Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft has worked minor miracles with its new mobile phone operating system

• 25-02-2010 7:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

According to the Telegraph:
    Hats off to Microsoft -- a company that many of us had written off in the mobile phone market has come up trumps with a new operating system and fresh approach to the mobile platform that could -- for the first time in a very long time -- give Apple and Google something to worry about.

Linky.

According to the article, this is the Big One for Mircrosoft, the Mobile Phone OS that changes the game.

It is even not compatible with previous versions on Windows Mobile, so it appears this is a fresh start.

But can Microsoft challenge Google and Apple? The Zune has turned out to be a bit of a turkey, will the same happen for their new Mobile OS?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭fuelinjection

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    According to the Telegraph:

Yeah I don't want to see a minor miracle, I want to see a fast, reliable, mutimedia phone that handles multiple active programs.

My Nokia does that at the moment and so I see Windows in a "catch-up" mode only at the moment.
    Bear in mind three things ...

1. The phone is not launched yet, so we just talking speculation here.
    2. When the phone is lauched, there will be months and months of software/firmware errors and updates until it is stable like the current best-selling phones.
    3. "Change the game" is just the usual marketing lies, as the game is on now selling phones to us and Microsoft is just playing "catching up with the game"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Here is Microsoft's promotional video of Windows Mobile 7 in action. It looks good, but they have alot of catching up to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

It will be interesting to see who makes these, and what the specs are.

Can Microsoft pull this off? I don't think so. They failed miserably with tablet PCs, the Zune just can't compete with the iPod, they haven't yet got it right with Windows Mobile.

I remain somewhat cynical.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see who makes these, and what the specs are.

Can Microsoft pull this off? I don't think so. They failed miserably with tablet PCs, the Zune just can't compete with the iPod, they haven't yet got it right with Windows Mobile.

I remain somewhat cynical.

Why do you say that they failed with tablet pcs, given that they're a niche device anyway? Calling the Zune a turkey also strikes me as a bit odd given the praise of the hardware and sales are decent and that they don't push it through advertising or sell it outside of North America.

The more I look at it, Zune HD strikes me as being as a beta for the 7 services. MS also have a fairly major ace up their sleaves with Xbox integration. Finally, MS have the financial ability to buy success for series 7.

Advertisement