers for advice as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

even though im banned from here its a pretty good forum for production with no shortage of people willing to answer questions.

www.abletonlivedj.com

sign up and start asking questions.even try asking on here.people are more than willing to help.

i chat on IM with people about production and its been a real benefit so being part of a forum is definitely a great way to meet people and maybe get some tips off people through email or IM.

but you have to contribute to forums.you cant just blow in there and expect to get everyones attention straight off the bat.you need to be seen to be a somewhat active member and not just breezing in and out whenever you have a problem.
    you need to be equally willing to offer advice as well as ask for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 stereowriter

seannash wrote: »
    even though im banned from here its a pretty good forum for production with no shortage of people willing to answer questions.

www.abletonlivedj.com

sign up and start asking questions.even try asking on here.people are more than willing to help.

i chat on IM with people about production and its been a real benefit so being part of a forum is definitely a great way to meet people and maybe get some tips off people through email or IM.

but you have to contribute to forums.you cant just blow in there and expect to get everyones attention straight off the bat.you need to be seen to be a somewhat active member and not just breezing in and out whenever you have a problem.
    you need to be equally willing to offer advice as well as ask for it

well not too sure how much advice id be able to offer anyone! but ill give the forum a go for a start and see how i get on, thanks again man

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭romarr

i agree with seannash's sentiments ... forums and tutorials are a good way to learn... but real world's good too !

through this forum i've been over in members studios (learned loads) and i've tried to return the favor to others who are starting out

There's a nice community of people making music developing in dublin and its easy to get involved, the dublin ableton user group for example http://groups.google.com/group/ableton-group-ireland. sign up, come down to one of the meet ups and ask away... people of all ability are already involved - noobs to seasoned

bodytonic have various things on throughout the year, workshops, presentations and such

go along meet people get involved and you'll be flying before you know it !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Both Realsound and Virtustudios run Ableton courses in Dublin.

http://realsound.ie/

http://realsound.ie/

There is also Pulse, Temple Lane, Ballyfermot etc. The list is endless... Whether or not they do actual Ableton courses or just music production is unclear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Ricey1

Has anyone been to any of these courses? I see Realsound is €120 and Virtu is €360 both for 5 weeks x 2 hour courses
    Would be good to hear from anyone that has attended

We do a lot of projects with Bodytonic including the Beatyard & Artist showcases.
    Here's what a few of our alumni have said.

Feel free to drop us a PM for more info.

I understand in this day and age self up skilling through online tutorials is very possible, but why not meet, chat and share in a community environment. If your new to the game, its an excellent way to network and see what other people are doing at the same skill level.

Starting our MAY ABLETON Module on Tuesday 18th.

Get in touch if you want to get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

... said it before around the gaff but even after teaching myself and working with various DAWS over the years I found it worthwhile doing a short course when it came to Ableton. Different strokes at different times and all that.
    A brilliant Ableton resource I found was Tom Cosm's web site. All very Psytrance but his free sets are a great insight into how Ableton hangs together. That's what I found anyway, and he's a nice guy.

There a still a couple of places for our module starting next Tuesday.
    We will be doing another at the end of the summer so register if you'd like to take part.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 derekjones

old gregg wrote: »
    ... said it before around the gaff but even after teaching myself and working with various DAWS over the years I found it worthwhile doing a short course when it came to Ableton. Different strokes at different times and all that.
    A brilliant Ableton resource I found was Tom Cosm's web site. All very Psytrance but his free sets are a great insight into how Ableton hangs together. That's what I found anyway, and he's a nice guy.

I agree - even though Tom's style of music is not what I like - his tutorials go into just the right amount of detail. Well worth the €15 / month. Pay for 1 month and download ALL the tutorials - they'd keep you going for a while.
    D

Advertisement