Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 10MB BroadBand Problem...

• 25-02-2010 2:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭

Started using this today, though it's been in the house for a few months now.

Went to download a file from MegaUpload.com, and could only manage a DL speed of 165kbps... Done wireless & wired, no change? Speedtest says 9.87 mb, & pingtest says my line quality is A, with 17ping 7 jitter?

When i was on irish broadband 3mb i could manage 300+kbps?

Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Megaupload limits the download speed of files for non paying customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Yeah i know about MU Premium, but it caps at 500kbps. When i was on 3mb, i could get 380kpbs, and now that im on 10mb, the cap should come into play. But instead im only managing 165kbps. Its not only for MU either, its for ANY download...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

PM sent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

so, are upc limiting MU ? I'm not a premium user of MU, but I can only get about 12 kB/sec, worse than useless ...

UPC throttle speeds on sites like MU, Hotfile...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Is that true or just an assumption?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Rebel021 wrote: »
    Is that true or just an assumption?

totally agree with post made by "LaughingJoker91", UPC are well known amongst the community ;) for throttling MU and HF, why I cannot say for sure, maybe not intentional.

I was on RS, and when downloading from MU and HF on the free service i had slow speeds like 12 kB/sec, i bought premium and the speeds were still below 50 kB/sec (this I noticed only started about 6 months ago), i went back to RS (premium) as i can get 1.78 mB/sec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

I've noticed a lot of throttling on Fileserve, MegaUpload (including megavideo) and also Hotfile. Rapidshare is throttled to a certain extent, but I have noticed that if I download more than one file from RS at any one time, it equals my total bandwidth, so it doesnt bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

That is a pretty broad statement and I would love to know what proof people have of this besides people on boards just assuming it is true. I have been on hotfile and rapidshare in the last 48hours and I am getting 2.5mb/sec+ on a 20mb line.
    I'm not saying people aren't experiencing issues I just don't think there is a blanket throttling of sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Ronan wrote: »
    That is a pretty broad statement and I would love to know what proof people have of this besides people on boards just assuming it is true. I have been on hotfile and rapidshare in the last 48hours and I am getting 2.5mb/sec+ on a 20mb line.
    I'm not saying people aren't experiencing issues I just don't think there is a blanket throttling of sites.

There has been plenty of discussion on this.
    An ex-colleague of mine who works in UPC did claim to me that speeds are throttled for certain applications.
    In my own experience, I receive my full download speed when downloading something from HEAnet, yet recieve a lot less when downloading files from the sites I listed previously.

• Advertisement

Ronan wrote: »
    I think its probably something to do with what the bandwidth usage of your area is like. I never get good download speeds on sites like above on 20Mb...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 F S

Ronan and Rebel021, The proof is that before christmas MU, Megavideo and Fileserve worked great on non-premium accounts. Now you would be lucky to get a max speed of 150 kb/s. If you get a friend on a different isp to try downloading the same file at the same time they will get speeds of around 500 kb/s (5mb connection).
    This is also (for me anyway) not about exceeding your monthly download limit. I could understand if they throttled speeds for people who exceeded their limit but i dont and also am not a heavy downloader and dont use torrents.
    The issue it seems from reading posts is that it doesn't seem to be a network wide policy from UPC for its users, as some people seem to still be getting good speeds. So the question is does anybody have any idea why its applied to some areas and not others? Any solutions? Did anybody contact UPC about it and get an answer or solution? I of course could ring UPC but dont want to waste 1/2 hour waiting to get through (and most likely be told its not going to change, live with it) if someone else already has.
    Lastly, with all this throttling of various sites it makes me wonder why people pay for 20 or 30 mb connections when a 10mb connection will give you for vast majority of what you do on the internet the same speed, as in sites such as mu, youtube or just general browsing/reading, and cost you less.

Advertisement