Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lots of questions.

• 25-02-2010 7:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭

ok sorry if this is a bit longwinded... Ok first off I'm 25, 6ft and 80kg.

Before Xmas i joined the gym and went for 10 weeks straight before heading home for Xmas & New years ( i live in Oz) It took me a few weeks to get the hang of it and have correct form on the free weights but after the 10 weeks I noticed alot of changes. The thing is, although I was gaining muscle and getting fitter all round I wasn't exactly watching what I ate and was drinking heavily at the weekends (which would effect my workout on a monday or tuesday). I was doing a full body workout over 4 days and one 4k run a week. I then went home for xmas for 7 weeks, didn't really train at all and did the usual piss up for christmas.

Since coming back to Oz I've rejoined the gym (i've just finished week two) but this time I want to have a proper go at it so I've given up alcohol completely, cut out fried foods, all bread is now wholemeal, all milk is now low-fat etc. etc.

So here's a typical week in the gym
    Mon: Arms
    Tues: Chest & Abs
    Wed: Back & Shoulder
    Thurs: Legs & Abs
    + One 4 - 5 k run

When lifting weights i do 3 sets of 12 reps. This is one thing i'm not too sure about. Is 12 reps a good number? What's the norm? I'm not exactly looking to gain lots of muscle more-so shape it (going for the fight club look!) Is that how it works though? Lower the reps and up the weights to gain more muscle?

A typical days diet would be:
    Pre work out: Special k plus banana
    Post work-out: A chicken or tuna and salad sandwich on wholemeal.
    Snack: I snack alot, it could be beans on toast, poached eggs, peanuts, fruit, youghurt.
    Dinner: Usually meat and steamed veg. Or Spag bol or something like that.

Is there any foods i should avoid? is it still ok to have toast and a glass of milk for instance whenever i feel like it? Even when eating healthy foods, can you eat too much ?
    Is one days cardio enough or should i be doing two 4k runs a week even though i'm not trying to lose weight?

Another thing i'm clueless on. Supplements. I see everyone in the gym with shakes. I've heard some of the pro's on using these but are there any cons?

Is twice a week enough for abs? Could I be doing more at home?

Ok i think that's the lot, any replies appreciated. Sorry about all the questions!

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭bubblyone

Sorry-running out the door so don't have time to respond properly! You can overeat "healthy" foods if you don't watch portion sizes... This video got me weighing and I was miles off!http://www.tomvenuto.com/articles/shocking_fat_loss_video.shtml Nuts are a good snack but the portion size is something like 10 almonds. They're around 600 calories per 100g. And that's just a little bag!
    Full fat milk is a decent source of protein but the calories will also add up quickly. Wouldn't really go for toast either-you don't need the bread and by the time you've added butter and jam for example you're adding an extra 200 calories per slice easily. And it's hard to just eat one yummy slice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Gaz

You want to be lifting as heavy as you can with the last set a real struggle, and adding weight every week (even if its fractional)
    You might be better off with something like 3x8 or 5x5 ... perhaps starting strenght (google that)

Your diet could do with a tidy up also .... Special K is total ****e, get some porridge and eggs into you.
    Aim to have a lean protein source at every meal , huge amount of veg and greens. And keep carbs wholegrain and ideally before/after training.

No you should not be snacking on toast ... snack on a handful of almonds , a spoonfool of peanut butter, carrot sticks etc.
    It still comes down to calories in vs calories out, work out your daily maintenance levels then add say 500cals of food on your training days.

With regards to supplements, I would recommend a good multi vitamin and some fish oils .... then perhaps a whey shake, this is just a quick and easy way of getting protein into you but remember it wont do wonders, its just a supplement to a good diet.

Best of luck

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

What are you squatting/deadlifting/benching.

Do you really need to do a split?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement